No hot water - Alde fuse blown

ppitxppitx Member Posts: 5
Just bought a 2014 TAB s max, first time out. On shore power. Control set as shown. Ran hot until sputtering stopped in both shower and sink. No hot water.
2014 TAB S Max, 2006 Toyota Tundra, Austin, TX

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2020
    How long did you give the Alde to heat the water? It'll take @ 20min. to get hot.

Is your glycol level up to minimum (glycol tank is under the back shelf)?

Are all fuses and breakers ok? (There are two fuses on the Alde circuit board. Under the plastic Alde cover in the two green fuse holders - careful not to drop them into never land!)

Also check that the Alde 120V is plugged in (in the Alde compartment).

(Off the top of my head)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    Settings are correct. "Sputtering" suggests a problem with the water supply, not the heater itself. Can you elaborate a bit on exactly what is happening?
    2015 T@B S
  • ppitxppitx Member Posts: 5
    I found the glycol tank and sure enough it is bone dry. Will get some and fill it up when I get home. Thanks very much, I never would have known that!
    When I first connected to city water the faucet sputtered for a few seconds releasing air in the line. It ran steadily after that.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2020
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear that.

In that case you'll want to find why the glycol is gone. 

Before you fill it up, be sure the brass drain plug is still in the glycol drain tube. The drain tube sticks out of the bottom of the floor in the area of the Alde. It's rubber and the tube is about ¾" O.D.

The drain plug is just a basic brass plug held in the rubber tube with a clamp.

If 'drain plug missing' is the reason you have no glycol, then refilling it will require quite a bit of tilting, tipping, jostling, and prayer, to get the air completely out of the system.

The manual bleeder is in the rubber hose that leads to the passenger side radiator. It's in the far rear corner. Opening that a few times will help, but it's still a PITA to get all the air out without using the "official" pump that Alde recommends.

The "automatic bleeder" that you can see in the Alde compartment is really not designed to remove large amounts of air. That one really is only designed to remove bits of air that is naturally released from heating the water.

There have been quite a few discussions about this 'bleeding the air out of the glycol'. You might do a search in this forum.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Thanks very much. I will dig into it when I get home.
    edited June 2020
    Turned out to be one of the fuses under the cover described by ChanW. When I got a good look at the glycol level there was still a little bit in there so maybe it did not need bleeding. I will keep an eye on that. Thanks, ChanW!