Smoke detector going off without smoke

ezusmanisezusmanis Member Posts: 20
Twice now, the smoke detector has gone off in my 2019 TAB 400 without smoke present - once when I was working in it with all of the windows closed and a second time with the windows cracked open while raining outside. Is this typical or a bad smoke detector?
2019 T@B 400 BD Lite / '95 4WD GMC Yukon

Comments

• davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Could be bad but smoke detectors have been known to activate with dust. This problem has been mostly solved in modern detectors, however.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Never had that happen with the one in the T@B. I have had it happen with the detectors in my house, however--typically in the middle of a hot, humid summer night.
    2015 T@B S
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We haven't had the smoke detector go off, but the propane detector (near the floor) goes off when our dog breathes too much near it!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2019
    Isn't the propane detector also a CO detector?  Maybe it can confuse CO2 with CO?
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Yes, ours is.

I think I heard that some weren't combined, but that's hearsay.

I think you're right about it being confused.
    BrianZ said:
    Isn't the propane detector also a CO detector?  Maybe it can confuse CO2 with CO?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Could be heat as well 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited June 2019
    In my ancient mobile home I lived in as a grad student, the smoke alarm would go off when I took a shower because of the steam. Of course, that was a LONG time ago. The smoke alarms in all my trailers seem sensitive, but then, it's a tiny area for what the alarms are really set up for (house rooms or hallways much bigger than the camper area). I confess I took the battery out of the smoke alarm when I couldn't crisp bacon in the morning!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited June 2019
    Our son took his battery out of the smoke detector in his dorm room so often, and was "written up" so many times, that he was finally restricted from graduating until he paid a $150 fine!

(I just can't imagine why he didn't like the smoke detector!  ;)=)

Being a hard (rhymes with 'sass') father, I wasn't gonna pay the fine for him! I figured it was education, just what he was in college for

I think he finally got his grandmother to pay it for him... So much for learning!
    Ratkity said:
    In my ancient mobile home I lived in as a grad student, the smoke alarm would go off when I took a shower because of the steam. Of course, that was a LONG time ago. The smoke alarms in all my trailers seem sensitive, but then, it's a tiny area for what the alarms are really set up for (house rooms or hallways much bigger than the camper area). I confess I took the battery out of the smoke alarm when I couldn't crisp bacon in the morning!

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Oh @ChanW, that’s too funny!  Nothing like a little tough love!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    In my 1993 motorhome the gas detector was right inside the door on the kitchen cabinet wall. The batteries were located under the bottom step of the entrance. Whenever the batteries were charging hard there was enough hydrogen generated to set off the detector.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Things that can cause the alarm, according to google: Dog farts, human farts, cat using the litter box, cleaning the litter box, spray air freshener...seems to be a theme. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • ezusmanisezusmanis Member Posts: 20
    Replaced it with a different brand - problem went away!
    2019 T@B 400 BD Lite / '95 4WD GMC Yukon
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Linda’s cooking out in the Arizona trailer sets it off.... Don’t tell her I just said that!   🤣😂🤣😱
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Linda’s cooking out in the Arizona trailer sets it off.... Don’t tell her I just said that!   🤣😂🤣😱
    You are in so much trouble!!!

@ChanW thanks for helping prepare your son for the workplace!!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    And then there are dog farts……...
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ecyfoto said:
    And then there are dog farts……...
    😱
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • MikeAMikeA Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    My T@B 400 2019 smoke detector went off  around midnight on a hot muggy night for a few beeps so I turned off the Air conditioner which is right under the detector. Did not smell smoke. When I returned home I opened the panel on the side of the air conditioner under the bench of the dinette and found the easy start motor wsx-7 starter module burnt. I am now in the process of installing the Micro Air easy start.