Options

Shelf above bed - 400 Boondock

Has anyone made a shelf above head of bed in 400? I did this in my previous camper ( R-Pod 178 ) and it proved to be a very useful shelf. Attachment to side just above lights and bathroom wall should be easy. Not so sure about ceiling attachment.

This is what I did in my R-Pod. The shelf is a lattice closet shelf from Lowes. I used pocket screws to attach to bathroom wall and small molly bolt set in 3M 5200 in ceiling. It is very strong.

Comments

• Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,217
    I would be a little hesitant attaching any weight-bearing structures to the sidewalls or ceiling. Much of the cabinetry is attached to metal framing embedded within the sidewall structure. And the ceiling is basically 1/8” luan with metal framing acting as crossbeams. If you can locate the metal framing I think you’d be fine but you’re at the mercy of their locations.

2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 39
    Thanks manyman297! The Tab structure is far superior for the R-Pod. I agree with the hesitancy, but I think a cantilevered solution ( from sidewall) or suspension brace ( from sidewall ) should work. A distributed weight attachment behind the fabric might work as well. I have found that distributing forces with an adhesive layer on 1/8 luan is surprisingly strong - in shear. Any idea on how to remove the fabric covering easily?
  • Options
    manyman297manyman297 Member Posts: 1,217
    You could even utilize the side of the fridge cabinet for a support. 

As far as removing the vinyl cover on the interior luan I do know it’s some sort of iron-on adhesive. It peels off relatively easy
    2021 400 BD
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road 
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    I installed this shelf in our 2018 400. It’s not really a storage shelf; more of a “nightstand” for my wife who sleeps under the sloped roofline and doesn’t have good access to the cubby on my side of the bed. It’s great for phones, glasses, books, etc. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 621
    @gande
    How is it attached to the interior?  Screws through the sidewall only?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 90
    @Horigan
    The vertical part of the shelf is one piece of 1/2” plywood that rests on the bed platform below, so any weight is transferred to the bed platform. The covered screws that you see are only there to hold that half inch back panel against the wall.  There is no shear load on those screws. 

Gary

gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8