New owner - 2020 T@b 400 BDL w/solar (weights & pics!)

b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
edited May 2019 in Introductions

So I had been planning on reserving my ‘formal’ introduction until taking delivery of our new T@b, but I just received the first pictures of our trailer coming off the line, and honestly can’t wait! My wife and I have been joking about ‘getting old and buying an RV’ for nearly 25 years, and it is our 25th anniversary gift to each other. I guess we have arrived! 

We put in our order for a 2020 T@b 400 Boondock Lite w/solar, and we are now about a week from delivery (incredibly, only 1 to 3 days prior to our anniversary date!). It will have all of the late 2019 and 2020 changes, including:

• New (presumably faster-draining) bath sink, square (late-2019 change)
  • New Avia-style 'wand' shower head, single temp-control handle (late-2019 change)
  • Outlets near dinette moved below passenger-side cushion, WFCo moved to beneath passenger-side dinette seat
  • Dometic CoolCat A/C moved rearward (for weight & balance reasons); exterior screen for A/C intake on front-left driver side is thus gone (and is now a bottom intake, haven’t seen a picture yet?)
  • Kitchen sink no longer has p-trap, giving extra storage room (mid-2019 change)
  • New vinyl flooring, almost with a 'macro' cross-hatched appearance
  • ‘Booondock Edge’-style aluminum trays now installed on tongue
  • ***Tongue weight significantly decreased, somewhere in the neighborhood of 35# (don’t have actual weights yet, will update).***

nuCamp now has a proper scale, so apparently all products manufactured will now have the yellow ‘actual’ weight stickers applied.

Anyway, thrilled to become part of the nuCamp family, and can’t wait to start the next leg of our journey!

-Jeff

----------------------

UPDATE: Just talked to nuCamp, and received the following info for confirmation:

1. A/C unit is now an 'Elwell Air-8'  mounted beneath center-bed (no CoolCat). No heat pump, but has de-humidifier setting.
  2. Inverter moved to new WFCO location, under passenger-side dinette seat
  3. Countertop and table are no longer particle board, but the new foamcore material developed for the Cirrus
  4. Tire is returned to the mounting area behind tongue, underneath (was beneath bed for awhile)
  5. TONGUE WEIGHTS: 373 lbs dry, 386 lbs wet (for 400 BDL, 2-way fridge)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Number 5 is a great big "YAY!", having a 5000# tow vehicle, as I'll now not worry so much about looking for a W/D hitch solution...

Cheers!

2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
Jeff --Front Range of Colorado

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The Air 8 looks strangely like the climate right unit we used in our LG 5 Wide several years ago.  Wonder what the BTU's are.  Given the size listed on the site looks small.  Wonder how they duct the hot air?
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    I think I found the original manufacturer of the AIR8: A company called Truma Saphir out of Germany.  Apparently a big name in European caravan accessories.  It looks like we're getting their Compact model which is about 1800W = 6000BTU of cooling and doesn't offer heat.  But it is really efficient!  Only draws about 650W to cool your TAB - Makes solar-powered cooling seem just about possible. See: https://www.truma.com/int/en/products/truma-air-conditioning/truma-saphir-compact.html

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Congrats!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Impressive
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @rh5555 if that is the case,  the manual list 2.8 amps running which is about 30 amps into an inverter to run it......but the other thing to keep in mind is that the specs are listed at 220 volts ac.   so the reality might be between 5 and 6 amps at 120 volts...    which means a 2k generator will run it even in high altitude.    

Just need to see the real world numbers when an engineer type gets their hands on it.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • AlBAlB Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2019
    I've actually seen a 2020 T@B 400 in person - the improvements are very nice.

Here's pictures of two things many have asked about in the various threads - the air conditioner under the bed and the driver's side dinette storage compartment with the hydraulic strut.

• b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Nice, thanks for the pics!
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    Congratz!!  so very pretty!
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
    This Truma unit apparently weighs 20 kg (44 lb) while the Coolcat weighs 30.4 kg (67 lb). 
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
    Right! Probably a pretty significant part of the tongue weight decrease (guessing the foamcore table, as well).
  • PeteRisslerPeteRissler Member Posts: 5
    The power consumption is fairly low but I wonder how a generator or invertor will handle the startup 15A @230V (about 3450 watts) for 150ms.
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 151
    Very nice.  Understand they moved the inverter and a/c unit to the rear under the bed to shift the weight off the tongue. Gives you storage under the seats and that's nice, plus you can put the storage platform on the front.  My question; since tongue weight was a concern with the 2019 models (I have one and on every trip I'm careful how we pack), isn't nucamp concern that if a consumer uses the platform for a generator, fuel, luggage, camp stuff and packs the storage area under the seats, that there isn't a potential to repeat the 2019 tongue weight problem? 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited June 2019
    Blueespy said:
    Very nice.  Understand they moved the inverter and a/c unit to the rear under the bed to shift the weight off the tongue. Gives you storage under the seats and that's nice, plus you can put the storage platform on the front.  My question; since tongue weight was a concern with the 2019 models (I have one and on every trip I'm careful how we pack), isn't nucamp concern that if a consumer uses the platform for a generator, fuel, luggage, camp stuff and packs the storage area under the seats, that there isn't a potential to repeat the 2019 tongue weight problem? 
    You got it.  Plus, since the storage in the aft bay has been reduced significantly to accommodate the AC, most people will need to make full use of the storage under the driver’s side dinette seat.  Moving the AC to the rear lets NuCamp publish a lower dry tongue weight.  But as a practical matter, I doubt it will matter once the trailer is normally loaded.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    From some photos I’ve seen recently, it looks like the outside storage compartment is now sealed off from the interior, and appears to have more storage “potential” with the batteries being moved.  Is that correct?
    It is sealed off, and it seems like it's bigger than before. Which would make sense.
  • There are complaints about the new a/c being really loud and an Error 7 message if the temp gets over 90 degrees and the air going out. Update us if you have any a/c problems. 
    I'm always off grid, but it's worked fine every time I've used it on shore power at home, 90 outside in one case.