Options

New to towing - Towing Paranoia

JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
edited July 2020 in Camping & Travel
Since owning my 2019 Tab 320, I've pretty much just towed locally.  From the dealership to home and local campgrounds all of which less than 30 minutes away.  Occasionally around my neighborhoods to "practice" and towing and backing up.  Towing, which was/is new to me, and generally OK though nervous and paranoid the entire time.  Every bump, rattle, etc. makes my heart jump.  I did get a hitch tightener which helped and seems better when packed up some rather than empty.  Fyi...my TV is a Kia Sedona (3500 tow capacity); towing hitch, brake controller, etc. all installed by our dealer whom is great and I trust guided and outfitted us appropriately.

But soon I'll be taking a much bigger trip about 3-4 hours away and am getting more nervous as I get closer.  When you were a "newbie" did you have the same nervousness?  If so, what things did you do to alleviate you?  

Any advice, reassurances, warnings, etc. are welcome.  

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    It is good to be careful.  Trust your departure checklist.  (You do have a checklist?) Just think of your 3 hour trip as 6 half hour trips.  Stop and walk around the trailer as many times as you need.  Take your time.  So what if your three hour trip takes three and a half hours?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    A good healthy sense of towing dread is actually a great thing to have. You want to be careful, aware and alert when you tow. If you get too comfortable you can become careless. So put the nerves to good use. Drive the way you feel comfortable. Don't let traffic or crazies push you to go faster than you want to. Keep an eye on the front and an eye on the rear and motor down the road. The more you do it the better it will feel. 
    Backing a short trailer is a challenge. Try not to be too fussy. Learn to find pull through spots to stop so that you don't need to do more backing up than you need to. 
    You can practice backing...do that before your trip but know that half the fun the RV'ers have in organized campgrounds is watching newbies struggle with their gear. Some will offer to help out and all of them with have opinions and advice. It goes with the territory. 
    One thing that that it helps to remember is that if your TV can make it through, the trailer will follow. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Until you have a better comfort level, stay on the secondary roads if you can.  Having someone in the passenger seat to help you spot for lane changes will increase your confidence.  Know that our bulbous TaBs are not very aerodynamic and you will feel a tug and wind buffeting especially with faster speeds.  Slow down.  We travel the interstates regularly and never go over 62 or 63 mph.  Stay in the right lane, but be able to anticipate entry lane traffic - they don’t know that you can’t stop on a dime.  Sometimes we stay in the middle lane for this reason.  You are correct that the TaBs tow better with some added gear weight.  Your tongue weight is an important factor in towing comfort.  Scope out rest areas along the way as well as available Love’s, FlyingJ, and Pilot stations.  They cater to truckers and always have nicely graded approaches and easy access parking.  We have the book The Next Exit and it is great for finding places to stop, dine, gas up etc.  Exposure to different terrain helps.  If you only pull on the flat, hills are a different experience.  Know the limits of your TV.  We have similar specs with our Sienna minivan and find it a very capable and comfortable ride.  Practice makes perfect!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
    The backing up hasn't been too bad. I do practice but is much easier alone in an empty parking lot than in a crowded wooded campground. My first experience was a tight spot having to navigate between 2 trees barely 10 feet apart and almost no room to pull forward so I could just backup straight. I did get onlookers and the campground owner offered help, but was eventually able to navigate it on my own.

It's the towing that has given me a little stress. Every bump, constantly looking on rear view mirror. Just not used to it yet I guess (hope).
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    A respect and awareness is good, fear is not. When towing, never forget it is there, think way ahead, am I exiting in a few miles, what lane should I be in, should I pass that slightly slower vehicle just to get to turn off a few seconds sooner, etc. Merging back to your right (blind side) is always a risk.

Smooth driving helps, no quick steering or brake inputs if you can avoid it, leave more following distance and think ahead.

Learn to use and trust both side mirrors and check them very often.

Practice, practice, practice!

When driving your #1 priority should be driving, especially true towing, high alert at all times is good!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Even after 13 years, I am very aware and have a bit of trepidation when towing, especially first trip of the year. One thing I'm noticing is smells and sounds. As I'm going down the road.... is that burning smell just the area I'm passing through, or is it me?? Is that sound a passing vehicle, or is it me??
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @Jersey, all good input here.  Some of the following may not be new to you, but here's my two cents:
    • It is good that you are aware of bumps and rattles (and smells, like burning rubber or brakes) as suggested by @Mouseketab.  If it is a smell (e.g., burning brakes), I usually give it a little time before I worry, to see if the smell goes away.  A lot depends on where you are.  For example, if you are at the bottom of a steep grade, starting to head up the hill, and smell something like that, it may actually be coming from a truck on the other side of the highway that is coming down the grade and riding their brakes too much.
    • A bump here and there is usually no big deal and normal, but if it is a thump-thump-thump, or your  tow vehicle or trailer begin weaving slightly and things just don't feel right, it could be a flat tire.  The key is not to panic and to gently slow the vehicle and pull off along the side of the road or onto an off-ramp if you suspect there may be an issue with either your tow vehicle or trailer.
    • As has already been mentioned, plan ahead and change lanes in advance of when you need to so that you can be sure you have plenty of room before switching lanes.  Be sure to turn on your turn signals well before changing lanes so that drivers behind you are aware of your intention and will hopefully slow down to allow you sufficient room to move over safely.
    • When making turns at a corner, especially when turning right, be sure to pull forward a little further before beginning your turn so that you do not cut it too tight.  Same goes for turning in alongside the gas pumps at a gas station or truck stop.
    • Consider purchasing a couple small round blind-spot mirrors and attach them to the lower outer corner of your side-view mirrors.  If you are not used to driving with blind-spot mirrors, they may take some getting used to, but they are extremely helpful.  They have saved my bacon more than once when I had to react quickly on a freeway, or when I had to make a last-second decision to change lanes.  Beyond that, they just make it a whole lot easier to see vehicles that are driving alongside you and your trailer (in your "blind spot.")  They are also extremely helpful when backing, because they help you see objects on the ground or alongside your vehicle, which might not otherwise be noticed when backing.  Once you get the hang of using them, you will never want to drive without them.
    • Learn how to properly down-shift your transmission when climbing or descending a steep highway grade.  Let your transmission do the slowing on downgrades so that you are not riding your brakes.  Downshifting on downgrades will also help you maintain control of your tow vehicle and trailer.  Use a lower gear for extra power, if needed, when climbing a steep grade.
    • Pull-through sites are not always available, especially in state parks or forest service campgrounds.  Therefore, when backing into a campsite, I find it easier if I approach the campsite (when able) from the left (driver side) of my tow vehicle.  It is easier, because it allows you to more easily see your backing path from the driver's side mirror.  Also, as mentioned, because your trailer is short, you generally don't need to make sharp or wide backing movements.  It also helps when approaching a site to slightly drive into the site entrance and then curve your tow vehicle outward and away from the campsite entrance a sufficient distance before backing into the site.  This method is a good way to properly align your trailer for easier backing into the site.
    • If you have not already learned this simple trick, when backing, it helps to put your hand at the bottom center of the steering wheel and turn the steering wheel with that hand in the direction you want the rear of your trailer to go.  Move the steering wheel to the left and the back of your trailer will move to the left.  Move the steering wheel to the right and the back of your trailer will move to the right.  Give this a try in a parking lot and you will see how easy it makes backing up.
    Beyond that, the advice to relax and enjoy the ride is probably the most important tip.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Check Amazon for clip on tow mirrors.

I stop at a gas station about 10 miles from home just before I get on the interstate and do another walk around checking all the various connections.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    These side mirrors have been working great for 3 years now on our Sienna van.  They give a wider view, not only of lanes on either side, but also behind the trailer to a significant degree and of trailer wheels as well (which at a quick glance can let you see just how close the trailer is to the edge of your lane or a curb)..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AJH1HK
    After my first experience pulling the Tab, I am especially careful now about making wider turns at sharp corners, and the wider mirrors helped teach me how wide I need to be.  On our very first trip after picking ours up at the dealer, I had to make a right turn at a city intersection onto a narrow street with a sharp vertical curb; but I was not wide enough & the wheel hit the curb & jumped up over it with a jolt.  We ended up with a ding in the alloy wheel, but it survived otherwise.  I had been accustomed to pulling a narrower 5x10 ft utility trailer, so was not new to towing a trailer.  The mirrors make a big difference, once you get used to using them.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    This is my third summer and I still get nervous and anxious. Everyone's tips above are excellent. Thanks @Bayliss I think I will go ahead and get the little blind spot mirrors as I hate having to swivel my head and move to get a clear view. Can you link to what you have?

I use a very detailed checklist, which helps alleviate the worry of forgetting to do something.

