how do you cook in your tab?

Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
I have a 2019 tab 400. It has two burner stove and microwave. I also have an outdoor two burner camping stove with a small grill.
If I need the microwave boondocking I have a generator.
I only got the tab new in June this year. All of my camps have been with LOWs where we share the cooking.
So when I retire I intend to do a lot of touring. So cooking my own food comes to mind. I did buy a small slow cooker but I've never used it. I also have a teeny electric toaster. How do you guys feed yourselves? What do you eat when you are on the road?

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Out door camp stove in good weather, T@B 2 burner in the rain/cold. Stove top toaster: 
    Folding Camp Stove Toaster Stainless Steel Camping Toaster Rack Holder 4 Slice Toaster Tray Cooking Breakfast 4 Toast Bread Toaster Holder Rack for BBQ Party Outdoor Hiking Camping Fishing Picnic

Also have a Weber Q2000 but rarely drag it along.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• YumpyYumpy Member Posts: 1
    We took a 6-week trip in our 2019 T@B 400 this summer and probably ate better than we did at home.  We had a small Volcano grill and sometimes grilled whatever was available locally---asparagus and whitefish in Michigan in the early summer, sausages in Wisconsin, salmon in Washington---you get the idea.  We often did a salad-in-a-bag kit with an added protein.  We bought salads to eat for entrees at grocery store delis.( like pasta salad...added salami or chicken)   The freezer is awesome, so we always kept frozen meals for a quick skillet- or microwaved cooked meals.  Breakfasts were usually bacon and eggs in the skillet with Texas toast and sometimes french toast or Krusteaz Buttermilk pancakes. For coffee, I bought a collapsible pour-over coffee funnel, so we boiled water in a tea kettle and made fresh coffee by the cup.  We don't have any additional appliances and did just fine. 

• MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    We've only cooked in the summer using an old Coleman stove and charcoal grill. Expect limited use of the propane cooktop inside and a small microwave we purchased if its too cold outside. We also purchased a small rice cooker that might come in handy. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    No extra electrical appliances either.    We have moka pot we use for coffee.  Can't say we miss the microwave.

Not sure we cook any different on the road vs home.   

I am inspired to seek more local offering.....

We have a small propane grill we carry and have only used it a hand full of times.   Not sure how many more trips we will carry it unused.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No additional electrical appliances.

I have an outdoor Coleman Fold & Go propane stove/grill/griddle, an outdoor butane stove and the 400’s indoor propane stove.  Sometimes the butane stove is easier and quicker than the Fold & Go.  My breakfast of scrambled eggs and turkey sausage is normally cooked inside giving me an opportunity to be ready to greet the world outside 😉

I grill fish outside, chicken outside, burgers outside, shrimp outside, last Thanksgiving was grilled turkey tenderloins outside with all the fixin’s on whichever burner was vacant. A typical meal is protein and a fresh salad or other fresh veggies. 

I pretty much cook like I did at home, except I no longer have a microwave. 

In dreary weather, I cook inside on the propane stove, using the Fantastic Fan to exhaust fumes, if needed.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We cook outdoors by setting up a kitchen area with the Coleman fold n go grill and a small one burner camp stove. Inside we use the 2 burner stove, and we don't have a microwave. I bought cooking appliances that don't require electricity--a pour over Melitta coffee carafe, a toaster that you put on the propane stove, and a thermal cook pot that works like a crockpot except that you boil your food on the stove for about 10 minutes, then put the pot inside an insulated larger pot and leave it closed. In about 6 hours, you have hot food ready to eat. All this allows me to make pretty much anything I want with just propane for the fuel source. Plus, with the 400, I have the option of cooking inside outside, or both! 
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I have the 320S. I also bring my old two burner Coleman stove to cook outside, and picked up a $20 CharBroil propane grill which works well. I’ve also got the Coleman oven that sits on my Coleman stove outdoors for baking. It would get too hot inside the Tab and damage things. I do have a small crockpot that I use sometimes. I don’t miss my microwave when camping. I’ve got the Stanley French Press which I love, and the pot can double as a cook pot for other foods, especially corn on the cob. I tend to cook onions and salmon outside, but whatever I’ve cooked inside hasn’t left any smells either. The fantastic fan works well. Good luck and Bon Appetite! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    Since we usually stay in KOAs or Good Sam parks with electric hookups, I invested in a 12" electric skillet 2 years ago and used it during our great adventure to Prince Edward Island, starting from Oklahoma City and back.

Can do breakfast (eggs, sausage patties, and honey buns in the skillet if I'm careful with the space and temperature.  Or, get some of the frozen pasta meals in a bag at the grocery store - they are a one pot meal.  It's teflon so cleanup is very easy.  Since we have a 2006 Dutchman Clamshell, I don't use any other electrical appliance when the skillet is on since it draws 11 amps.  We also use a hot pot to boil water for coffee and dishes - we use the Starbucks Via instant coffee for convenience.  I shared some of the Via coffee with a couple guys in a Texas campground once just to get their reaction, but they said it tasted good!

My five pound propane tank has lasted 3 years now, if you're paying for the electricity, might as well use it!

I always take a Coleman 2 burner stove but very seldom use it - emergency only.

Experiment to find what suits you best!

(PS:  I do all the cooking when we're out - Cheryl does not object at all!!)

