trim cracks 2016 320S

GDawgGDawg Member Posts: 34

I noticed a dozen trim  cracks in my T@B when I retrieved from winter storage. I saw previous posts on this issue but no “final solution”. I would either like to replace (if NuCamp has corrected the composition of the trim) or repair. I'd appreciate an update on this issue. Thanks

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

Comments

• DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    PVC cement, if marked as working on ABS, will dissolve and rebond the cracks if you can somewhat force the two areas together after application. 

Not sure what percentage of T@bbers get all new trim elements from nucamp, use plastic cement, or just ignore the problem.

ABS tolerates high heat relatively well, but it hates bitter cold. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• GDawgGDawg Member Posts: 34
    Thanks!

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,395
    I haven't heard any updates on the status of the planned trim upgrades. I opted for black duct tape to patch my cracks, which were limited to a single location. Hopefully there won't be any new ones when I pull the T@B out for this season.
    2015 T@B S

I've talked to the factory a couple times and found out that they are working on some kind of a permanent solution. What they are currently doing is directing dealers and owners to pre-drill holes before inserting screws and to not over tighten the screws. They aren't sure that their current solution will prevent cracking. I won't be buying new trim pieces until this gets figured out.

This is my first big disappointment in T@B. One year warranty on a known problem is not good customer service.

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    Not over tightening the screws makes sense. This allows for some movement for expansion and contraction, just like when you install vinyl siding. 
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Depending on the color of the trim, I wonder if you could make a somewhat decent looking fix out of Sugru.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Well I just uncovered my 2018 320s from winter storage and I have a second trim crack. Unfortunately mine is now out of warranty so this should be a fun exercise getting it replaced or repaired 😬
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI

Are the trim pieces ABS plastic?

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• mrhamptymrhampty Member Posts: 4
    We just purchased a 2016 Tab from a private owner. The trim pieces on the side with the AC vent have a couple of cracks. I understand they are more cosmetic than anything but they are going to torment me until I can get them fixed. Am I able to get the trim and replace myself? I am a total newby! Thanks
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    My 2015 unit has several trim cracks.  Since there is no solution, I opt to ignore them.  However, I AM disappointed in their appearance.
  • GeoffreyMorrisGeoffreyMorris Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2016 Q and live in MN.  Camper is stored outside and is always covered.

New cracks have formed each year.  

I am disappointed in the appearance as well.

I attempted to glue with ABS "glue". It didn't hold so I'm back to where I started. After examining the trim when I removed it from the T@B I do believe that the problem is that the trim was not pre-drilled with oversized holes for the trim expansion/contraction. I'll probably not purchase new trim pieces due to the cost. If anyone has a solution that doesn't involve buying new trim I'd be appreciative.

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

edited July 2019
    I went with a duct tape "Band-Aid"--you can color match if you like, or go with something wildly contrasting. Duct tape sticks well, will flex with temperature changes, and can be easily replaced when it gets too wrinkled.

It was little traumatic at first, but I got over it. I also opted not to replace the trim given the astronomical cost (half of which was shipping) and the lack of any assurance it wouldn't happen again.

nuCamp reports they are working with the manufacturer to improve the trim, but I'm not sure of the current status of that effort.
    2015 T@B S

Thanks

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    I have two sections of my black trim on my 400 which are cracked. They are to be replaced under warranty but before embarking on a long trip cross country I wanted to stabilize the cracks. I used:Scigrip 4--Weld-On 4 +Applicator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZYUN9D?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share   Which I chemically welded the cracks and after 9500 miles they haven’t changed. I am encouraged as this looks to be a satisfactory fix for future cracks. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts

I'll give it a try. I hate to take the trim off again but I'll do it if it improves the appearance of the trim. How did you hold the pieces together after you put the solvent on? When I used some other product, it was quick drying so I just held it in place with my hands.

Thanks

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

• DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    The solvent comes with an applicator with syringe tips. The solvent is thin viscosity so care should be given no to drip it on any other trim pieces as it will melt on contact. I applied masking tape on all surface I didn’t want affected. My cracks were only 3/4 the way edge to edge so they kept the pieces together while the weld cured. The curing process was pretty quick.   I didn’t take the pieces off the camper. I think you could stabilize the pieces with a strong tape for the short curing process. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts

Thanks. I'd have to see about that. The trim pieces are broken completely in multiple places as well as pulled apart. But I'll give it some consideration.

2016 T@B 320 S

2018 Honda Ridgeline

North Dakota

Mine was only broken in one place, but there were multiple complete cracks that made me skeptical that adhesive would do the trick. I went with the "full coverage" option (plain old duct tape, in my case) to ensure little pieces didn't eventually disappear into the wind. YMMV!
    2015 T@B S
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    This is a very interesting thread. today we found 3 of 4 trim pieces on the passenger side of our 2018 320S cracked through, and one piece (lower front driver side) cracked on the other. The trailer cracked today as we have photos of it Friday by coincidence with no cracks. The trailer was unused in the middle of our back yard. Temperature today was 25C for a high, though mostly sunny. Quite a surprise for us this afternoon! I hope this is unusual.
    Any thoughts on color of trim? I've heard black is bad for this... any other colours affected?
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    My first T@B did not have the plastic trim and I liked it. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    DougWW said:
    This is a very interesting thread. today we found 3 of 4 trim pieces on the passenger side of our 2018 320S cracked through, and one piece (lower front driver side) cracked on the other. The trailer cracked today as we have photos of it Friday by coincidence with no cracks. The trailer was unused in the middle of our back yard. Temperature today was 25C for a high, though mostly sunny. Quite a surprise for us this afternoon! I hope this is unusual.
    Any thoughts on color of trim? I've heard black is bad for this... any other colours affected?
    All colors are affected. Seems to be a combo of temperature extremes over time, possible UV degradation, and overtightened screws without predrilled holes in the trim that would better allow for expansion and contraction.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @gulfarea, that's a clamshell. Because of the kitchen hatch on the back, the clamshell units do not, and to my knowledge, never have had the plastic trim pieces.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    And mine without trim never leaked but my new one with trim has.
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    VictoriaP said:
    DougWW said:
    All colors are affected. Seems to be a combo of temperature extremes over time, possible UV degradation, and overtightened screws without predrilled holes in the trim that would better allow for expansion and contraction.
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. I was in contact with the dealership and they said that color was non-negotiable under warranty at any rate. If it started black it would end black unless I preferred to pay for the parts.
    the paper work has been filed. We will see where this goes.

...Doug

...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.