One item I bought that made me feel better last year was a TireMinder. I always worried I wouldn't notice if the tires were going flat and any bump or odd sensation caused me concern. I could only see the drivers side tire in my rear view mirror too. I bought the version with four caps, but just use two on the trailer. I also had the valve stems on the trailer tires replaced with high pressure valve stems. (I actually also bought new Good Year Endurance tires). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797MT15V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    BrianZ said:
    These side mirrors have been working great for 3 years now on our Sienna van.  They give a wider view, not only of lanes on either side, but also behind the trailer to a significant degree and of trailer wheels as well (which at a quick glance can let you see just how close the trailer is to the edge of your lane or a curb)..
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AJH1HK
    After my first experience pulling the Tab, I am especially careful now about making wider turns at sharp corners, and the wider mirrors helped teach me how wide I need to be.  On our very first trip after picking ours up at the dealer, I had to make a right turn at a city intersection onto a narrow street with a sharp vertical curb; but I was not wide enough & the wheel hit the curb & jumped up over it with a jolt.  We ended up with a ding in the alloy wheel, but it survived otherwise.  I had been accustomed to pulling a narrower 5x10 ft utility trailer, so was not new to towing a trailer.  The mirrors make a big difference, once you get used to using them.
    Curious if you noticed increased road noise? How about the finish on the Sienna's mirrors? How secure are you that they are secure, especially in high winds or opposing truck traffic on a two-lane road? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    argemargem Member Posts: 17
    As a tip for traveling with the tab, always look when pulling into gas station, restaurant, etc. How am I going to get out of here! Taking into account my turning radius and what am i going to have to back into if I get blocked. The gas stations seems like my biggest worry esp. in unfamiliar areas so many of them are set up strange with customer parking right in your way
    Ron & Abbie-Ashland,Ky 2005DM CS towed by 2014 Venza
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited June 2020
    @dsfdogs, something similar to these will work (link below.)  2" round are usually about the right size, unless you have larger mirrors.  You can find blind-spot mirrors like these at Wal*Mart or any auto parts store.  You don't necessarily want to totally rely on blind-spot mirrors.  It just depends on the situation.  Sometimes, you still need to look over your shoulder just to be sure.  But, they really do help when you have to make a quick decision to avoid a collision or road hazard.

The high pressure valves and tire pressure monitors are also a great idea.  I have done the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Safe-Ultimate-Eliminate-Parallel/dp/B07G2PFZ38/ref=pd_di_sccai_20?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07G2PFZ38&pd_rd_r=c16486c1-ba44-4d9d-801e-3d3e2516b8d5&pd_rd_w=T88ij&pd_rd_wg=ptW7J&pf_rd_p=61ce50cf-2379-4458-9044-fa8b402c702d&pf_rd_r=REEE2ZWDDSDCKTQ55Q65&psc=1&refRID=REEE2ZWDDSDCKTQ55Q65
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @argem...good point. It is step 1b for me. Right after what's the best way for me to get in there! Park as far away from the restaurant, store, etc. as possible. And if you can, take up the parking space in front of you as well, so have plenty of room to jockey around if need be.  
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    Love all these pointers.  Thinking ahead is my big strategy... lane changes, turns, and the ONLY place I want to back up is into the campsite.  I won't pull into a gas station or parking lot if there is even the chance I will have to back up.  Mr. 2Cougs is much better at it... but I can do it slow and steady.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    ^This,  I'm surprised I'm not still stuck in a tiny city gas station in Penticton, BC.  Surprised myself getting out of that tight spot! :)
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    hellysullyhellysully Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for these helpful tips. I’m right at the beginning, wondering if the idea of towing will put me off from purchasing a T@B 320 s. My TV would be a Tesla model X. Anyone have experience using a TV similar to that?

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited July 2020
    Welcome to the Forums....there have been very few posts about towing with a Tesla; but, one happened back in February with a discussion about it and various videos on the pro's and cons:
    (The originator of the thread, however, has not been back since...)

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    hellysullyhellysully Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I visited the thread as suggested. I’ve decided that EVs are not yet up to the task, sadly. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Some really good thoughts, here.

I agree, I always start out super cautious and a little nervous. @Mousketab nailed with sounds and smells, and I would add feels. Be aware if you hit a patch of vibrations. Is it the T@b or just a bad section of concrete or a groved stretch of road? I almost always hit a patch of road that has me nervous that something is amiss and it usually ends before I have to pull over and check.

