Options

Microwave removal 2021 320S Boondock

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2023 in Modifications & Upgrades
Welp- thought it would be a piece of cake to take out the microwave from our 2021 320S, but no luck yet. When we pull it out, the trim face won't make it past the air vent that's on the adjacent wall.  Of course, we can't separate the oven from the trim due to the same wall.  It doesn't seem like the HVAC vent easily pops off, but we are cautious to not break stuff, either.  

We hope that once it's past the vent, we'll be able to angle it so it doesn't hang up on the Alde control panel.  SO -- can we pop off that vent cover, and how? What other advice do peeps have on this?

Didn't find any tips on this by searching the forum, and sorry if this is a repeat, but some advice would be greatly appreciated here!  We'll rarely be at sites with electric hookups, and see no sense lugging a microwave around when we could score a little extra storage.

Photo attached.

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    edited September 2023
    I think you are correct about there being no information regarding removal of a factory installed microwave from the newer t@bs. The only info I recall is where to install one in the older models. As you progress, plz post updates and pictires as I'm sure you won't be the only owner attempting such a mod.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    thanks.  we're getting winterized in a few weeks, so we can always see ask the dealer. Not sure if they will be helpful on this or not, but we'll try if we haven't solved by then.
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    Thanks for the heads up!  I too wanted to pull the microwave out of our 2021 320S Boondock and I thought it would be a piece of cake.  Four screws and it pops right out, correct?  Not quite.

As you surmised, the secret is to pop off the air conditioning vent.  It does just pull off.  It is held on by 3 tabs (see pic).  Pull firmly on the outer ring - not the moveable louvers.  Once the vent is out of the way the microwave comes out, still with very little clearance, but it does clear the Alde and Air8 panels.

There are quite a few wires back there!  Now I've got to figure out what kind of shelving and door to put on the face to take advantage of this new storage!

2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    I just logged on to share my photos of today's removal, and voila, you've done it!  It looks like you were able to leave the ring screwed to the wall.  We had to take that off too, but the drill made short work of 3 screws.  The last one required me using my fingers and the bit because the microwave blocked using the drill there.

Like you, we need to figure out how exactly we'll use the space. We probably won't go with a formal door, but maybe a fabric-wrapped frame that we can inset or hook in to keep items in place while our T@b's in motion.  

It did feel good to lug that deadweight of the microwave into our basement. When we eventually sell our T@B, we will have a mint microwave to go with it.  ;-)
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 188
    To cover the wiring I built a false back out of 1/8” plywood with 1” spacers and is attached with Velcro. I cut a finger hole so I can pull it off easily if I need to access the wiring. I painted it white so the cabinet doesn’t become a dark hole. 

I’m thinking about installing a tambour door. They sell some nice unfinished wood kits that look like they might work. I’d like to see what you end up with. 

Now I have a microwave and a television, both in mint condition. I’m thinking about building a spice rack or some other storage in the cubby where the tv mount was. So many things to do in such a little space!  But it’s fun!!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Options
    Hadn't thought of a false back. That'll help keep things neat. I'll do a riff on your idea and post it.  I haven't talked my husband out of removing the TV yet - even tho we don't even own a tv at home and I can't imagine we'd use it in t@b.  Fun options abound; thanks for sharing your ideas!