John
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited October 2019
    Generally use a 2 burner Coleman propane stove outside, and we carry a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill.  If it’s not raining or too cold, we cook outside.  Use a teapot and a Aero Press for coffee-making.  We will usually prep soups, chili, etc. at home before we leave, then freeze them, so it’s only a matter of reheating while camping. We will also carry something to grill.  If in the pioneer mood and cooking for a group, I’ll take a cast iron dutch oven and cook a breakfast casserole or cobbler over coals.
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've had a 2007 Clamshell since new, rarely used the stove, so I removed it. I also camp with hookups. For my cooking, I use instant hot water, a microwave, a toaster oven, a crockpot. When hubby comes along, we also use a charcoal grill and a portable induction burner.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    TNOutback:
    +1 on the Camp Style Dutch oven (I forgot).
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Where can I get the hot water crockpot from?
    @Tundra57 I got my thermal cooker from Amazon. If you look up thermal cookers, you'll see all different kinds and prices. The particular brand I bought isn't available currently, but it was a middle of the road price compared to others. It has two stainless pots, a large one and a smaller one that fit together. They all fit inside the insulated outer pot. I've used it for homemade marinara, and to "bake" russet potatoes that can be crisped up on the grill in just a few minutes. No electricity needed! 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We replaced our stove top toaster with this and enjoyed bagels this past trip.  Be careful though, it can get away from you! We used it across both burners.  It looks like you can use it on 1 burner and maybe cook on the other burner.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Newbomb_TurkNewbomb_Turk Member Posts: 18
    Coleman gas stove outdoors. I had a cutting board custom sized to fit over the cooktop and voila! - instant counter space!

• OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    Indoors - Boiling and simple non messy stuff. Outdoors on a Coleman - Anything that involves grease and frying.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Mixed bag of cooking..I prefer using the stove for one pot meals (american goulosh)... That can be reheated in the onboard microwave  (shore power)...do bring the 3 at instant pot so I can make banana bread in it! And of course the bbq comes too, since hubby needs to keep up his grilling skills while we're away...😁...and yes we like to try to eat somewhat healthy while we're travelling.
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I love my Omni Stovetop oven. Homemade everything bagels are so yummy in the morning. If you use the silicone liner clean up is basically a wipe down.
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
    edited October 2020
    I have a version of the Omni ovencalled Wonder Pot, from Italy. It works the same way, but there aren't the silicone liners. I've used mine successfully for cornbread, brownies, apple crisp, and individual lava cakes. I haven't tried casseroles yet. I might try cupcakes this weekend, but we might not find the time for baking this trip. It's pretty great, though! 
  • PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    edited October 2020
    @Deb55 I never heard of a thermal cooker before, I am intrigued.  If you have to saute ingredients, or brown meat, do you do that in a separate pan and then put it all together in the thermal cooker to boil?
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

@PNWtabber you can saute any of your ingredients first in the same stainless pot, before adding the liquid. 
  • Cheryl13Cheryl13 Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2020
    We just are finishing a month trip with combination of boon docking and full hookup.  I have used the  Omnia several times for baking, and all other meals on the propane stove.  No problems.

Edited for photo size.
    2021 T@B 400
    2019 Subaru Ascent
    @Cheryl13..like that it fits nicely on the new stove..looks yummy too!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • TerryHutchinsonTerryHutchinson Member Posts: 45
    I have been watching youtube videos produced by Forestry Forest.  He is a Canadian guy who travels about in his mini van, camps, and scramble hikes various 2 and 3k meter peaks.  Oddly entertaining, brief videos.  Anyway, he loves his food.  Watching him preparing his occasionally elaborate meals in his very cramped van can be a real inspiration in not letting limitations cramp your goals.
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    PNWtabber said:
    @Deb55 I never heard of a thermal cooker before, I am intrigued.  If you have to saute ingredients, or brown meat, do you do that in a separate pan and then put it all together in the thermal cooker to boil?
    If you are handy sewing, there are patterns available on line for making a wonderbag/thermal bag cooker.  My wife made some for gifts a couple years ago.  They are pretty odd looking but they do work.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • TiwiTiwi Member Posts: 9
    Wonderbag is a great thing. It really makes the process easier. I didn't sew my (I just don't have a sewing machine), but I think it wouldn't be too difficult. 
  • rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2020
    I learned from my parents to never cook protein or fry anything inside a camper. The smells and oils given off by cooking soak into all the surfaces/fabrics over time. Every camper they traded in or sold over the years went for top dollar. We did the same for our 2012 Rockwood - only heated up veggies and canned goods and did all other cooking outside. The dealer we consigned it to in June this year mentioned that it still smelled "new" inside even though we camped 60-75 nights a year in it. I mean, you're camping...why cook indoors?
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
    Having been inspired by @Cheryl13..I too am now an omnia oven owner... can't wait to try making bread!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Mostly on the stove, some grilling outside on a portable grill. Do you cook outside at home? Does the value of your home go down because you used the kitchen, the bathrooms, etc? I bought a camper to use it and not necessarily to be in a primitive camping situation, if I wanted that I could of saved $30k and kept using a tent and Colomen stove.

Also for me I use the Tab so far more as living quarters for work travel, saves renting a hotel, I can take my wife and dog and often be much closer to work site.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite