Outside door clip

My plastic pin on the door and outside clip connector has gotten worn and sloppy and the door won’t stay open.  How have others dealt with this?  Beef up the pin to make it stick in the clip better, or just replace the part?  If replace, original or satisfactory alternative?
Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
T@bbey  Road   
Appleton,  WI

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I am need of repairing mine. A wind gusts at üCamp pulled the catch right out of the wall. From what I u understand, some toothpicks, silicon, and larger screws will create a tighter fit.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    TerryV6 said:
    My plastic pin on the door and outside clip connector has gotten worn and sloppy and the door won’t stay open.  How have others dealt with this?  Beef up the pin to make it stick in the clip better, or just replace the part?  If replace, original or satisfactory alternative?
    I replaced with this and the screw holes lined up. 
    AP Products 1/2" 013-084W Plastic Door Holdback-3-1/2, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC1AUA
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    @Marceline, thanks for the link.  I’ll give that one a try for 6 bucks.  Thanks for the input Jenn.  I’ll tell you what I think...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2019
    We have been using Dale Helman's door strut idea..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6433/no-more-swinging-door
    It keeps the door propped open about 100°, so it fits under our visor, gives more space for the frig vents, can be reached easier from inside for closing and keeps our door-mounted trashcan more accessible when open.  Only thing I don't like is that it springs open a little too forcefully, as if caught by a strong wind (probably should have gone with the 15-lb strut instead of 20-lb), so need to hold onto it until it's fully open.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • LisaTucsonLisaTucson Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2019
    My 2016 320S only has 2 holes per piece. So, I googled AP Products (from the link provided above-Amazon) and found this one. 

https://approducts.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47_50_67&products_id=4043&zenid=6b338ce79a761d0a731f012db109bfd1

I emailed asking for the exact hole measurements.

Heard back from AP with measurements....they matched but they charge $25 to ship a $4 product...

Lisa
    Tucson, AZ
    2016 T@B 320 S Outback ("Scout")
    TV: 2013 Lexus 450h
    "You never know when you're having good luck." ~ Unknown
    I also use the strut idea.  But, When I don’t have the awning up and just want to swing the door open to load up, it would be nice to have it stay.  Looking at the female end of the new part, it appears there is room for a drilled hole for my wire.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    Thank you for the link @Marceline I'll take a look at one of those to see if it can be positioned to hold the door open with the visor fitted.
    We got ours today.  The holes don't line up and I don’t want to drill a new one.  So I am going to add a bit to the peg on the door to make it seat tighter.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Well, I tried to return the hardware and they said okay, here is your money back, keep the part...  
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Well, to finish this thread for me, I went through a dealer and got a new clip from NuCamp for about $9.  Picked it up today.  Spring is just over the hill.
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    TerryV6 said:
    I also use the strut idea.  But, When I don’t have the awning up and just want to swing the door open to load up, it would be nice to have it stay.  Looking at the female end of the new part, it appears there is room for a drilled hole for my wire.
    Question doesn’t the strut hold the door open?
    That should be it’s function. Why does the awning up or down make a difference. I must be missing something.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Yes, my homemade wire strut does work to hold the door in place, but sometimes we want to go in to get something and just swing the door wide so that it goes into the little clippy thing.  Very convenient.  My wire strut is not attached.  I suppose I could do that, but it didn't cost much to put in a new original white clip.  The wire strut I made because when you have the awning up, you can't swing the door all thee way.  We store it just inside on the left.  Should not be too complicated to understand.  I, on the other hand, can be... 
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI