Options

400 and 320 owners: Did you get your screen door yet? (Bad News)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
edited June 2022 in Products and Accessories
I took delivery 2/16/22 and I knew well in advance the screen door was not available at time of shipment.  Has anyone who took delivery without their screen door received it yet? It could be quite a long wait.  These days you can't even speculate on time frames.  

(Title edited for search purposes.)

Comments

• Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    We took delivery of our 400 early December 2021.  I've been pestering the dealer every month.  It arrived 3/25.  Dealer said I could come and pick it up and install myself.  No thanks.  With me, there is no such thing as a small project.  Earliest they could do it was last week of April.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    Oh! Sounds like I started getting impatient just in time to possibly be close to getting mine! I will call my dealer tomorrow. I'm pretty handy so I will have them ship it to me. Thanks!
  • Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    Our 2020 Tab 400 was shipped to dealer with no screen door. Someone at the plant blew it. Too far from any dealer, so they shipped door directly to us. All I could get from factory crew was instructions for installing a different door in a 320. That, and had to figure out screw numbers and sizes on my own (no screw pack). Hopefully they will send a decent step-by-step and the appropriate screws. I did cut a couple of small blocks out of a 2 x 4 to wedge between top of door and wall. In the end, it's secure. The ornamental plastic pieces that snap into the top corners have to be re-snapped in on a regular basis.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    Yea, I was kind of assuming there would be a screw pack. That's the hardest part of the job most times. 
  • Options
    I still don't have my screen door yet. How about you? 
  • Options
    I took delivery in December 2021.  On 3/1/22 I contacted dealer for status.  No answer.  Repeated call on 3/15.  Got return call 3/22 saying they were waiting on nuCamp.  It arrived end of March.  The earliest they could get me in was week of April 18.  Not a go for us because we were camping.  (Isn't that what we do with our Tabs?)  We agreed on May 2.  Dropped off trailer with the dealer at designated time and was then told it would be 2 weeks before it would be ready.  They were "swamped."  Am I disappointed?  YES.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    I'm expecting it to be an easy install (famous last words right!) So I will be installing it but yikkes two weeks in camping season is an eternity! 
  • Options
    SoCalEsbenSoCalEsben Member Posts: 42
    Any status updates on your door? We took delivery (TAB 400) on 01/22/22 and we still haven't gotten a screen door. We've been asking for a status multiple times, dealer and NuCamp, but apparently that is impossible to get...
  • Options
    My screen door was installed 5/16/22.  So, a 6 month wait, but one month was due to my unavailability.  Technician decided to order replacement for front screen/shade. 
  • Options
    MikeWright01MikeWright01 Member Posts: 10
    I took delivery (T@B400) on 04-27-22 and my T@B was without a screen.  I guess I am in for a long wait.
    2022 nuCamp T@B 400 Boondock
    2021 Subaru Ascent
  • Options
    I just checked with my dealer yesterday and he hadn't heard anything and said none of their customers have received theirs yet.  I really miss it too!  I had it on my 2019 400 so I keep reaching for it and its not there!
  • Options
    Dealer just told me my screen door is shipping out next week.  
  • Options
    dgrovebeesdgrovebees Member Posts: 6
    I did not know There was supposed to be a screen door on the Tab 400 boondock that we received in December 2021. How did I miss this? Was it an option that I missed? Or a standard item that was just not included?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    The screen doors  are standard.  Contact your dealer to arrange for delivery and installation.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Dealer just emailed me to say NuCamp only mailing to the dealers and not direct to owners. This is insult to injury. I'm happy to have gotten the T@b when I did minus the screen door but now that you have them you should be pulling out all the stops to get them to waiting customers asap! I wonder if maybe the install is a little bit complicated and they are afraid we are gong to install incorrectly which will lead to future warranty claims? That's the only thing I can think of. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited June 2022
    @TabbyShack I’d bet it’s mostly that it costs nuCamp basically nothing to toss a load of screen doors into a Tab already destined for a dealer. Individually packing, labeling, and shipping to owners is a lot more labor, plus additional cost, especially if UPS etc. considers it an oversized shipment. Make the dealer track how many 400s they’ve sold and who has them, that way all you have to do is “send 15 screen doors to dealer XYZ in their next load of Tabs”. Easy peasy for the manufacturer, put all the legwork on the dealer.

This isn’t to say I agree with nuCamp here, only that I do see their logic. Where it falls down (badly, IMHO) as far as customer experience goes, is that:

- Customers have already waited months
    - Wait times for dealer appointments are generally insane (at least two months out just to drop off the trailer, and then it takes them a minimum of two weeks to actually DO anything)
    - Situations like yours, where the dealer isn’t close by
    - Plus, it presumes all dealers are good dealers who will do a good job both of communicating withcustomers and doing the actual install, which, um…yeah, that’s an overly optimistic presumption

And this isn’t improving the customer experience at all, which is a shame, because getting things like this right improves customer loyalty, while getting it wrong hurts the brand.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited June 2022
    Adding a component back on the TaB, like the screen door, is not any different than a warranty repair that has to be done by a dealer.  

The 2018 TaB floor recall, is an example, where there isn’t an alternative, and dealers who could do the repair were also limited, not all nüCamp dealers could to this level of work.  Adding the screen door back on the TaB post production is a dealer task anyway, not all new TaB owners have the ability to put the screen door in, or even a clue where to begin.  So a nüCamp solution has to be equal to all owners, and warranty work is normally done by the dealer anyway.  

Realistic, nüCamp has two options in situations where a part like the screen door is unavailable, hold up production, which happens in the case of some parts shortage, or have the dealer add the missing part on post production, if the new owner agrees.  Having the owners do the repair isn’t fair to those who can not do the work.  If a dealer agrees to provide the screen door to the owner to install, then that is between the dealer and owner.

From the buyers perspective, there are two realistic choices, do not take delivery of the TaB until the screen door is available and installed, or take early delivery, enjoy the TaB whilst you wait for parts availability, then return the TaB to the dealer when the part is available.  This is what new car buyers have to do.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    redbeardmdredbeardmd Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    My wife and I put in an order for a 2022 T@B 320CS back in September.  Received the trailer in March but were told by our dealer that the screen doors were on backorder and it wasn't installed on the trailer (but that they would get one in and install it for free).  We're rolling into June now and after talks with the dealer they said the doors are still on back order and have no ETA on when it'll be in.  

We've gone through a couple of small but annoying issues so far with the trailer (hatch lock was broken on arrival and the stove ignitor was non-operational and had to be replaced... then after replacing the stove our dealer's service department drove the screws into the stove too deep and now our top drawer wont open... so yet another trip to the dealer) that I probably could have easily fixed but since it's under warranty I'd rather not mess with things.  These little issues are making me lose faith in our dealer though and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the wait for a screen door?  If not, would that be something I should contact NuCamp about to put a fire under our dealer's butt?  Thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I think in my case, I might not have to worry about my dealer mailing it to me.  I have referred nearly a dozen customers to them of which I know they sold AT LEAST five 400's and a 320, so if they act funny about mailing it to me, I will remind them of this! haha. When I went to pick up the 400, the owner came out to personally thank me for all the referrals. 
  • Options
    @RedbeardMD it sounds like NuCamp is shipping the screens out this week to dealers.  
  • Options
    redbeardmdredbeardmd Member Posts: 2
    @TabbyShack That would be awesome!  If the dealer is aware I'm hoping I can take it in just one more time then to get the things my dealer's service department broke fixed as well as the screen door installed.    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @redbeardmd - I moved your post over here to this thread.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    My 2022 TAB320S arrived at the dealer in late November 2021 without a screen door but it had been received and installed when I picked it up in April 2022.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    Here is what I just got from my dealer.  This is BEYOND UNACCEPTABLE! I'm about to email NuCamp but thought I would post here first and give me time to cool down!  Excuse me!!! I already paid for the screen door, not to mention $35k+ for your camper, and now you tell me this!  

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news. We were originally informed these would ship directly to the customers, but that has all changed. NuCamp is refusing to send any to customers because they do not ship well and feel it requires a dealer’s installation.  We have already received freight damaged screen doors coming in from NuCamp to us and residential freight gets handled a lot more.  Per NuCamp, they will only be shipped to a residence if the customer pays the freight and is solely responsible if there is freight damage. Residential freight would cost probably around $150.00. if there is damage that would all be lost and you would be without a screen door unless you paid for a new door and the additional freight. They would not assist with the freight claim.

Is it possible you have a trip in this direction an time in the near future?"

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I took my screen door out recently to adjust the door, let's just say there would need to be packaged very well to not get damage, probably a wood framework crate.

I see the point of only shipping to dealers as it would be a lot less effort to ship a pallet load, etc. Than individually or to ship them inside new trailers being delivered.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    schwartzkischwartzki Member Posts: 46
    Mine went to the dealer and then they stuck it on one of their transporters and I met them near their pickup. I would agree, these would not ship well.
    2022 T@B 400 Boondock (7200+ miles)
    2022 - 11 trips - 34 nights
    2023 - 4 trips - 21 nights and counting
    --------------------------------------------------
    2018 BMW X5 xDrive35d (17 mpg towing avg)
    2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (10.9 mpg towing avg)
  • Options
    kottumkottum Member Posts: 226
    My suggestion is, do not pay for and accept an incomplete, completely operational camper.  They will find a way to get these components before delivery. They tried to send us out without front window and door screens and we said no way. You are definitely on the back burner once you leave the lot with your trailer and a promise.

Douglas
    Douglas and Cheryl both Navy Retired
    2022 Tab 320s Boondock/2021 Honda Ridgeline BE
    Minnesota and Arizona
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Kottum, I took delivery in February and the doors just now came into availability in June.   I know I'm complaining, but I would have missed five camping trips I already have under my belt with my new camper so not accepting it would not have been worth the loss of trips over just a screen door missing, but I never expected NuCamp to take such a cold stance on getting it to me.  They have been amazing over the past seven years. They refuse to accept ANY liability or expense to get it to me.  My dealership will only travel 35 miles out, but I'm only asking them to travel about 10 miles farther to meet me on one of my upcoming camping trips.  They've sold at least five T@B 400 and one 320 because of my referrals. 

I just don't like how I'm getting the coldest shoulder EVER from NuCamp and my dealership.  This has been treated as SOLELY my problem to figure out at my expense. 

I even emailed NuCamp to ask if they could ship a door in a unit going to a dealership closer to me, and there are two others. They said no because MY door had already been sent to my dealership!
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @TabbyShack, I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. The fact that they’ll drive 35 miles but not 45 is kind of ridiculous, even if yes, they’re under no obligation to do so. Are they installing, or just dropping it off?

Your scenario is exactly why I flinch whenever someone recommends buying an RV from a non-local dealer. Sure, you may save money or they may have the exact trailer you want right now, but when something goes sideways (and it so often does), you’re stuck dealing with a much more difficult situation than it normally would be. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    The fact is that NuCamp is growing and with that the personal service is slipping.   Don't get me wrong,  I think they are still great as compared to others but they are not as good as they used to be since they have spread to so many dealers.  That is just the way is seems to go as companies grow.  It's a shame and it'd be nice if they would be fix this.  Especially since they have a large onsite service center that you can take your trailer to for work.   Just by having that means they want to be more than just a manufacturer.  If you can visit them for service and skip the dealer they should be able to handle warranty issues and parts.  If they want to grow more they need to keep manufacturing at the current level and grow in post purchase support  so customers that spend 30-40k on a trailer don't have to rely on subpar dealers.  In my opinion NuCamp is directly responsible for selecting the dealers they sell through.  They are clearly more interested in selling trailers than in the knowledge and support their dealers can offer.  That is not right.  They need to vet them better even if that means having fewer of them.  And the fact that many dealers will only service trailers they sell is ludicrous!  If they operate that way NuCamp should not use them as a dealer.  Can you imagine if you had to take your car to the same dealer you bought it from for service.  Just my opinion. 

In addition to owing our 400 I have had the privilege of owing two off road trailers from a company in AZ called AT Overland, formerly Adventure Trailers.  They have been in business longer than NuCamp/Little Guy combined and if a business wants to know how to do customer service they need to talk to the owner of AT Overland, Mario Donovan.  Simply stellar is putting it mildly.  In 2007 when I bought my first trailer from them he actually flew out to my house to fix an issue.  They answer the phone, return calls and will do anything to make you happy.  AT Overland now has 9 dealers across the country and the service you get from them is just as good as it was when they had no dealers.  It does not matter if you buy direct from them or from a dealer.  You can always call them directly and get top notch support or go through the dealer.  Your choice.  And if there is a problem with a dealer they will educate them and make it right.  They are so amazing I'm actually buying a camper topper from them for my truck that I'll take delivery of in Sept. 

Now I know NuCamp is much larger than them but but that does not mean post purchase customer support needs to suffer.  AT Overland may be much smaller but they have a fraction of the staff vs NuCamp doing tons of custom work and they still do everything right.  NuCamp can easily improve their after purchase support for customers.  They need to refocus this part of their business so we can get actual help if needed over getting additional grief from dealers.  This will set them apart from others that are just manufacturers.  NuCamp's pledge says you become a part of the family.  Please don't kick your family member over to the babysitters house, aka the RV Dealer, when there is a problem.  If you're fortunate to have a good babysitter then good for you.  Mine was not so good. 

I still think NuCamp is a great company compared to most other RV companies but they need to work on this area for sure.  I just don't want to see it get worse.  I still love our 400 and would not trade it for anything!!
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado