Number of Batteries and/or Propane Cylinders

KarmKarm Member Posts: 18
We just ordered the TAB S with the Boondock package.  We want to maximize the trailer's off road capability.  What combination of batteries/propane cylinders is optimal.  My dealer told me he can rig the trailer with two batteries and two cylinders.  What about three batteries and one cylinder?  Is that setup possible?

Any other info on making the S off road capability would be appreciated.

Karm

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Welcome to the Forums.......
    People throw the word "offroad" around...but no body really knows what you or I would agree is "off road". My Outback does just fine on Forest Service roads, some which get a little rutted, etc.  You won't be climbing rocks with a Tab.  Little rocks, maybe.  Your rocks may vary. 
    "Optimal" for battery/propane is also a matter of great variance.  What would you need to power with that much battery capability?  Which fridge will you have?  Are you considering solar panels? 
    One tank of propane can last weeks......
    Next is: tongue weight.  I know little about this...but three batteries could weigh up to 200 pounds by themselves.
    On the "offroad" subject, our very own influencer, Mandy Lea, along with her sidekick Kendrick, are very experienced, and they made this video on the subject a year or so ago.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @Karm I guess it's one thing to have ground clearance and patience to go off road to remote camp areas... then another to have enuf juice and gas to stay a couple weeks.

On the first, it's not just rocks but washed out "roads" to access dispersed camping sites. My car only has 6" of ground clearance, and even with that limited clearance, with some washouts the gray tank dump wants to scrape. But I'm guessing that won't be an issue with the greater Boondock package clearance.

I use 3 AGM batteries, 2 propane tanks, some solar, and I run out of water or waste tank space before anything else. Your choice of 2 batteries / 1 tank, or 4 batteries / 3 tanks will all depend on how much propane cooking or heating you need.  The nice thing is you can always add a spare tank to the front rack, or find some spare storage space and cable up an extra battery as your needs grow. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• KarmKarm Member Posts: 18
    PThomas and DougH, thanks for your comments.  I plan on pulling my trailer with my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk with Jeep's factory installed towing package.  No, I am not going to do rock climbing with my rig.  I would like to be able to drive through sand, mud, water, and the other usual suspects found on dirt roads.

So, I have a follow up question:  Initially I will be using the standard factory equipment that comes with the S.  DougH mentioned that with his setup he runs out of water or waste tank space before he runs out of power.  With the understanding that outside temperature etc. are all important variables would two batteries and two propane tanks allow me to max my time doing dry camping?

karm
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2021
    It's still pretty variable. It would depend on the time of year (for propane heat), how much you cook outdoors vs on the stove (is firewood going to be available, or are you desert camping?), how much time you spend in the Tab with heat on, how much you need your lights on, or fan, or .... etc
    Best way to know is to camp a bit in the style and areas you prefer, and work up from there. 
    We camped for a long weekend at @ -5°F overnights, and didn't tap into our second tank, but any longer, we would have. We also didn't spend that much time inside the Tab, more outside around the fire, or out skiing, hiking, or skating, etc.
    As @DougH said, you can always carry an extra tank and/or battery, while you're figuring it out.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Karm - the above responses are prudent and based on experience.  Only you can determine your power, water and waste needs in a given situation.  Just go with a basic setup for now.  Have an exit plan in case things go South (don't be too cold, hot or hungry). After several campouts, you'll know exactly what you need.  Then spend the money on what your think is appropriate.  I have too many square feet of unused camping stuff in my garage because I bought before I experienced.  Good luck to you and welcome to the forum.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • KarmKarm Member Posts: 18