Jensen Replacement

AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
edited April 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
Replaced my Jensen radio with an LG Blu-ray player (Amazon/$73) that has WiFi connectivity. Can do streaming video (Amazon, Netflix ...) using my phone as a hot spot. Also added a small Bluetooth receiver tied to the back speakers to stream music. The question is, what to do with the old Jensen? Is there a market? Toss it? Give it away?
Before .....

After .....

Stockton, New Jersey
2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,272
    Also makes for a nice dual monitor workstation.
    Too bad I'm retired. :)

Stockton, New Jersey

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    edited July 2021
    Is the BluRay 12v? If not  you may want to keep the Jensen so you can put it back if you ever want to sell the trailer. A player that only operates on 110 power won’t be useful for many trailer buyers. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    edited July 2021
    @Marceline ... Yes, it's 12V. Snipped the end off the power supply and attached it to the trailers 12V wire that fed the Jensen. It's working fine so far. I just ran a test of all the draws on my battery. The LG only takes about .3-.4 amps when running on WiFi or a DVD. My monitor, sound bar and the LG combined had about a 2.4 amp draw.
    Stockton, New Jersey

edited February 2022
    Think I'm done messing with the Jensen removal. Found a clock that fit nicely into the strange opening above the Blu-ray player. The picture hinges up to access my Bluetooth receiver when necessary. Maybe not the prettiest setup, but functional.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Nice job. 
    Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Embarrassingly have to admit that I fried the computer monitor that I had been streaming to. While switching to a beefier bracket, I touched the non shielded part of the power supply plug to the monitor steel casing. Not sure what exactly happened, but it sparked and smoke came out of the monitor. Of the many power supplies that I've worked with, this is the only one that had the positive inner core exposed at the face. Lesson learned, turn off the power before plugging in the power supply.

We found a 27" Samsung monitor on sale at BJ's that was powered by a 14V brick. With the higher voltage from our LiFePO4's, I'm hoping to be in a safe range. I'm testing now, but it's working fine.

Stockton, New Jersey

• DMatternDMattern Member Posts: 22
    Have you tried a high-resolution signal through the media center?
    Bubbles - 2022 T@B 400 Boondock
    Tug - 2021 F-150 4x4 Hybrid
    edited April 2023
    @DMattern, the Samsung supports up to 1920 x 1080 resolution. The video is coming from a Fire TV Stick. Not the 4K version, but it does output 1080P through the HDMI. Plenty good enough on a screen this size.

Stockton, New Jersey

• SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    AnOldUR said:
    We found a 27" Samsung monitor on sale at BJ's that was powered by a 14V brick. With the higher voltage from our LiFePO4's, I'm hoping to be in a safe range. I'm testing now, but it's working fine.
    We used the 14 volt Samsungs in our motorhome for several years on 12.6 volts with no problems.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
    edited April 2023
    Good information @slj. I'm guessing that you never let your lead acid battery drop below the 12.05V / 50% level. I doubt if I'll ever get my lithium that low, so that gives me confidence that it will be fine. Thanks!
    Stockton, New Jersey

• SLJSLJ Member Posts: 445
    AnOldUR said:
    Good information @slj. I'm guessing that you never let your lead acid battery drop below the 12.05V / 50% level. I doubt if I'll ever get my lithium that low, so that gives me confidence that it will be fine. Thanks!
    Nope. It had four 6V deep cycle batteries and a built in generator.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York