Options

Removal of tree sap

JetmanJetman Member Posts: 45
edited February 2023 in Tips & Tricks
can anyone tell me what to use to remove hard, dried tree sap on the roof panel of my 400? 

Thanks 

DD

Comments

• Options
    What is the best wax to use on the aluminum panels ( top and sides) of the TAB 400
  • Options
    TabinatorTabinator Member Posts: 24
    Hi there.  Scrolling thru the forum and found your question.  I use hand sanitizer to remove sap. Place a drop of sanitizer on, rub in a bit with a finger, wait about 30 seconds for the sap to melt, then wipe with a soft cloth.  Repeat if necessary.
    2018 T@B 400 in the company of 2009 Ford Flex 2023 F150 Powerboost
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    edited April 2023
    Goo Gone is a citrus based cleaner that works well and is quite harmless to the finishes and windows on our T@Bs.  On dry sticky sap let it soak for a bit.  On vertical surfaces, soak a small piece of paper towel and stick to the effected spot to keep cleaner on it for a bit - even overnight.

• Options

Thanks for this info I will try it next time. This sap was very old and hard.I bought a plastic sheet rock scraper and chipped the majority off and then soaked in rubbing alcohol and rubbed hard with a micro fiber cloth. Fortunately no scratches in the paint.
  • Options
    ybakosybakos Member Posts: 46
    Just use simple rubbing alcohol (hand sanitizer will indeed work, too). The alcohol will dissolve it almost immediately and it'll wipe right off. If the sap is super hard, just let it soak for a minute and use a little elbow grease.
    2022 Tab 320 CS-S Boondock
  • Options
    cpinkertoncpinkerton Member Posts: 1
    Without question rubbing alcohol worked well and worked the best. I tried a number of solvents for pine sap including acetone, Coleman fuel (white gas), Goo Gone, mineral spirits. 
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 28
    I use plastic razor blades.

100OR Orange Plastic Double Edge General Purpose - 100 Blades  The Razor  Blade Company
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,003
    Rubbing alcohol does work very well but be cautious as it can take off a paint finish and you will be able to see those blemishes.  I found this out by using it on my wife's car!  The good news is that it is much less visible on lighter finishes like silver and white.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado