Boondocking Coffee in the 400

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    @Ratkity @DougH you can add me to the "store in an airtight container" camp.   When you have bought a whole bean coffee roasted within the last few days, trying to keep that bean "fresh" against the ravages of time and oxygen is a challenge, so the airtight container is the best for me.  Even with the container, I can tell by the quality of the shots my Rancilio produces that the beans are a bit past their peak.  Not that they making "bad" coffee, but I can see the shot is different.
    I've had several friends press me on this, and I have them bring over their whole bean coffee from the supermarket that has no date on it. Using my exact same routine, (bean weight, grind, extraction time) the older coffee never performs well.  In an expresso machine, at least.  I liken coffee to fruit:  you aren't going to have a good experience with a banana two weeks past "just ripe."

If you ever get a chance, snack on a few coffee beans fresh from the roaster, still warm.  The bean has a "crunchy" "crackly" character from all the expanded gases inside the bean that have been brought out in the roast process.  As time and oxygen do their thing to the bean, it loses those gases, the bean contracts, and makes it harder to process out the solids that make good coffee.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @pthomas745, if I ever go to a great roaster and taste a freshly roasted bean, I'm not sure how quickly my friends or sister could yank me away before I ate so many I could walk on the ceiling! :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2018
    There was a place in downtown Ft. Worth that used to serve "Rocket Fuel".  A frozen coffee drink like the S***b**** Frap****, but with a triple shot of espresso added, then a couple heaping tablespoons of espresso grounds as well.

I made the mistake of trying one.   Only once.

Two thirds of the way through I started sweating and getting heart palpitations.  Thought I might need to go to the ER.

I know....  what a wuss.  Too scary for me though.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Yeah, I hear the water in Ft. Worth can be rough.
    2017 Outback
    edited December 2018
    DougH said:
    There was a place in downtown Ft. Worth that used to serve "Rocket Fuel".  A frozen coffee drink like the S***b**** Frap****, but with a triple shot of espresso added, then a couple heaping tablespoons of espresso grounds as well.

I made the mistake of trying one.   Only once.

Two thirds of the way through I started sweating and getting heart palpitations.  Thought I might need to go to the ER.

I know....  what a wuss.  Too scary for me though.
    @DougH I understand! I can drink my Moka Pot and that's all for the day. I have a hard time with the energy drinks. What's more concerning for me is that I have seemed to have inherited all my Mother's allergies. Ugh. One allergy she has is to coffee (caffeine?) and she loves coffee. She gets palpitations just drinking a little decaf (rem reg coffee is 97% caffeine free while decaf is 99% caffeine free). There's still a little bit in it. I have a fear that I'll inherit that allergy (or reaction.. tis not a true allergy - sez the microbiologist). Meanwhile.... I know I will NOT be drinking any Rocket Fuel!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    P.S. I keep editing my silly post. I'm decaffeinated!! hehe.
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    And you thought that it's a challenge to make good coffee in a T@B.
    https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/video-coffee-and-the-solo-sailor
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I am a little queezy just watching that!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ExposeTheWildExposeTheWild Member Posts: 2
    Here's a video on making espresso style coffee in your T@B trailer! 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QlsfbaKZh0
    Chris & Lesley near Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge; towed w/ 2017 RAM 1500  
  • tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 60
    You might try this. I used a French Press with coffee ground in advance. It still seemed like the grounds found there way all over the T@B. Tried this cool brew from Whole Foods and I’m happy with it. Quick and no mess. There are tons of brands out there, but I liked this one, plus it has a cool measuring system built in.
    2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD
  • Todd77Todd77 Member Posts: 34
    I use a stainless steel filter (can't remember the brand) and go the pour over route.  If I want more than one cup I will pour over a thermos style container (like hydroflask or Klean Kanteen).  Takes up very little space and i'm smiling each morning:)
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    ChanW said:
    Heh. I don't know about grind time, just 28 grams of fine grind coffee, 30secs brew time. Top off with whole milk to make 16oz... Perfect coffee every time!
    That's not coffee... ;)
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • HAWAIIANTABHAWAIIANTAB Member Posts: 18
    Can't beat the simple compact 'Melita' funnel drip coffee maker.  I've gone thru a dozen different and much more expensive, digital and breakable coffee machines, but have always returned to the Malita.................fool proof [says the fool]
    edited February 2021

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I ran across the Stanley French Press and really like it. It’s sturdy, water boils quickly, and can be used for cooking other things like an ear of corn. About $22 at WM.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
    *GASP* @Homebodyatheart! Do you want to give @DougH a heart attack? hehehehe <3

• Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @TerryV6, we use a Melitta pour over coffee pot, too, but ours has the stainless thermal carafe instead of the glass. It keeps the coffee hot for a longer time. No electricity needed! 
  • Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    Thx for the french press video DougH.  I'm going to try that tomorrow morning.  

I use a french press at home but when I'm camping I fresh grind organic medium roast coffee beans with a hand grinder (Peruvian, Ethiopian, usually a single source instead of a blend) then put the ground coffee into a drawstring bag meant for making cold brewed coffee.  

Grinder:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013R3Q7B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bags:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072MGP456/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I pour boiling water over the bag, dip it up and down several times to wet all the coffee then let it sit for 5-8 minutes.  

It's very convenient to do it this way when camping as then the bag can simply be thrown away.
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    We place an old fashion peculator on the gas stove filled with course ground coffee. Great tasting with a little practice !
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
    I surrender to DougH again, who wins every one of these coffee threads with his spectacular machines.

I'll throw the Aeropress back into the mix, because it makes a great cup of coffee.  And the clean up is completely effortless in comparison the the french press.

2017 Outback
    edited November 2019
    I surrender to DougH again, who wins every one of these coffee threads with his spectacular machines.

I'll throw the Aeropress back into the mix, because it makes a great cup of coffee.  And the clean up is completely effortless in comparison the the french press.

I have used the Aeropress and it was easy clean-up and decent flavor. I had to play with the grind to get the richness correct. My Bro-in-law gave me some tips on how to get the best flavor out of the Aeropress. His sis is an Aeropress expert.
    Now, I've heard even better things about the nanopress, especially with the Barista Kit. That makes it a two shot espresso machine (who drinks just one shot?). The Aeropress doesn't have the pressure needed to be strictly called espresso, but the nanopress does. I'll give a report as soon as it arrives!
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited November 2019
    Here's a good camp coffee recipe that my brother and I use:
    Get a one gallon cowboy coffee pot with the porcelain coating.  Fill it with river water. Dump most of a can of cheap ground coffee in along with a couple pickled eggs.  Add a couple tablespoons of used motor oil to prevent sticking.  Boil over your evening fire for 3 hours or until most of the liquid is gone.  Drink a bottle  of Jack Daniels by the fire. Set the coffeepot off to cool overnight. In the morning, add 3 cups of river water and reheat.  
    Enjoy!

(I love this thread! But it should be titled: "Camping while you are french!"
    I'm also a bit confused by all of the comments about "cleaning" (??) Your coffeepot?? What for???

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
    @WilliamA We heard it will be below zero around Baraboo tomorrow.  BRRR!  Fond memories of trying to van camp without a heater in Wisconsin one night when it hit 30 below.  I think that area creates stronger than average folk.

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    DougH,
    It could also be the coffee?  We had 3 deg F this morning.  Light jacket weather...lol
    WilliamA

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I went with the AeroPress as it's unbreakable and compact. It makes very good coffee but not enough for me. I think it needs more grounds per cup because the brew time is shorter than the 6 minutes I use for my home french press. Even if you wait for it to steep, quite alot of liquid drains through before much time passes. Having a 320 T@B, there is no inverter to allow an electric percolator.  My routine is simply heat water in a kettle that provides for both coffee and my dose of oatmeal. A second cup can be brewed as needed right over the first without ejecting the "puck".
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @dCliffhanger, use the Aeropress in the upside-down mode! It works much better all around.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    ChanW said:
    @dCliffhanger, use the Aeropress in the upside-down mode! It works much better all around.

Hey that method looks like it will allow as much brew time as I want! Cool!  There is little precision allowed in my brewing process. No scale, not even a measuring cup. I have the 2 Tbs measure that came with and my coffee cup. No room in a T@B for extraneous items! Thank you!
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    A few tips on Aeropress. I use a small burr grinder and don't weigh or measure my beans or the ground coffee. Instead I time the grind and with my grind settings I find 18" of run is just right, this is a bit of experimentation to find out the time, but requires no measuring. I find that a very fine grind also works better.

I pretreat the paper filter by adding boiling water to the press and draining before adding the coffee.

After adding coffee and water, insert plunger then pull up slightly to create a vacuum. This allows a longer steep time if you want, my standard time is 105 seconds, but this can be whatever you like.

The Aeropress gets used at home as well as camping, I probably have well over 1000 cups of coffee with it and no issues with wear yet.

Once you perfect the grind and timing, it makes a very good cup consistently anyplace.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite