Options

Air Conditioner Vent Cover

Real easy peasy stuff but not sure how long it will hold. Grabbed a cable hiding tube from Home Depot and found a one and only looked like dining table place mat from my storage room, cut all these to size. Then glued the tubes to the existing frame(3 sides) of the vent. I also put extra silicone along the left vertical side of the frame to act as some sort of resistance so the place mat will not slide out easily. Not the most efficient way to stop draft from going into the camper but at least it will stop rain or water from direct splashing. What do you think? 

Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I’m wondering why you chose to have the closed end toward the rear of the trailer instead of the front end? Looks like you did a fine job-let’s us know how it works for you!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    The open end on the left has more room from top of the vent frame to the top of the camper, just in case the softer place mat has to be replaced by a stiffer material. But @jgram2, the right side of the frame would be a better choice as the open end because of the towing direction of the camper. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Update:

On my way home from camping yesterday and saw a white butterfly while driving. 5 minutes later a bulb lit up in my head and found that it was the place mat for the air conditioner vent cover. From now on I will only use it when NOT towing...

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    😂 Yeah, a giant butterfly.
    Maybe mount the frame so it loads from the top?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks @Sharon_is_SAM, that's one easy way out until I can come up with a better solution...
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I did this with thirty two 1/4x1/4 cylinder magnets on my 2015 T@B and on my newer 2018 T@B. That"s sixteen magnets in the frame and sixteen magnets on the cover for a total of 32 magnets. Tested it out at 65 MPH over the roughest RR tracks in the area and two 3,000 mile round trips to Massachusetts. The magnets are ALWAYS pulling. I glassed all wood work then painted.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    At this late hour I don’t have a pic, but I cut a piece of clear plexi to fit, lined the edges with foam insulation tape, and secured it with 3 j bolts with wing nuts. All stainless steel. Road tested. 👍
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Great ideas! @gulfarea and @4ncar. Thank you for sharing. Pictures when you have the opportunity will be awesome, @4ncar.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @T_BDancing, if you do a search at the top of the page for “j bolt” (without the quotes), it takes you to the @4ncar writeup.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”