Options

Shillowcase / memory foam upgrade ......What ????

OK, so the standard cushions on our 2019 320s were not cutting it for a good nights sleep for us when in "bed mode" . Hey , we like our sleep .....what can we say ! One of the reasons we fell in love with the 320S , was the almost king size bed ! So .....we decided to make it better ! 

We took a 2" memory foam mattress topper, and cut it to fit.  Brand name eludes me at the moment, but its a good memory foam type and "squishy" , not just regular foam ! 
We cut it down with an electric kitchen knife to EXACTLY 70" wide x 72" long. Perfect fit for a 320S. 

Then , instead of fitting a sheet on it every time we made the bed . We made a "Shillowcase"  for it .........What ?????
We picked out 2 full size flat sheets (yes they are big enough as they are meant to wrap around a regular full mattress) , and sewed them together to make a giant "pillowcase" for the memory foam mattress topper . Hence ........Shillowcase (sheet sized pillow case), get it , lol. 

Now we can roll-it up easily , and throw it behind the couch back rest . We had some Ikea mattress velcro straps leftover that we use to hold it together when rolled up . When we are ready for bed , all we have to do is grab it out from behind the back rest , and roll it out .........the sheet is already in place ! 
We do have to figure something to hold the "open" end together , possibly some velcro , or buttons ? 
Totally removable for machine washing . Works like a charm, and its SO EASY ! 

Its SO comfy now ! 

Here are some pictures ........... What do you all think ? 

2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Good idea.  We did the same thing with a heavy mattress pad - basically made a duvet cover.  Now, when summer camping, we just always leave the bed made up and hang out in the tent.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I did the same thing on my twin bed mod.  Nice sleeping on top of smooth comfy sheets & so easy to take off for washing.  I use IRON-ON velcro to close up the open end.  It works really well as long as you follow the directions and make sure to leave the iron on the material long enough to completely liquify the glue.  Make sure you use a cloth between the piece you are ironing & the ironing board & also between the iron & the piece you are ironing or you will have glue oozing out. 
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MaryJoMaryJo Member Posts: 4
     Great idea thank for sharing!
  • Options
    PhookPhook Member Posts: 3
    I think this has the best idea I've seen on this post. I am a small senior  lady and travel alone  most of time. So I just lay down the back seat and roll out my twin size shillocase. So fast and easy to do.i have made 3 sheets for it. What I did for the end is make it kinda like a  envelope  pillowcase but have the opening  at the end. No need for any kind of extra velcro or snaps. Again  thanks for the excellent ideas. 👍

• Options
    PhookPhook Member Posts: 3
    Of all the ideas for us TAB owners, this is my favorite. Since it's only me,  I made one to fit when I lay just the back down and I am short so I fit crossway comfortably.   I did the sheet envelope  style. Thanks so much  for the great idea!
  • Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    We don't use a topper BUT we learned that a cot size fitted sheet can be used across the back bench and the dinette conversion bench. The two are different widths so we ultimately used different width cot sheets for the benches. We now have nice fitted sheets on our full bed.
    Anyone looking to  add a topper might be able to do the same, if they aren't feeling creative enough to make a shillowcase...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    DenverJaguarDenverJaguar Member Posts: 57
    This is EXACTLY what I want to do, but I am stuck on something...how do you get that roll out from behind the upper cushions? On my 2022, the top cushions are split, and I think the cabinets stick out further, leaving only a very narrow gap to pull the bed roll through. I'd have to tug both backs into the forward position at the same time and then somehow pull the roll through. 
  • Options
    scott14scott14 Member Posts: 132
    @DenverJaguar - Have you had any ideas on this?  The best we have found is to roll the 2" foam really tight, making it as small as possible, and then "stuff" it behind the seat.  Seems like it is a very tight fit though.
    Scott / 2022 T@B 320S / 2019 T@B 400 / 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ / Northern Illinois
  • Options
    ZidajmbZidajmb Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2022
    I made a "shillowcase" years ago for the memory foam mattress topper. (Ours came with a quilted mattress cover which of course I left on for extra comfort.) I don't worry about hiding the bed roll; besides it's way to bulky to do that.  I leave the couch back down. Just make the case with sheet fabric that coordinates with your upholstery (if that's your jam).  Roll it up, secure with a couple of good-sized bungy cords, shove it to the rear, add a couple of decorative pillows, and voila...you have a comfy lounging couch. Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    KismetKrushKismetKrush Member Posts: 29
    Hi Phook, I want to do exactly what you did. What is that mattress type and where can I get it? Then you say you just sewed a sheet together and inserted the mattress inside? Thanks!
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @KismetKrush @Phook hasn't been active on the forum since November, 2021. Try a PM to make contact and you just may get an answer.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ParlandoParlando Member Posts: 123
    DenverJaguar   We just roll our pad up and use it as a back rest instead of stuffing it under the backseat. It works great and is very comfortable.

• Options
    WeetravelsWeetravels Member Posts: 1
    We have cut our topper into 3 pieces: 2 are cut to use for “twin” bed sleeping, and then a filler piece for in between in case we want to have the larger bed. If I get ambitious, I might get around to making a shallow case for each, but in the meantime, we each have a quilt that we can either lay out flat for the larger bed, or fold over and use for the twin configuration. Each of the smaller sized pads then then be individually rolled up, and they are MUCH easier to put away behind the fold up seat backs.