Options

No Electric Heat (solved) No Fridge Cooling (updated)

rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated, as my electrical skills are weak.

2016 320 CS-S

AC power connected.  Outlets work.  Battery charged.  All breakers on converter in on position.

Alde works fine on propane, but putting the slide switches (old style control panel) on electric heat does not generate cabin heat.  Circulation pump runs though.  Heating on propane works fine.  AC aux fan works.

Fridge inside light turns on.  No cooling at all though.  No noise.

Thanks for any feedback.
2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Have you confirmed the Alde 120VAC plug is plugged in?  They can come loose.
    How long have you waited to say Fridge is not working on 120VAC?
    Very unlikely two different items would fail at same time . . . so issue has to be with Power Source or your observation of what is actually happening or not happening.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Have you confirmed the Alde 120VAC plug is plugged in?  They can come loose.
    How long have you waited to say Fridge is not working on 120VAC?
    Very unlikely two different items would fail at same time . . . so issue has to be with Power Source or your observation of what is actually happening or not happening.
    Bingo!

AC plug for Alde had wiggled loose.  I’ll fire it up for a test, but 99% sure plugging it in will help. Haha. I do now recall reading that advice a while back, but I had forgotten. 

Fridge worked fine last trip, but so far it is clear the two issues are likely not related. 

Thanks 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I assume you have the 2-way fridge common to the CS models. Does it work on 12VDC?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I assume you have the 2-way fridge common to the CS models. Does it work on 12VDC?
    Yes, I have the 2-way fridge.  From my understanding, it is wired from the factory to only run on DC.  Even when the trailer is plugged into AC power, the converter converts to DC to run the fridge, despite it being a 2-way fridge.  Right?
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @rkj__, I solved the loose AC plug with a couple zip ties to hold it in place.  The zip-tie on the right side of the plug in the photo below is routed through a hole on the outlet junction box:

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    rkj__ said:
    ScottG said:
    Yes, I have the 2-way fridge.  From my understanding, it is wired from the factory to only run on DC.  Even when the trailer is plugged into AC power, the converter converts to DC to run the fridge, despite it being a 2-way fridge.  Right?
    Hmmm, I don't know, but if that is the case the fridge wouldn't really be 2-way so I suspect there may be more to it.
    Some things can run on both types of supply. IIRC the Alde circulator pump is a good example--it actually switches over to 120VAC operation when shore power is available.
    Further complicating things is that sometimes 12VDC is still required to run something even if 120VAC or propane are the primary energy source. The Alde and the Norcold 3-way fridges are examples.
    So, to revise my question...  Can you manually switch the fridge over to DC, and if you do, does it work then?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    rkj__ said:
    ScottG said:
    Hmmm, I don't know, but if that is the case the fridge wouldn't really be 2-way so I suspect there may be more to it.
    Some things can run on both types of supply. IIRC the Alde circulator pump is a good example--it actually switches over to 120VAC operation when shore power is available.
    Further complicating things is that sometimes 12VDC is still required to run something even if 120VAC or propane are the primary energy source. The Alde and the Norcold 3-way fridges are examples.
    So, to revise my question...  Can you manually switch the fridge over to DC, and if you do, does it work then?
    My understanding is that the fridge is really two way capable, but the AC input is not connected. 

The only readily accessible control on the fridge is the temperature dial. 
  • Options
    rkj__ said:
    My understanding is that the fridge is really two way capable, but the AC input is not connected. 
    Got it. I guess I misinterpreted the OP as saying the fridge did not work on AC.
    Might there be additional fuses in or on the fridge itself?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503

If the light comes on there must be power to the fridge. Do you have the temperature dial turned to 4 or 5? It takes a while to cool down, but you should hear the compressor. If the compressor isn’t kicking on I suppose you could try pulling the fridge out and plugging it in to house AC (you would have to buy the cord that Norcold offers) to see if the compressor has really gone bad.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Marceline said:

If the light comes on there must be power to the fridge. Do you have the temperature dial turned to 4 or 5? It takes a while to cool down, but you should hear the compressor. If the compressor isn’t kicking on I suppose you could try pulling the fridge out and plugging it in to house AC (you would have to buy the cord that Norcold offers) to see if the compressor has really gone bad.  

Turned it to 4 or 5 for a few hours.  Nothing.  Turned off and on again, nothing.  Left at 4 or 5 for another few hours.  Nothing. 

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    @rkj__ ;  If your Fridge is the Norcold NR740 series or NR751 series.
                   The attached PDF file might be helpful - - - NR740 Service Manual

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I took the trailer into my nearest T@b dealer for them to look at the fridge, among a few other issues.  They found the fridge to be leaking refrigerant.  They only offered a full replacement, at about $1,600 CAD.  We will not be replacing the fridge at this time.  They sent a picture (below), and stated "As you can see out the back the coolant is building up on the line and leaking out."

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2020
    Looks like a slow leak originating from the copper line above the insulated area (the same line) below where it’s dripping onto power cord and the insulation below.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    It seems that the Alde A/C connector loosening is a common enough problem to warrant some sort of restraining device or my choice would be a twist lock connector.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    edited March 2020
    @rkj__
    If the refrigerator is still out of the trailer you could take it to an HVAC shop in town.  I bet they could fix it and not have to replace the whole thing.  Line leaks can often (but not always) be resoldered.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited March 2020
    Easy enough to replace the push in household AC connector for a three ping locking type(grand idea), you can find several, but look for a 120VAC 20-amp connector, a cord male and wall box female.  
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.