Make sure you monitor your tires. Check your tire pressure  before you leave and it doesn't hurt to check it part of the way through your trip and before you leave to come home. I do try to check mine every day.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited July 2020
    I’ve towed thousands of miles across the US and up to Alaska and back.  The uncertainty or fear of the unknown will always be there regardless of how you stack or contemplate things.  Just drive defensively, leave plenty of distance, keep your speed around 65 mph and keep your tires properly inflated,  always walk around the trailer a few times and mentally note things and do a post and or pre-trip inspection.  No texting and driving, know your planned route, get some exercise when you pull off for breaks, slow down, take your time and don’t freak out in the big cities - just get through them!  

It’s interesting because we get this question frequently and sooner or later and over time, those asking become seasoned and confident owners and are helping out others going through the same issues and experiences.

I always use to know where I was at on I-80 in Nebraska when I was 10 miles out from the huge Purina cattle farm!  🤣😂🤣
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    Recently made our first longish trip and had to drive through busy Norfolk and Virginia Beach during a heavy rainstorm. That is, it was a bit stressful. We also crossed the 18-mile-long Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

Other drivers were surprisingly nice about letting me in, accomodating our length, etc. Especially truckers. Maybe it's just a Virginia thing, but other drivers seemed more courteous.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Michigan_Mike in other words do what every driver should do ALL the time! Pre, mid and post trip inspections are everyday SOP for commercial drivers and I do same in my personal vehicles too. My car is in shop for timing belt, get a loaner and noticed it has a screw in tire, not leaking so so leaving it, but being aware of things ALL the time is the take away.

So many whether towing or not, got one thing in mind and that is the destination as fast as they can, damn anything and everything else including safety.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited July 2020
    I would add, someone new to towing should stick with slower speeds, like 55mphmor less, until they get the hang of towing.  Another point, is to always be aware of the trailer, especially when turning.  You need to take turns a little wider, especially going around a 90-degree corner, or out a driveway.

Practice first — find a big empty lot, or other no traffic area, and hook up and un-hook the trailer, try changing the tyre, and practice backing up, where you have room and can see around the trailer.  These are all skills we need to learn when first starting out.

I would also add to check your brakes and bearings for overheating as you drive along, especially at highway speeds.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Kr@ckenKr@cken Member Posts: 146
    I was also new to towing so I took an 8 hour towing lesson (split into 2 days) with a local company. I was going to be camping solo most of the time so really had to try to nail the parking thing. My instructor spent hours with me in an empty parking lot, went with me to a local campsite and assisted with first time back in and set up and came back for the second session in the morning. Best money I ever spent!! We went from small narrow road onto the highway and then back to my very narrow gravel driveway. Just a thought for newbie’s who have never towed before. 
    Kr@cken
    2020 T@B 320 Boondock
    Factory Victron Solar, Norcold 3 way Fridge
    Clueless about everything electronic
    2020 Subaru Ascent 
    Bainbridge Island, Wa
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That was a good investment and first class instruction/service.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    trimtabtrimtab Member Posts: 237
    It must have looked funny, but I spent some time in an empty church lot and practiced backing up and parking. I also  drove around in reverse just to get the feel and reactions of such a short coupled trailer (320-s boon). Spent years long ago with a horse trailer behind me, but it was much longer. Practice, even though you won't get to Carnegie Hall, it's worth it.
    2020 320-S boondock, solar, 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    There are a lot of empty parking lots right now. It's a great time to practice.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2020
    AirBoss said:
    Curious if you noticed increased road noise? How about the finish on the Sienna's mirrors? How secure are you that they are secure, especially in high winds or opposing truck traffic on a two-lane road? 
    Sorry I'm so late in responding to your message, but better than never I hope..
    No, I haven't really noticed any increased noise.
    Our Sienna mirror has a flat black plastic finish that hasn't suffered any adverse effects; although, it's 15 y/o, so we're not too concerned about cosmetics.
    These mirrors are very secure when properly installed & tightened using the ratcheting straps & clipped properly over the edge of the mirror housing.  I can imagine, though, that there may be some cars with mirror designs that just don't fit well with these clip-ons.
    We've used them for over 5K miles in a variety of conditions, including 2-lane roads with trucks.  We don't typically have the high winds that western states may have, but have driven at 70 mph on interstates before without any issues.
    Only negative so far is that we are not able to use the Sienna's mirrors, because the clips interfere with its range of motion; but that's no loss, as I only use the wider ones anyway.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods