Single Woman and the Tab

Hello.  New to the forum.  I actually thought I posted this already but do not see it so I will try again.

I currently have a Sylva Go and love it.  I am a widow and with my daughters off to college, I am camping alone with my dog.  I usually camp in the North Carolina mountains and do not normally use campgrounds (60%).  I am probably silly but I am just not feeling safe on my own.  I have been looking at a Tab Sofitel S.  Quite the departure from the "roughing it" Sylvan Go.  

My biggest concern is whether or not I can handle it on my own.  With the Sylvan Go, I can push it around into the garage and even in a campsite.

Can a woman nearing her 60's handle the Tab?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Welcome HaiBike - There's quite a few single gals - both older and younger than you - doing just fine on their own with their T@Bs. Hopefully they'll see this post and chime in with specific experiences.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Haibike said:
    Hello.  New to the forum.  I actually thought I posted this already but do not see it so I will try again.

I currently have a Sylva Go and love it.  I am a widow and with my daughters off to college, I am camping alone with my dog.  I usually camp in the North Carolina mountains and do not normally use campgrounds (60%).  I am probably silly but I am just not feeling safe on my own.  I have been looking at a Tab Sofitel S.  Quite the departure from the "roughing it" Sylvan Go.  

My biggest concern is whether or not I can handle it on my own.  With the Sylvan Go, I can push it around into the garage and even in a campsite.

Can a woman nearing her 60's handle the Tab?
    You could always go to a dealer and try it out! Most are on concrete or hard gravel.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Haibike said:

It seems the original post was living in moderation limbo for some reason.  I have deleted it as this one is the one that is being responded to.

As for a response, the many fine ladies on the forum already seem to be doing a great job of that.  My wife can handle the T@Bpole on her own, but, as she would tell you, that is really what she has me for :tongue: 

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
    It should be noted that you can completely use the T@b without having to move it by hand. There are very few times that I have wheeled it around at, all, but hand and it was mostly to check out different angles to position the trailer. My T@b sits on a little stone patio, at home, so there are times I will scooch it one way or another or I will pull it one way or another a few inches to hook it up to the TV, but overall, most movement is done connected to the TV.

That being said, the last campsite I was at had a concrete pad and I wheeled it around for the best view. I tried it several different ways until I was happy.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    And, I was able to move my T@B very easily on concrete this afternoon. I couldn't believe how easy it was to move. I look forward to having a solid surface campsite so I can move the T@B for the best view as Jenn and others had been able to do. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    ChanW said:
    I stayed at a "campground", with a nearly paved site, where I turned the Tab around, oh it must have been 390 degrees, before I realized that the best view was really pretty much the first position.

I kept telling myself that the other people at the sites around me weren't laughing at me, they were jealous at how easily I could turn my camper... B-/

jkjenn said:
    It should be noted that you can completely use the T@b without having to move it by hand. There are very few times that I have wheeled it around at, all, but hand and it was mostly to check out different angles to position the trailer. My T@b sits on a little stone patio, at home, so there are times I will scooch it one way or another or I will pull it one way or another a few inches to hook it up to the TV, but overall, most movement is done connected to the TV.

That being said, the last campsite I was at had a concrete pad and I wheeled it around for the best view. I tried it several different ways until I was happy.

I had to keep trying different positions to get a giant bush out of the view. I probably spent 15 minutes moving it around, lol. At least I was there for about a week to enjoy the view.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I was trying to get the other "campers" out of my view. It was one of those campgrounds (the kind with 10 feet between each site)...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Since I'm rarely on concrete/asphalt - I find it amazing at how easy it is to get the T@B into a scenic view position with the TV. Might take a near jacknife but it can be done. The harder part is getting the TV back into that weird position for the hookup.
  • HaibikeHaibike Member Posts: 7
    One more question.  With an S, assuming I have a small table connected to a Lagun pedestal, can a mountain bike be put in the T@B while traveling?
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I don't think a mt bike would fit or stay secured as the trailer bounces around unless you took the front tire off and mounted the bike on a fork bracket attached to a stationary (mounted) 2x4 so the bike faces rearward (approx where the Lagun table is being attached by MikeM). Even then, the rear wheel could bounce a bit with the trailer and you could end up damaging your front forks. With all trailers, imagine how an earthquake feels. That's how much shaking your camper is doing as it goes down the highway for 6-8 hrs at a time (less if I'm driving ;) ). With all the bicycle transporting I've done, I still don't really trust bike racks, but many of the new ones from Thule or Yakima seem pretty sturdy. YMMV
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited December 2015

I've hauled them coast to coast on the rear of a Little Guy without major incident until my last trip out to Idaho from Michigan where the woman's support bar failed, but without losing any bikes.  I just picked up an Arvika bike rack and believe that is the safest means (between car & trailer) of safely transporting bikes, as opposed to the back of any RV or trailer.  

F1.jpg 99.7K
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I camp solo most of the time.  I am able to move my T@B by hand when on concrete or asphalt.  I do have a pneumatic jockey wheel, though.  The only time I move it is to take advantage of a view.  I park on a concrete slab at home, and can completely turn it to face the other direction.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

Mike - Have you traveled with that rack yet?
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    PXLated said:
    Mike - Have you traveled with that rack yet?
    I haven't, but it's as solid as a rock.  They make a telescoping arm that attaches to the trailer jack tube and then up to the top bar on the rack that runs around $50 and stabilizes the rack.  I use a small ratchet strap and installed an eye on the frame that accomplishes the same thing.  I like the rack and know it's safer than hanging something off the rear as I did with my LG units.This is going to make life better and a lot less stressful traveling long distances.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Bike Rack - I too have struggled with finding a location to put my mountain bike. I found the best location is in the tow vehicle (Ford Expedition). Fold the second row passenger seat down, take the front wheel off, turn the fork so the handlebars are aligned with the frame, secure the handlebars with a small lashing strap, roll the bike into the vehicle on the rear tire, secure the bike (and front tire) to the 2nd row seat belt brackets (at the top and bottom) with another lashing strap, and finally, put a small piece of foam under the front fork to protect the vehicle carpet.  Works great and keeps the bike upright and next to the passenger side windows - using a minimum amount of cargo area.  I realize this solution only works with sufficient ceiling height in the tow vehicle.  I'll post some pictures if anyone is interested. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Nice looking bike rack, Mike! Haven't seen that one yet.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Mike -- Did you get the extra long travel trailer bracket (that clamps onto the frame of the T@B) for the bike rack or just the regular one?  I like the bike rack a lot.  Too bad there are no dealers in Colorado or Arizona.  I might have to order from the Utah dealer.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
    Beth - Think the Teardrop Shop (LG) carries those bike racks - Think that's where I first saw them.
  • pcaddypcaddy Member Posts: 36
    cbarnhill -- LOVE your picture!  I think that is how we all felt after pulling it home the first time and unhooking on our own!!  
    @cbarnhillthat's an awesome picture!