More Twin Bed & Seating Convenience

Following my twin bed mod I posted last year, I decided to undertake another mod that makes a 320 twin bed configuration even more convenient and spacious.  
By replacing the bulky back cushions, that are really only necessary for sleeping in the queen bed configuration,  with slimmer back cushions, seating becomes much roomier and, more significantly, the back cushions no longer need to be removed and stored somewhere, at night.  Furthermore, we can also access storage under the side seats without removing the back cushions (the compartment lids are adapted with piano hinges, etc.).
To make the new back cushions I purchased OEM fabric from NuCamp (when you could still order directly from Elsie 😀).  At the same time I also ordered a split seat back, which I installed as part of this overall convenience mod.  The new back cushions are made from 2” thick high density foam and upholstery batting mounted on ¼” birch plywood.  The fabric is secured with staples.  Like the original cushions, velco strips hold the new cushioning in place.
As can be seen in the attached pics, I chose to make accessing raising/lowering the seat back(s) even more simple by creating small triangular corner cushions that are simple to remove.
This mod has worked out very well and fulfilled all my objectives.  Seating is  more spacious, yet there is adequate back cushioning.  Cushions conveniently stay in place at bedtime and we find lowering/raising the seat back(s) much simpler, as is general access to storage behind the rear seat.  Plus, everything looks as if it came from the factory this way.  Obviously, the large cushions and large seat back have been stored away for easy conversion back to standard configuration, so a future owner may have the choice.  
I will be happy to provide a few more details if other 320 owners are interested.

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Whoa - VERY nice job!  Love the corner wedge idea for easier access to the rear storage area.  Well thought out and beautifully executed.  The two piece wedge cushions may be easier to stow in the cabin than the one piece (I have to put mine in the tow vehicle each night). May steal the wedge idea to make rounded side cushions to provide support while watching TV or reading.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    In our eternal struggle to keep things off of the floor at night, we left the wedge cushions at home and didn’t miss them. But, those smaller triangles could conceivably be Velcro-ed to the ceiling at night. This looks great!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    This looks fabulous! Excellent idea.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    @Tabaz and @jgram2, the thinner back cushions mean you've no need to bother with storing them at night.  They are far less intrusive and can just stay in place! 😃
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    For anyone that routinely sleeps with the single bed configuration, this is a no brainer!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @teztab That’s a huge plus! What do you do with your twin bed extensions during the day? Are you tall enough to keep them in place and still put your feet on the floor? ( I look like Lilly Tomlin’s character Edith Ann on most couches)

jgram2 said:
    @teztab That’s a huge plus! What do you do with your twin bed extensions during the day? Are you tall enough to keep them in place and still put your feet on the floor? ( I look like Lilly Tomlin’s character Edith Ann on most couches)
    The twin extensions detach and fold in seconds and store easily behind the rear seat.
    Very nice design. You’ve got it dialed in!

jgram2 said:
    Very nice design. You’ve got it dialed in!
    Thank you!
  • MKaloustianMKaloustian Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2019
    teztab,

Very nice work in all!

I have purchased the split seat backs and extra brackets while at NüCamp this year. I'm really curious how you handled your bottom cushions to accommodate the hinges ... I'm guessing you needed to notch the bottom cushions also in some way in order to clear the hinges on either side.  Any details of what you did would really be appreciated ... Do you have a picture of how you notched?

Mark
    2019 T@B 320S BDE
    '18 GMC Sierra 6.2l V8
    '18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l V6
    teztab,

Very nice work in all!

I have purchased the split seat backs and extra brackets while at NüCamp this year. I'm really curious how you handled your bottom cushions to accommodate the hinges ... I'm guessing you needed to notch the bottom cushions also in some way in order to clear the hinges on either side.  Any details of what you did would really be appreciated ... Do you have a picture of how you notched?

Mark
    2019 T@B 320S BDE
    '18 GMC Sierra 6.2l V8
    '18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l V6
    Yes, @MKaloustian , I had to remove some staples and peel back the upholstery, so as to expose enough of the wood frame to be able to notch out an area sufficient to accomodate the hinge(s).  Then, of course, I re-stapled the upholstery around the area of the notch.  It was not difficult and did not take too long.  Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the procedure, but I will take some pictures of the notched seat cushions and provide you with the measurements.  I should be able to post them over the weekend for you.  Hope this helpful.

So, @MKaloustian , here are some pics of a seat cushion notch,  as I found necessary to accomodate the split seat back hinges.  For my installation I notched both rear corners of each seat cushion.  Each notch is 3/4" wide and 3 1/2" long and tapers at a diagonal from the 3" point.  The cushions fit nicely and I've had no problems with hinge mechanisms.  Good luck with your mod.

• MKaloustianMKaloustian Member Posts: 2
    teztab said:
    So, @MKaloustian , here are some pics of a seat cushion notch,  as I found necessary to accomodate the split seat back hinges.  For my installation I notched both rear corners of each seat cushion.  Each notch is 3/4" wide and 3 1/2" long and tapers at a diagonal from the 3" point.  The cushions fit nicely and I've had no problems with hinge mechanisms.  Good luck with your mod.

teztab said:
    teztab,

Very nice work in all!

Mark
    2019 T@B 320S BDE
    '18 GMC Sierra 6.2l V8
    '18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l V6
    Yes, @MKaloustian , I had to remove some staples and peel back the upholstery, so as to expose enough of the wood frame to be able to notch out an area sufficient to accomodate the hinge(s).  Then, of course, I re-stapled the upholstery around the area of the notch.  It was not difficult and did not take too long.  Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the procedure, but I will take some pictures of the notched seat cushions and provide you with the measurements.  I should be able to post them over the weekend for you.  Hope this helpful.

@teztab ... Perfect!!! Thank you so much for the added details and the pictures.  This helps a great deal.  I'll work on this mod over this coming weekend.
    I hope your split seatback installation goes smoothly, @MKaloustian !  I would recommend,  since there is some flexibility in where they can be located,  you allow the final placement of the four hinges to determine the exact size of the notches.  That is to say, fit the seat backs first and make sure they are suitably positioned and working smoothly, before notching the bottom cushions.
  • Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    I'm interested in doing a DIY mod split seat backs.  Does anyone have a step by step instruction on how to do this?  Where do I get the hardware?  What has anyone done with the fabric?  Does it all just get taken off and moved to cover the inside edges and then patch the outside edges that don't show next to the walls?  Where do you attach the hardware in the center?  Thanks
    @Bonalexander - This is my original posting and thread to which I was referring...
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    On our 2016 320 the benches bottom cushions are attached to the backs by 2 straps. Do you cut those straps so you can move them out of the way when you sleep? And where do you store them?
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • MikeDawn265MikeDawn265 Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2021
    I am interested in the extension legs.  Can you tell me where you got them from and the size? They appear to be aluminum, are they?
    Wisconsinites 2020 T@B 320 S - 2021 Dodge Durango GT Plus TV
  • BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2021