Options

WWYD?

Camping in Oklahoma this season hasn't been real good.  Early spring historic floods, record rain fall, Heat and high humidity.  Finally took a chance and headed out for a short trip to a local Core property for a couple days and wanted to try out the new Jack it bike rack from All Pro.  Worked great and got to finally use the bikes.  Thought we had a nice peaceful spot on the lake with not many around.  Gate agent said she had 36 checking out that day.  Low and behold, the tide rolled in.  Here came the land yachts and large 5th wheel monsters.  All the lights games outside TV's and all!  early next morning some one got out the electric weed blower and spent the next half hour blowing the out door rugs off.  Eventually it was time for our departure and we set about breaking camp.  Finally rolled the 400 up to the hitch and hitched up.  Got everything finalized and loaded for the road.  Hit the ignition key in the tow vehicle and CLICK, CLICK, CLICK.  Dead battery.  Well, being prepared as we try to be, got out the 2 amp smart charger and dug out the extension cord .  Let it charge for a while but still no go.  People walked buy and no one even thought to ask if we were having problems ( hood up and milling around the engine compartment).  Finally, contacted a neighbor several spots down and got a jump. First thing he asked, do you have jumper cables? (yes, I always carry some) He told us how he liked our 400 and we talk a bit.  Since the truck was now running , proceeded home.  Got home and spotted the T@B  for unloading.  Thought surely the battery was up now so shut it off.  Came back out to put the T@B in the shop for storage until next trip but the battery was dead.  Out of the shop came the other car for a jump.  When the T@B was safe and sound put away for the next trip,  into town for a new battery.  Before the battery was installed and with the truck still running ran an electrical check.  Charging system checked ok,  Battery was toast!
WWYD? What would you do if this happened while out in the boonies or camping somewhere there was no one to help?  Yes, there is this great big battery in the T@B, but how to hook it up some distance away.  I know that you can never prepare for everything, but these things do happen. 

There was no sign the battery was bad it just died all at once.  Most of the batteries are that way now and it can leave you stranded!
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    My tow vehicle has an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle AGM, so it’s harder for me to kill in the first place (because I've been known to routinely kill lesser batteries.) In addition to jumper cables, I carry a little lithium jump pack in there 24/7, plus when camping, I have my Goal Zero Yeti 400 and my Noco Genius charger, which also can be plugged in to 110v or a generator. The battery would have to be completely dead for me not to be able to get things moving.

And, of course, there’s AAA/Good Sam or your insurance’s roadside assistance as an option.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    In the boonies I would have jumped it from my trailer battery.  I have a 320 so a simple open the tub and lift out the battery.    But I carry one of those lithium jump packs I got as a christmas gift a couple of years ago and it works well.  

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    2x on the lithium jump pack.  I charge mine on a house outlet the first of every month and check it before each trip.  In a real pinch, you could lift the battery out of the T@B and place it near the tow vehicle and use jumper cables.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    We carry a lithium jumper start pack in our truck, regardless of towing.  Those things really have revolutionized dead battery issues due to their size and portability.  

Costco frequently sells them for 60 bucks or so.  I still carry a pair of jumper cables, but I'll turn to the jump pack way before using them.

Also, you can always ask somebody next to you for help, even if they're ignoring you.  Worst case is they say no.

I'll even add this short story:

I had a BMW X5 a few years ago with an INCREDIBLY finicky electrical system.  I straight up just did not trust this vehicle.  I took it tailgating and the car next to us had a dead battery after the game.  They asked for a jump and I refused just because of how little I trusted my own car (this is before I had the jump pack referenced above).  I did stick around with them though and let them use my jump cables with another car and made sure they got going.

Net of my story, somebody might say no (for their own reasons), but they'll probably still want to help.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
     X4 on the lithium bump box, in my emergency kit in the bed of my truck, along with: snatch strap, jumper cables, blanket, water & cliff bars. Tools are under back seat.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    have considered the jump packs,  usually when the TV battery goes it goes without any warning. Once you can excite the alternator and get the engine to turn over it will start and run.  In fact you can totally remove the battery and drive on the alternator until you turn the engine off. Would be nice to just lift the T@B battery and use it for a source.  At 72, I man handled the battery from under the bed in our 400 to replace it with a new one at the first of this season.  The new one is only 120 pounds or so. That is less of an option out in the field without my tools to handle it.  It was the battery in the TV and not the T@B that was the problem.  I also have looked at the AAA and other services and unless you have additional riders on the policy, most of them are good for about 15 miles service or so in our area.  Mostly a situation such as this is a wake up call that can and will happen no matter what else you are prepared for.  
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    This year, on a month long ramble in the Pacific Northwest, we boondocked in some remote places. Anticipating distance from civilization, and in some cases 30+ miles from cell signal, gas or any other campers we upgraded our t@b battery to a group 31, 115ah battery, carried the previous battery with us (it still tested within new range) and also carried a 1,000 cc amp battery as a spare for our truck. We alternately put all batteries on solar charge to keep them topped off. We had additional propane tanks for our propane generator to back up the back-up, just in case. We left home with over 800 lbs of gear in the truck bed and returned with more than 1,100 lbs in there because I kept saying to husband and teenager "I like that rock". We brought home 3. One from Washington, Oregon and Utah. So yeah, you can never be too prepared.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    I replaced the battery in my Tundra with an Odyssey group 31 AGM battery as a precaution. Knock on wood we haven’t had any problems. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    For those of you taking additional precautions that include additional auto batteries: the Matco bump box I use is rated to start a Diesel engine, has a variety of adapters to charge all sorts of items, and is lithium ion and thus weighs hardly 5 lbs.  FWIW...i test Ted it on my cummins; it turned it. I have used it to assist others on the side of the road with dead batteries. They work, and they are LIGHT. They can be expensive; my Matco was $350.00.
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    a group 31, 115ah battery, carried the previous battery with us,.... carried a 1,000 cc amp battery as a spare for our truck.  We had additional propane tanks for our propane generator to back up the back-up, just in case.

"Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.”                                                                                                                      Major Kong

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Luck favors the prepared.       

Many of us forget that many folks who frequent this forum have zero technical knowledge or skills.     Something as basic as a dead TV is a big deal, to me it is just part of traveling.   I am also astonished how few people change their own flat tires, or carry a plug kit and know how to use it.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:
    Luck favors the prepared.       

Many of us forget that many folks who frequent this forum have zero technical knowledge or skills.     Something as basic as a dead TV is a big deal, to me it is just part of traveling.   I am also astonished how few people change their own flat tires, or carry a plug kit and know how to use it.

Im afraid to admit to how many plugs I’ve put into my tires of all my vehicals, with the exception of two: 1) the mini cooper(has run flats) 2) my drag cars
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2019
    Re: plug kit.  I posted a picture the other day of a campsite about 7 miles at the end of a Forest Service road on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  Woke up the next morning and my left rear tire was way down.  It held enough air to get me back to the facilities on the Rim, and I figured this was going to be a rough day:  the nearest "real" services were a long way away in Jacob's Lake.  I was directed to go 15 miles up the road to the North Rim Country Store, which has a two pump gas station.  I was assured the tire could be fixed there.  The guy came out with just a tiny ziplock bag of plugs and a spray bottle, stuff I hadn't seen in years and years. I thought this method was one of those "lost arts."  He plugged my tire in about 10 minutes ( with about a dozen other people watching) and I was on the road in less than 15 minutes.  Drove 500 miles home, and the plug was good for the next year when I replaced all the tires. 
    I bought a plug kit the next week!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi