Options

Urgent Safety Issue T@B 400 Plastic Storage Tub Screws Sheared Off! (2019 T@B 400)

I just accidentally bumped the plastic storage bin on the front today and it moved several inches. Upon closer look, I found that two of the three screws that attach the plastic tub to the frame were totally sheared off!  The entire tub and propane tank were literally only hanging on by one screw!!!  First, I can't believe only three not very big screws are all that attaches the tub (80+ pounds counting the tub, tank, and mounting frame) to the frame in the first place!  Of course part of the screw is still screwed into the hole, so that has to get drilled out to repair.  My concern at this point is I don't want to simply replace the screws.  I think I need bigger and more screws!  Please go out and check your screws!! If this thing comes off the frame, I hate to think what could happen.   I emailed NuCamp about this serious matter.  I will repost when I hear back from them. I tried to attach photos but I can't get them sized properly and I finally gave up. 

Comments

• Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    Doesn't the tub get mounted by the dealer?
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    When I was doing some "improvements" on my storage tub (the boondock metal tub rather than the plastic tub) I also noticed that it was attached to the frame with four rather small self-tapping sheet metal screws.  I replaced them with 1/4" hex-head bolts and nylon lock nuts.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2020
    In our "320", the tub was screwed to the frame, and the propane cylinder 'rack' was bolted to the frame separately.

Is the 400 different?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @ChanW
    In my 400 the propane bracket is welded to the tub.  With a plastic tub it probably is screwed into the frame.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    As @rh5555 notes, the tubs are installed by the dealer. Local dealer actually did not secure one before towing to a local RV show here a year ago or so, bad things happened when it fell off.

I too have noticed pretty small self tapping screws, why they don't bolt though is probably it takes longer.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Yes, I just heard from NuCamp and the tubs are installed by the dealer.  The steel propane support bracket is attached only to the plastic tub and only the tub is screwed into the frame.  I think they were supposed to drill through the metal support frame into the trailer frame.  I will call my dealer now.  They are 3 hours away from me though, so this will be a self-fix.  Just trying to figure out the best size screw since I can't get my hand inside the frame to secure a nut.  
  • Options
    One thing I'm wondering that someone might know....are the screws supposed to first go through the metal propane tank support bracket, then through the plastic bin, and then into the trailer frame?  Mine has the metal propane support bracket attached only to the sides of the plastic bin, and then the plastic bin is attached to the trailer frame.  The metal support frame itself it not attached to the trailer frame at any point. It seems to me the screws should also go through the metal support bracket first, and then through the plastic bin, and then into the trailer frame.  
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited February 2020
    One thing I'm wondering that someone might know....are the screws supposed to first go through the metal propane tank support bracket, then through the plastic bin, and then into the trailer frame? 
    That's how it is on my 2015--you can see the arrangement in this photo. The tub wraps under the bracket and the bracket is bolted to the trailer frame in four places. IIRC the tub is also riveted to the bracket in a few additional spots.
    However, I don't know to what extent this applies to your 400.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    I just went back out for another look (and better lighting) and I do see now that the screws did go through the metal mounting frame first and then the plastic. I missed it at first because the screws are gone! I wonder what caused them to sheer off in the first place!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    I have a 2013 Clamshell. By the time the trailer came into my possession a few years ago the tub was self-destructing and unsalvageable. I was lucky and got my hands on a boondock tub to replace it. If I had a trailer with a plastic tub that’s still in one piece I would reinforce the heck out of it and through-bolt it onto the frame with giant fender washers. Maybe even fabricate some kind of HPDE reinforcement at the bottom to spread out the stress. Be sure to round off any corners so there aren’t stress risers to invite cracking. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Thanks Marceline. I'm going to see if there is any way to get my hand underneath to start a nut on the underside. I think I dont have access to the underside of the trailer in that location but I like the idea of reinforcing it.  What is HPDE?
  • Options
    High density polyethylene. Like cutting boards. It’s available in different thicknesses and it’s easy to fabricate. It doesn’t rot and it doesn’t splinter. You could also use wood. Someone tried to reinforce my old tub at the bottom with a thick piece of aluminum but they didn’t round off the corners and just made matters worse. My intuition is that it might be better to make the backing out of something with a little bit of give so it’s not stressing the plastic of the tub. But I there are people around here who are better engineers. @Dalehelman
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    I love the HPDE idea. I will definitely look into that. 
  • Options
    I love the HPDE idea. I will definitely look into that. 
    I buy from TAP Plastics but I don't know how much they want for shipping if you're out of their service area.
    https://www.tapplastics.com/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi