Best Weight Distribution Hitch for T@B 400?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited January 2019 in Trailer & Towing
Hi, any recommendations on a weight distribution hitch? I'm leaning toward the Anderson because it is light weight.  I dont need a real heavy duty one since the T@B 400 isnt a real heavy trailer obviously.  Thanks. 

Comments

• PJ123PJ123 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Ya robyn769!  Is there or have you noticed the WARNING label on the tongue of your 400?  It cautions against excessive tongue weight, towing with an  extended hitch and such.  It also cautions against towing with a weight distribution hitch greater than 750 lbs.  It's something to keep in mind...just sayn'..
    Pete & Jeanne 2019 T@B red and grey 400 Boondock Lite..TV 2015 Nissan Frontier, Southern Louisiana
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2019
    Thanks for that info. I was doing research so I would be best prepared.  Very good specific information since I don't have mine yet.  I will definitely take this into consideration. 
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2019
    I use a this WDH.

Fastway e2 Weight Distribution w/ 2-Point Sway Control - Trunnion - 6,000 lbs GTW, 600 lbs

I like it so far, got about 2200 miles on it so far pulling the 400. I did stage it for a 400 WDH on my Canyon. It is heavy though, watch out for the total weight on your Tow Vehicle.

NOTE: The C Channel size on the 400 required me to contact Fastway and get their correct mounting brackets. It was free but again their headquarters was only 15 miles away :) This was documented in one of their installation docs.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    edited February 2019
    @Robyn769 once set properly the Andersen will be the lightest and imho the best for your use. The issue a lot of folks complain about them not working is usually because they don't adjust them properly. All the other eq hitches have very heavy hitch heads, bars that have to be connected and removed and of those style the e2 and equal-izer are best from my experience.  My joy in having the 400 is I no longer needed an equalizing hitch when I had my Nissan Frontier
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Thanks LSkrabut.  I almost bought the Canyon as my tow vehicle. I'm kind of wishing I had went with it now instead of the Jeep.  I haven't heard of the Fastway, so I will definitely check that out.

Thanks Big Grover, I'm going to reconsider the Andersen hitch.  I am quite concerned about the added weight of the heavy models.  The thing I liked most about the Andersen was its weight.  I just watched a youtube video and the guy was showing how its tricky getting the triangle plate straight. It looked like a pain in the butt to me, but maybe not....and probably less of a pain than lugging the heavier WDH's around. By the way, I saw a truck like your Ram listed above ion my way to work this morning and I loved it on the road.  Got me kind of considering busting the bank and buying a used Ram 1500 with the hemi!

The T@B dealer was recommending the Husky Center Line. 
    @robyn769 i am sure the dealer is pushing what they stock that's the way they are.  Probably has a store room full of them.  Watch a few more youtube videos about the Andersen to see what else you can find out.  Reese used to make a smaller, lighter WDH don't know if they still do or not.  You might make an inquiry at etrailer.com.  They are pretty quick to follow up. So far I love my Ram and how easy it is to pull the 400 with it!
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    @robyn769, check into the Reese Steady Flex 400 lb TW
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • That's a good point. They did say the Husky is what they normally use.  I will look into the Reese as well.  Thanks.  I need all the help I can get with this.  My brain is smoking!
  • NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    When I purchased my T@B 400 General RV in North Canton, Ohio told me that they could not install a WDH because of the u Channel frame. I ended up with just a sway bar (that I needed according to my Tacoma's manual. They sway control help a lot with the windy conditions I encounter regularly. I was wondering with others were able to put Weight Distribution Hitches on their 400s
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
    @ncnative I had a Forest River Aframe trailer that had the C channel framebthat the dealership installed a WDH on
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    I am fairly new to all of this, I wonder if the dealer just did not feel like putting a WDH on...I am curious to know what the best WDH for a 400 is...I still might be interested in having one installed.
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @NCNative  depends on the tow vehicle.   Most of nucamps line shouldn't need it on a properly sized tow vehicle.     Too me a properly sized tow vehicle is not one that is only 100 pound shy of its max tow rating.   So what is your tow vehicle?

Everyone has an opinion
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
    I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off road with a tow package 6500 pounds tow capacity
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
    I was thinking of adding airbags to my Tacoma like @verna has
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
    edited February 2019
    @NCNative you don't need a WDH.  Plenty of folks are using Tacos and Frontiers for towing 400's with no problems.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    @BigGrover Thank you for the clarification, I feel heaps better knowing I should be ok. It was one thing I was still uncertain about!
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
    @NCNative not sure why you want or need one?   if your truck is squating a bit when loaded air bags can help,  I think for most of us they make more sense than helper springs.   the sway control is a good idea. 

I am from the KISS camp,  keep it simple stupid,    I have chased stuff like this myself.    
    @NCNative I did add 1000 lb Sumosprings to my Frontier just in case I wanted to haul a full load of firewood when pulling the T@b but really didn't seem to need them.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    @BigGrover how significantly did the springs change the ride of the truck?
  • MandoBikerMandoBiker Member Posts: 22
    I've been discussing WDH with my dealer for our 400 we pick up in spring and think we're going to go with the Fastway e2.  The dealer said it should be fine on the C Channel frame.  I also have a Nissan Frontier and probably don't need a WDH, but I do want some sway control for peace of mind, and assume I will have some rear end sag on the TV.  So, while not absolutely necessary, the WDH will take care of the sag, provide sway control, and alleviate some concerns I have about my rear axle weight rating given the tongue weight of the 400, which potentially could be 500+ lbs.  Air Springs don't take any weight off the rear axle like a WDH does.
    @MandoBiker this makes sense, I have heard different opinions regarding , springs vs, airbags, and WDH. Thank you for detailing your set up. I am a bit concerned about the weight in the back of my truck due to gear and my generator. 
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
    @Mandobiker i had like 1 1/2" of sag on my Frontier when hooked up to the 400.  Driving on the interstate at 75 I never encountered any sway even when pasding or being passed by semis
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • mkritzmkritz Member Posts: 4
    I have a Nissan Titan XD and will be getting a Tab 400 soon.  I'm not too worried about sag requiring a WDH but I do have concerns about sway and bounce.  Anyone out there with a larger TV have experience or recommendations
    Properly loaded sway is not an issue with the T@bs.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
    I have a sway bar as it was required for trailers over #2000 according to my manual. It helps a lot especially since there are almost always windy conditions wherever I travel. I also make sure to properly load my 400 so I don't have any issues
    N@VENOTSE
    SF Bay Area
  • MandoBikerMandoBiker Member Posts: 22
     @BigGrover, It's helpful to hear the positive experience you've had towing the T@B.  I still think that sway could be an issue with any trailer, depending on road conditions, wind, emergency stopping, etc.  As I said, WDH may be overkill but I'm of the better safe than sorry philosophy, plus I actually think a WDH simplifies things because then you get weight distr, sway control, height adjustability all in one package.  And many of the WD hitches allow backing up without unhooking unlike friction sway bars.
    You are correct about being able to have sway control with WDH hitches like the Equal-I-Lizer.  We usually do not tow more than two or three hours a day and just want to keep things simple.  At 70 yo those WDH hitch heads can be quite heavy.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    I had a sway bar setup on my '18 T@B 400. But when I went for my replacement '19 T@B 400 I elected to go the WDH setup. Both worked just fine and gave me the comfortable towing experience. But with the sway bar, backing up is a disconnect chore, ONE MUST REMEMBER or the a odds are you will bend your C-Channel frame. With the WDH hitch, backing up is not an issue and in my case is it very easy to forget the disconnecting factor with a sway bar in a moment where one must back up. 

The Fastway E2 round bar WDH is able to be staged for a 400# hitch weight. Another Note - E2 somewhere in a doc I read  (but can't relocate it) they offered a Inside and Outside link plate for our C-Channel which is 4.5". I got mine from them directly and for free, but gave them back what was in the package. I feel this is a must, so the link plates are installed and have no play and not damage the T@B 400 C-Channels.

I got a tongue scale and my experience of my loaded and unloaded tongue weight is anywhere from 370# to 450#. More stuff under and on the bed is where I find the biggest swing in tongue weight. But full Black water tanks come into play which are in front of the axle. 

Myself I might have a perfect tongue weight starting out, but in a traveling camp mode, the tongue weight moves all over. So again for my setup, I felt a WDH is the safest route to cover my bases in traveling.

Also when I staged my WDH, I barely stage it for forward weight bias on the truck front axle. But it still helped when I loaded my bed in the truck and that changes during a travel trip, stuff gets used or added, just like the trailer stuff does. Porpoising was one of the factors I looked into and it did help some.

I felt myself the WDH is a safety factor in my favor vs a sway bar vs nothing at all.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Thanks for your post Lskrabut.  You nailed several very specific questions I have on tongue weight and what impacts it where and the height of the 400 trailer.
  • OldcootcamperOldcootcamper Member Posts: 23
    Totally a newbie at this and recently picked up my BD Tab 400. I have the Toyota Highlander Ltd with factory installed tow package rated at 5,000 lbs.  But the tongue weight on the Tab is really problematic.

Went to a friend who runs a specialty trailer hitch shop and he also had concerns and said I absolutely needed a WDH.  He didn’t like the channel tongue and was worried about bolting through that. We went with a recurve R3 since it clamps on rather than bolts threw the tongue. He’s going to install it next week. 

But he saw another mounting issue. Regardless of whether you use a clamp on WDH or you drill through the frame, apparently the tub, which has a closed bottom is in the way and either has to be removed and repacked with the older Style propane holder, or at least has to be cut to allow the clamps through the bottom.  The propane tank has to be resituated inward a bit in the tub if we can keep it. 

Has anyone run run into this?  Seems like it should be a universal issue with the BD lite. 

just wishing i had a larger tow vehicle although my friend said I’d need a WDH even with something like a Tacoma, which I wanted to get originally, given the tongue weight.  

The more ore I read the more anxious I get