Options

AAAARRRGHHHH WHAT HAVE I DONE!! Don’t be me!

HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
edited November 2021 in Trailer & Towing
Good evening from Nowhere, NM! I am stranded and awaiting a flatbed in the morning. I am heading home to Asheville, NC after an amazing four week cross country adventure. I have travelled 4700 miles thus far.....until today. Something locked up the brakes. All seemed okay until I heard a grinding and shredding. I have limped to an exit and unfortunately being 100 miles from Albuquerque must get towed there. I called Santa Fe RV, a nucamp dealer, advising I wished to use their services and they turned me down advising ‘we are too busy to do emergent repairs’. So, I will be going to an auto repair/tire shop on AAA RV Plus list of shops in ABQ. Wish me luck. I see new axles, bearing, pads.....what else can I expect?
HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Ouch! No, but you’ve got a place to sleep with your Tab. Sorry, that’s all I’ve got. Maybe there’s some Tabbers in the area who can brighten tomorrow for you? Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Handbrake on you TV? Should hopefully only be pads & rotor/drums for the rear brakes only. We’re you dragging trailer brakes too? Even if, no axel replacement...pads & drums, might as well get bearings too if you haven’t had them done.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We talking tow vehicle or trailer. If it’s the trailer it must be a Dutchman. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Remember that the trailer system (axle, brakes, etc)  can probably be dealt with by a company that repairs utility trailers.  You don't have to only deal with RV shops.

The good news is the balloon fiesta is on this week in ABQ,  so try to find a spot to watch and contemplate balloons as they drift by.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    how is the hand brake on the TV  connected to the T@b?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2019
    As @Dalehelman said, must be a Dutchman.
    Any good mechanic can replace brakes drums and bearings.
    The complication might be that they're European in the Dutchman. Not sure, but Elsie might be able to advise you on replacement parts.
    Also, the Yahoo group has many more Dutchman folks that might be able to advise... I'm pretty sure I read of a common US-available bearing replacement on that group's forum.
    Sounds like a great trip! Of course you'll have a hiccup or two. It's part of the story you'll be telling your grandkids.
    Enjoy the balloons!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I would have the service place you go to contact Elsie at nuCamp, she can hook you up with all the parts. Unfortunately, won't be cheap. You are looking at an axle, brakes, and bearings. and no you are not the first one to kill an axle on a Dutchmen. I fortunately, have avoided that.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    For those that can't see it on your device, the OP's signature line indicates a 2005 T@B--indeed a Dutchman with a lever-operated hand brake.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited October 2019
    Been there, done that..........  I had to do a repair in a campground a few years back.
    The sealed bearing assemblies and brake parts kits were available from NuCamp in the past.
    If not, the bearing and brake parts are for an ALKO 1637 axle.
    Gennerally, one side will be much worse than the other.  I was able to replace one bearing, remove internal brake parts and disconnect the brake cable (no trailer brakes) as a quick field repair.  When home, I replaced the other bearing and shoes, springs, adjusters, etc. on both sides.
    Drums and axle are probably OK
    Repair, maintenance and adjustment PDFs are in the Manuals category.
    Good luck!

• Options
    Thank you everyone! AAA RV Plus failed me miserably. Twenty hours later I’m finally at the repair shop in Albuquerque.  Next stop a brewery and researching the Balloonfest! 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @HoBo please fill us in regarding your AAA issues.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Ref AAA...My initial call was around 4pm Tuesday. 4:23 I received text that a tech being dispatched to assist. Ten phone calls and twenty hours later the tow truck arrived (today, Wednesday around noon) So frustrating.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @HoBo that is bad! I have heard more than one horror story about roadside services, honestly I think a person is better off in just calling a local tow company and paying the bill, I think the reimbursement to the tow company must be small compared to market value?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I think response time varies a lot on your location. Having said that, USAA has us pay and submit the bill. They reimburse quickly.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So after assessing all the damage everything between the rims is shot. :( They actually said I was lucky it didn’t catch on fire it got so hot 😳 They have to order all the parts. I’m actually going to fly home, deal with medical issue then fly back when repairs completed. The repair shop has been amazing but my bank account is crying. $1200 total parts, shipping and labor. Thanks for all your input. It was helpful to them. I love this forum! ❤️
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    So sorry to hear it's a total failure, but actually that is less than I thought it might be. I had heard $2K in the past for an axle replace.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL