Options

Water pump cycles about every two minutes.

BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
When I  turn on my water pump it builds up pressure and then stops. Then about two minutes later it comes on again, and repeats and repeats.  When I turn off the water pump and leave it off for a period, then I turn it back on, the pump runs until it builds up pressure again and then shuts off. Then, Second verse, same as the first.

I thought it first I might have a leak somewhere, but I cannot find it. Is there a check valve in the system that is possibly leaking? If so where is it located? 
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited October 2019
    Have you looked under the trailer for leaks?  If none, maybe it's the pump's own check valve, in which case would allow water to flow back into the tank. 
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    I’m leakless. If that’s a word.
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Air pocket?

The pump is seeing the pressure drop for some reason.   I am with Brian, for to be a leak
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Make sure the clear filter cap on the pump is well seated and tight.  Also, I remember a thread about adjusting the pump.  I will try to find it.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Here is the thread.  RollingBnB May 2018 entries at the bottom adjusted their Shurflo pump.  Includes YouTube video.  

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5588/pump-problems/p1
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @BogieMeister, I don't know if this episode I had last spring is similar, but wonder if it is somehow related to what you had..

https://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/comment/116667

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 258
    I'm a real rookie here.  How is the pump supposed work while dry camping?  I have only had my TAB 320S for a week.  The first time I tried it, it seemed like the pump came on and stayed on as long as the water was running.  Now, it comes on for 5-10 seconds, then stops for 5-10 seconds, etc.  Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Basil48192, your pump only pressurizes your water system from the fresh water tank. It is supposed to run until the system is pressurized and then it stops. It is not supposed to turn on again until you use the water, flushing or running the shower or faucet. The pump runs until the plumbing reaches the pressure shut off upper limit. The pump should not run if you are not using water. You should not be running the pump when on city water(hose hook up). While on city water use a pressure regulator, set to 50psi or below before the water enters the t@b, or you will damage the plumbing. Anything else?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 2020
    @Basil48192, just to piggy-back off @dragonsdofly's comments, IF all your faucets are turned off (i.e., kitchen sink, shower and outdoor shower....and toilet, of course), BUT the pump is occasionally running, that may indicate that you have a leak somewhere.  As the water leaks out, the pressure would drop and the pump will kick on to re-pressurize the water line as described above.  If that is what is happening, and it is turning on and off every 5-10 seconds, then I would think that is more than a very minor leak.

As an aside, I always turn off my water pump when not using the water from the trailer's fresh water tank.  I think that is a good practice.  It is especially important to turn off the pump if you are planning on being away from your trailer (e.g., out on a hike or sight-seeing.)  I say that, because in the unlikely event that you should suddenly spring a leak in a water line, there will not be  water actively being pumped through the water lines.  
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options

@Bayliss and dragonsdofly, Thank you!  But I didn't describe my situation properly.  If I am not 'running' water, the pump stays off as it should.  When I let the water run continuously, the pump cycles on and off, as long as the water is running (again, about 7 seconds on and 7 seconds off).  Previously, the pump tended to continue running as long as the water was running.  I'm guessing that maybe there was air in the system the first few time I used it, so it never came up to full pressure.  So, my question should be:  When the faucet is running, should the pump run continuously or cycle on and off?  Thanks again!
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    @Basil48192, that’s normal operation.  It takes a few seconds of the water running for the pressure to drop enough to trigger the pump, which will then turn off again when it raises the pressure sufficiently.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yes, thus us the way it works.  If you wantbtonreducebthe cycles, you can add a small marine water accumulator tank, which will pressurize with the pump, and continue to add pressure as the tank drains, then cycle the pump.  This curs down the number of pump cycles, and reduces battery drain.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank you to all.  Opening the water valve all the way also reduces the cycling.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Denny16 said:
    Yes, thus us the way it works.  If you wantbtonreducebthe cycles, you can add a small marine water accumulator tank, which will pressurize with the pump, and continue to add pressure as the tank drains, then cycle the pump.  This curs down the number of pump cycles, and reduces battery drain.
    cheers
    Hello!  Have you done this? If so, still happy?   And model/ where?  Thanks! 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus - @kottum installed one in his Airstream.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2022
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    Thank you, Denny16!
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT