Options

2021 Tab 400 Boondock - Nautilus Settings to Sanitize Plumbing Lines

marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 130

(Title edited for search purposes.  Moderator)

Hello, everyone.  I am a newbie RV owner and took possession of my 2021 Tab400 Boondock late last summer.  I have learned so much from this group, and the support and rapport of the forum was a significant factor in my overall purchasing decision.

I have scoured this forum and read several threads and documents that discuss and debate the proper settings for using the Nautilus P3 system to sanitize the 2021 Tab400 but I have not found a definite answer on the settings needed to run the bleach solution from the fresh water tank into the plumbing lines while bypassing the Alde system.

So far, I have successfully cleared all interior and exterior plumbing lines, as well as the Alde system (which was not bypassed by the dealer last fall during winterization) of antifreeze.  I have also filled the fresh water tank and used the “sanitize” mode to add the bleach solution to the fresh water tank.  My conundrum is specifically the required settings for the four inverter handles to run that solution into the plumbing lines but NOT the Alde system.   Unlike earlier versions of the Nautilus system, the Alde bypass is built into the various settings rather than a single lever.

It appears this system is very new and unique to the 2021 Tab400, and new owners are going through this for the very first time – including me.   Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I have also reached out to NuCamp support, and if I receive a response before one is posted here, I will gladly share their response.  Given that my dealer did not bypass the Alde during winterization, I’m not optimistic I will get an accurate response going that route.

--Marlee

Proud Newbie Owner of 2021 Tab400 Boondock, TV 2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee

--Marlee
2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    That’s a good question.  The P3 Nautilus instructions only mention sanitizing the tank - no mention of the plumbing lines.  It also says that placing it in Dry Camping Mode makes water available to all fixtures which you don’t want...because if you open the hot water tap, you will fill the Alde tank.  But, if you keep the Red handle horizontal and turn the remainder to the Dry Camp Mode, Nautilus instructions says:

RED HANDLE: Receives water from cold water supply line

Sideways - water goes to hot water fixtures without going through hot water heater

Up – water goes to hot water heater

So, keep the red valve horizontal, turn on your water pump and open your taps to get some bleach into both the cold and hot lines.

That’s my vote!  Good luck!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thank you, Sharon, for taking the time to do a little research and thinking on this.  You are correct, and your recommendation worked!  As a precaution, I did empty the Alde water tank before proceeding so that I could immediately tell if it was not being bypassed.

To recap for other new 2021 Tab400 owners who may be struggling with this question, once you have added the bleach solution to the fresh water tank via "sanitizing" mode, change to "dry camping" mode BUT with the red inverter handle in the horizontal position.  This will enable you to use the water pump to pull the bleach solution from the fresh water tank into each hot and cold faucet WITHOUT engaging the Alde system.  I will use the same settings in order to fully flush the fresh water tank and plumbing lines in a few hours.

Thanks again, and happy camping! (And if I get a different answer from NuCamp support, I will post it here.)

--Marlee

Proud Newbie Owner of 2021 Tab400 Boondock, TV 2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee

--Marlee
  • Options
    @marleecamps - Oh, I made a good guess😂. Glad it worked.  At some point I will record the steps for de Winterizing and sanitizing the 400 with Nautilus like I did for the 320.  We’ll see.
  • Options
    p21usap21usa Member Posts: 13
    Interesting thread!  When we sanitized our system for the first time last year, we were confused by the vertical position of the red lever on the P3 panel.  We actually took a red sharpie and "corrected" it, lol.  After reading this, I am more confident that we did the right thing!
  • Options
    KsublettKsublett Member Posts: 8
    Please do a step by step instruction for 2021 Tab 400 newbies.  I’m confused by reading all the comments and am a very visual step by step person. I thought you just oriented the settings like shown on the panel and ran the bleach and siphoned to tank via pump.  But I guess there is way more to it than that based on this post.  It’s so frustrating to a new owner with zero experience.  I won’t get my 2021 Tab until June but am already worried I’m going to mess something up due to things not being clear cut. 
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 988
    p21usa said:
    Interesting thread!  When we sanitized our system for the first time last year, we were confused by the vertical position of the red lever on the P3 panel.  We actually took a red sharpie and "corrected" it, lol.  After reading this, I am more confident that we did the right thing!
    I think I have figured out this system from my limited time with it.  When you "sanitize" it is fine to have the red lever vertical.  No water will go into the hot water tank because the blue handle is vertical (pointing down).  With the blue handle in this position any water coming into the trailer from the inlet valve on the nautilus will be directed right into the tank and not into the water pipes that go to any of the fixtures to include the hot water heater.  However, it does not hurt anything to also have the red lever horizontal as this is the final gate that prevents any water from entering the hot water tank.  But you don't have to even think about that if you use "sanitize" as your water heater is already bypassed.    

