Winterizing TAB 400 Boondock 2021 - Pump problem

GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
I have done all the steps up to turning on the pump to suction antifreeze from the jug. I have everything set right on WINTERIZATION, but there is no suction. Water faucet in kitchen is wide open with pump running. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Comments

• WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    I just winterized my 2021 320S. I have a short section of hose that I stuck in the antifreeze jug. It would not pull a suction (same thing you’re experiencing) so I raised the hose above the level of the pump and used a funnel to pour antifreeze in the hose. It burped a few times and I poured more in until it wouldn’t take any more. Then I put the jug back on the ground, inserted the hose, hit the pump and it worked fine.  

Good luck!  I hope this helps. 
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • GiotaGiota Member Posts: 57
    I used the funnel like you last year and it finally worked, but this year it didn't. No burping. I'm starting not to like this Nautilus system at all. I can't winterize if the suction doesn't work. Anyone have other ideas on how to get the suction working?
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    I have to pour the fluid into a short hose then actually blow it into the pump a few times to prime it.  Then is sucks it up fast! 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    I so appreciate your comment.👍 Do you use a compressor to blow it in? How long is the short hose? 
    No I don't blow the lines out with air.  I feel that is kind of pointless if you are just going to fill them with more fluid.  Just make sure you get antifreeze in all the lines (hot/cold lines, sinks, shower, outside shower, low point drains.  Also leave some on top of the toilet valve and make sure you get some in the waste gate valves.  The hose I use is probably 24" but I have never measured it.  I had to pour and blow antifreeze into it several times this year before the pump primed.  Also keep the faucets closed when you are trying to prime it.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    I think the question was whether you blow the antifreeze in by mouth or by compressor.  I assume the former - I'd like to know too as I plan to do my first winterizing in a few weeks!
    Yes, you are exactly right. The question is: Do you blow air in with your mouth or compressor?
  • WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 187
    Has anyone tried turning the pump on while the hose is elevated and filled with antifreeze?  That was going to be my next step but my pump picked up suction just by filling the hose. The antifreeze is nontoxic but it sure tastes nasty if you get it on your lips!!
    2021 320S BD
    2006 F-150
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    This worked! I used a little longer and wider diameter hose and held it high with a long deep funnel. I didn't have to blow into the tube. Suction worked immediately. Thank goodness. And thanks for all of your comments on this thread. You helped immensely! See photo attached.
    Ha gotcha!  I guess I should have understood the question!  I use my mouth with no ill effects so far. 
    Leadville Colorado
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 283
    Giota said:
    This worked! I used a little longer and wider diameter hose and held it high with a long deep funnel. I didn't have to blow into the tube. Suction worked immediately. Thank goodness. And thanks for all of your comments on this thread. You helped immensely! See photo attached.
    Awesome!  I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that - I've had good luck siphoning water into the tank using the pump so maybe I'll luck out.  Our forecast still doesn't show anything close to frost temps for the next few weeks so I may still be able to squeeze in a trip or two before trying.  Either way, thanks for sharing!  
    edited October 2021
    It's not so bad if you have to blow into it.  Actually has a sweet taste to it!  Just keep it away from little kids!!! They should make it taste <terrible>  :o

—Edited to remove inappropriate language reference. While not totally spelled, the implied word is inappropriate for a family oriented forum. Verna, T@B Forum Admin
    Leadville Colorado
  • BordermicBordermic Member Posts: 1
    I realize this is an old post but it was immensely helpful to me for winterizing before the big chill down here in Texas for Christmas 2022.  Finally got the pump to take in the antifreeze after seeing Giota's very visual post on siphoning the antifreeze into the pump!  Thank you all for posting all your wonderful tips and tricks!
    Michele Markey
    2021 Tab 320S
    2021 4Runner 
  • DuaneDuane Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2021 400 in to get winterized and they found that the Nautilus system had the wrong decals and once they identified the issue were able to winterize as normal.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    "Wrong decals?"  Can you get us more info?  Who told them the decals were "wrong"? 
    Welcome to the Forums, btw!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi