Options

hot water tank, drain & turn off

How does one drain and turn off the hot water heater? Because of cold weather, I don't want any water in the system. I don't have water in the fresh water tank (or I thought I didn't. The panel by the sink (320s 2018) states I have 19 - is that %?).  Nor am I using shore water, or the toilet, etc.  Yes, I have read and re-read the manuals, but since I haven't had many trips yet, this system still is hard for me to understand. A simpler set of directions would sure be appreciated!  I haven't tried youtube yet, so that's next. Thanks for help. 

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2019
    Have you read the winterizing guides here?  Winterizing 102 has some hints on how to get all the water out of the water tank.  It just doesn't fall out, it needs a bit of help, like lowering the tongue, or if you are like me, raising the driver's side of the trailer to make sure.    The only real way to know your tank is (mostly) empty is when it stops coming out of the fresh water drain.
    There are also hints on how to drain the water with the valves near the Alde.  The Alde has a drain also.

The water tanks are easy compared to making sure the pipes themselves are clear of water so that the water doesn't freeze and expand the small pipes in the trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Glider11Glider11 Member Posts: 73
    Yes, I know about the winterizing steps, but because it includes adding antifreeze, I didn't want to do that in the short term if not necessary.  The water lines are what I'm concerned about. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Glider11, here is a step by step instruction that will help you drain your plumbing, blow out your lines and add limited antifreeze as most TaB owners do to prepare for winter.  To turn off your hot water heater, just turn off the Alde at the wall mounted control.  See if this guide helps.  Let us know if you have any more questions.  

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/6r/eust2xvs5t11.pdf

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Update (long time coming). My T@B 320's fresh water tank must sit too high.  Again, I've had trouble with it just running out normally in my back yard.  However, it still registered 38% full.  I opened up the valve and drove it around town.  Now down to 0.  Some days there is just too much to learn, too much maintenance to enjoy this lifestyle. Dealing with repair shops is a nightmare.  Taken advantage of so many times outweighs the good experiences - 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Glider11 - I would take off the corrugated undercover and look at the front of the water tank.  Maybe the tank is tilted or the drain line needs more of an angle.  Does it drain better if you elevate the driver side wheel?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    @Sharon_is_Sam - Yes, I've tried tilting.  Unfortunately, in my 320, the whole underside is covered with a black vinyl - with no apparent easy way to access it.  I won't even attempt it by myself, and I'm now again searching for an honest repair shop in my area.  Since I know it will empty when I leave the valve open while traveling, that will be the method I use.