To sanitize your system just set the system to "sanitize" as directed by the diagram.  This will siphon bleach solution or whatever cleaner you use from your container directly into the tank and not anywhere else.  Then set the system to "winterize" and this will pump the bleach solution from your container into the rest of the system bypassing the hot water heater and the fresh water tank (which you have already pumped bleach solution into).  It's just like winterizing your water lines but using bleach solution instead of RV antifreeze.    

Yes you could also follow marleecamps directions but then you have to remember to set it to "dry camping" but place the red lever in a different position.  More confusing or easier to make a mistake and forget to do that.  I find it easier to just follow the diagram, "sanitize" then "winterize."  If you only want to sanitize your water tank and not you plumbing lines then you can skip using the "winterize" part.   

Then to flush out the bleach solution just drain the fresh water tank, fill it with clean water and drain several times until no bleach is in it.  I would use the "power tank fill" for this as it is faster than siphon mode and you don't need to use the water pump.  Once your water tank is clear of bleach just "dry camp" or "city water" and open the fixtures until the bleach solution is clear of the lines.  I would recommend dry camp as there will be a tiny bit of bleach solution in the pump and that will clear it out of the pump.  But "city water" will also do just fine. 

It is really just like sanitizing a traditional RV system just more levers in a different spot.  Follow the diagrams and you'll be okay.  By doing this you don't have to worry if you have the red lever in the right or wrong position.   I think what confuses people is that the "sanitize" mode only sanitizes the fresh water tank.  You then have to "winterize" to get the solution to the water fixtures.  But this is the same as having to sanitize a traditional RV system.  It's a two step process.   It's just a less familiar system and all those levers in one place can be intimidating.  But actually I find it pretty convenient.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Thanks @bergger!  That works and makes sense.  
  • Options
    Thank you, bergger, for weighing in here.  (I am still waiting for an official response from nuCamp Support - I am sure they are swamped, so I will not pester them given that I was able to move ahead.  But I will post their response when provided.)

I actually pondered using the "winterizing mode" in order to get bleach into the plumbing lines.  But barring clear guidance from the documentation, I was reluctant to do so, echoing another poster's fear of screwing things up.  The work-around of using "dry camping" with the red inverter lever turned horizontal did work - but, as you point out, with an unnecessary complication.

This forum is invaluable in helping us learn from each other, particularly for us newbies.
    --Marlee
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Also, their is no real need to sanitize your water lines, as you can just flush them out quite easily.  But if you want to do so, switch to dry camping mode, Alde bypass vale in bypass position (to keep water out of the hot water tank), turn on the pump and flush some of the sanitize solution through the water lines by turning on the respective water tap, and Bob’s your uncle... 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @denny16 as noted in my original post, the Nautilus P3 system used in the 2021 400 does not have a dedicated Alde bypass lever.  Hence, the reason for the post.  It would have been fairly simple to proceed if that had been the case.  By building the logic into the various settings, it actually seems to have made things more complicated ...especially for non-engineers like me.  And the incomplete Nautilus P3 instructions left me uncertain and confused.  The dewinterizing documentation includes sanitizing the lines along with the fresh water tank, so as a newbie doing this process for the first time in my life, I assumed it was required.  But this forum came to the rescue, and all turned out well.  Lessons learned and documented, knowledge acquired, and on to the next learning opportunity!
    --Marlee
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Yes, I know, but the red lever in the middle of the Nautilus panel is the Alde bypass valve, does exactly the same function, just not labeled as such, hence the confusion.
    cheers
  • Options
    I am going to get that sharpie out and mark it!!
    --Marlee
  • Options
    Grand idea, enjoy your new TaB!
    cheers