Options

Using the Alde Heater instead of winterizing

HoodsportBoondockHoodsportBoondock Member Posts: 4
I live in the Puget Sound area.  Our typical winters rarely get below freezing, although we do get a lot of rain.  We can, however, get cold snaps that go as far down as the teens at night for a two to three week period.  This is somewhat atypical, but possible. It is also possible that the temperatures will barely dip below 32.  I plan on covering my T@B 320S with a cover from the Teardrop shop.  I will be putting some damprid into it because of the humidity as sometimes heavy rain and the attendant dirt and moss is a guaranteed event.  

So, enough of the background.

I have considered doing a full blown winterization of the water system.  But I am also considering simply hooking up the electricity to the house and either running the Alde system or using a space heater.  Either way, I would simply use it to heat the trailer just enough to keep it above about 50 degrees inside when the temperatures look like they are going to get too cold.

Is there any reason not to do this?  I know the Alde has an exhaust, but I was thinking that was for gas operation and I would be using electricity.

Admin note: corrected spelling of “Alde” for search function use. Verna

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    There are sections of plumbing that do not benefit completely from heating the cabin. The area down behind the toilet comes to mind, as does any plumbing under the trailer. Any water left in those pipes could still freeze even if the inside temp is 50F.
    In addition--unless you are looking to have the trailer always ready to go--it seems like this would create unnecessary wear and tear on your Alde components, increase risk of damage from power outages/surges, and waste lots of electricity. To me not worth it just to avoid a relatively easy task that will let you forget everything until next season. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2019
    The alde exhaust still gets hot running on electric, just not as hot. 

FWIW, we live in Seattle and have no plans to winterize. We do keep our T@B in a heated garage (barely qualifies as a garage). Last year we got a week in the 20’s (which is very rare for the area). If that happens again, I plan on putting a small space heater in the structure to keep it above freezing. 

I think you’d be fine for 95% of winter without winterizing in the Seattle area and just be prepared / watch the weather for those rare ‘cold streaks’. 
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You can, but you don’t need to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank or the plumbing lines.  You can blow our your lines and add antifreeze to your sink/shower P traps, down your tanks to coat the valves and leave some in the toilet bowl to prevent the rubber from drying out.  You would need to drain and blow out your outside shower if you have one.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2019
    If you try this I would open all areas possible including door below the sink, take cushions/panels off driver's side and tie up the access hatch behind the toilet. I would also open all water valves. The portable heater might be a better choice and save your Alde for camping. :-) 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    I did this one year, when there were only a few more weeks left of freezing weather.
    Left all areas open, as @MiquelCamo suggests, and I put a small (computer) fan in the bench below the AC unit, blowing forward through the space under the shower.
    It worked fine, except the black and gray tanks' drain valves weren't protected (heh, they're outdoors!), and I got a small hairline crack in the gate valve for the black tank.
    That was the year I learned it was important to put antifreeze in the gate valves!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Going the compressed air blowout method is inexpensive, assuming you have or can borrow a compressor for an hour. Even buying one at Harbor Freight is a one time $40 expense that will last through multiple winters. Going the antifreeze-only route is $10-15 for the good stuff.

Going the heat route? You have a barely insulated camper, and Puget Sound Energy isn’t nearly as cheap as it once was. No way it’ll cost you $10 or less to keep a trailer at 50° over the winter.

I just can’t see the point of risking a freeze instead of the using the cheap and easy solution of winterizing when you’re storing the camper, or even when you’re planning cold season campouts. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW