Options

Is my battery charging while plugged into shore power?

Just bought a 2010 T@B while driving home from Minnesota to Alaska, so we had a trial by fire on the road, camping from day one with no manuals. 

We tried hard to find campgrounds with plug-ins but that gets difficult in mid-October as most campgrounds close up.  We were pretty successful finding shore power until entering Canada from Montana.  We had no battery power even after a couple nights on shore power so I bought a 4 amp charger that finally showed a complete charge after about 16 hours of charging.  We still didn't have battery power then realized that a fuse was blown in the WFCO WF-8700 Power Center. Voila! Lights and heat!  Is that 20 amp fuse crucial to charging?

I'm not convinced that my battery is charging when plugged in to shore power.  How would I know?  I know I'm not charging while driving because I only have a 4-pin on our little Audi A3 Quattro (which pulled like a champ, btw). Should I be at full charge after a night on shore power?

Comments

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Yes, that fuse is critical to charging, and if your battery is deeply discharged, it is critical to have NOTHING running while it's charging with the converter. To test the state of your battery, get a voltmeter. Also, since you deeply discharged your battery, you might have it checked by an auto place.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    I think if you had a healthy battery and converter and only discharged to no more than 50%, it should recharge overnight on shorepower.  But, current TaB models use a different WFCO model than the converter in the 2010.  Not sure if you would benefit from a newer, better converter.  How old is the battery?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Based on your description, "that fuse" is what effectively connects your battery to your converter. If it is blown or removed, it's just like removing the positive lead from the battery--the converter can't charge the battery when on shore power, and the battery can't supply power to the converter when not on shore power. Exactly the symptoms you described!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @AlaskaDave, I'm wondering how your trailer brakes work with only a 4-pin.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @BrianZ, the Dutchman T@‘s have surge brakes.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    AlaskaDaveAlaskaDave Member Posts: 3
    The 4-pin connector is not compatible with trailer brakes or charging. We had no problem operating without trailer brakes although I drove very carefully until confident. We had zero sway even in high cross winds and heavy snow connected to a simple and wimpy Class I hitch that I bought from eTrailer and bolted on in about 20 minutes.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    The 4-pin connector is not compatible with trailer brakes or charging. We had no problem operating without trailer brakes although I drove very carefully until confident. We had zero sway even in high cross winds and heavy snow connected to a simple and wimpy Class I hitch that I bought from eTrailer and bolted on in about 20 minutes.
    If you have a 2010 the trailer was built with surge brakes. If you don't feel them kick in when you brake hard you might want to have them checked.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Actually, his 2010 "might" have electric brakes. Some of the last units were put on T@DA frames. If his frame is a black box frame, then it does have electric brakes.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    AlaskaDaveAlaskaDave Member Posts: 3
    Actually, his 2010 "might" have electric brakes. Some of the last units were put on T@DA frames. If his frame is a black box frame, then it does have electric brakes

It does indeed have a black box frame.  It also has a "Thor" emblem near the door.
    If the surge brakes are the contraption up by the hitch, I do not have them.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Actually, his 2010 "might" have electric brakes. Some of the last units were put on T@DA frames. If his frame is a black box frame, then it does have electric brakes.

Interesting.  I didn’t know that. So they went to electric at the end of the Dutchman run, and then Pleasant Valley went back to surge, and then back to electric? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Yes, the last few of the 2010 Dutchmen's were a bit of Frankenstein units. They used whatever parts they had laying around. Apparently they had more T@B bodies than they had Al-Ko frames, and they had extra T@DA frames, so that's what they did.

Thor is the parent company of Dutchmen, so yes a Thor sticker was standard.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    Harvest, AL