Outback Tub Bolts Loose

BertBert Member Posts: 87
Two of the four bolts holding my the tub on one side of the frame of my 2016 Tab Outback Max S came loose or were never installed. The other two bolts were fine and appear to have lock nuts. We haven't taken the trailer more than a few thousand miles on fewer than half-a-dozen trips, so I'm wondering whether the nuts were ever installed on those two bolts. I wouldn't have known that I had a problem, but vacuumed up the bolts and washers when cleaning up after installing expanded aluminum to close the opening behind the tub.

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you are able to install the bolts, and if it were me, I would take care of it myself. The tub is attached by the dealer, so you could make an appointment with them to fix it if you would prefer. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    @Bert. I had similar issues when I removed the tub to install the sewer hose holder. Mismatched and poorly secured bolts installed by the dealer. Replaced all with stainless steel bolts with nylock nuts to avoid galvanic corrosion. Congrats on getting your tub closed in! Pics please :)
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Stainless steel is the way to go. I think washers should be added too. If I recall, one side is difficult to reach underneath on the 2015 T@B. 

Did you have to go "Vacuum Bag Fishing" for the bolts and washers?? hehe.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Bert said:
    Two of the four bolts holding my the tub on one side of the frame of my 2016 Tab Outback Max S came loose or were never installed. The other two bolts were fine and appear to have lock nuts. We haven't taken the trailer more than a few thousand miles on fewer than half-a-dozen trips, so I'm wondering whether the nuts were ever installed on those two bolts. I wouldn't have known that I had a problem, but vacuumed up the bolts and washers when cleaning up after installing expanded aluminum to close the opening behind the tub.

Thanks Bert.  Yep, mine same.  Two bolts, nuts missing, the remaining two loose.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It is the dealer’s responsibility to install the front tub on the 320’s, along with the battery/batteries and the propane tank. The tubs are shipped inside the T@B 320’s to save room and prevent damage. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    My dealer left bolts loose and lock washers were missing.
    When the Boondock tub was off I upgraded to longer 5/16" SS bolts with lock washers and nuts on bottom of tub before mounting to frame. Then adding washers and self-locking nuts on bottom of frame flange. Now removing the tub is a one man job. The bolt upgrade was due to installing 2 AGM Group 31 batteries in Tub. The propane bracket was removed adjusted and rewelded to make room for the batteries.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    My dealer didn't even attach the tub when I did my pickup inspection.  Luckily we inadvertently pushed on the tub during tow vehicle hookup and found it was just sitting on the frame.  That would have been an ugly first tow...  My dealer used self-tapping stainless screws.  I may switch to bolts given this discussion.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Horigan said:
    My dealer didn't even attach the tub when I did my pickup inspection.  Luckily we inadvertently pushed on the tub during tow vehicle hookup and found it was just sitting on the frame.  That would have been an ugly first tow...  My dealer used self-tapping stainless screws.  I may switch to bolts given this discussion.

😳 
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Mine had one bolt snugged finger-tight to the washer, the other three were merely spun on by hand, never tightened (I didn't discover until after the first trip). Ridiculous that this is so common amongst a plethora of dealers. 
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado