Operation of Norcold 3 way fridge via inverter during travel

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
I put a watt meter on our 3way fridge out of curiosity. I was quite surprised to see that it only draws a little over 150 watts, and it is on its own 20 amp circuit. On occasion during winter we cook inside. All of the outlets are on one 15amp circuit. So you can only use one hi draw appliance at a time. So I decided to add a power strip plugging it into the other half of the fridge outlet. Placing it inside the cabinet under the sink. Now we can use our microwave and electric cook top at the same time. Since we like others spend months at a time in our T@B and can’t always cook outside. This will work for us.

resize test photo

1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    Brave sole, no one has ever dared to mess with the 3-way fridge in any way that might create an issue. :o  I will be watching this post now and want periodic updates. If you survive, others may have the courage to follow your footsteps.  :)
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Wow, only 1.3 amps draw?  And on DC it is a lot higher because there is no control of the temperature.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, I can probably hear the BOOM from here! :o=) Let 'er rip @Dalehelman!!! :whistle::who_me:;)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    SAM said:
    Wow, only 1.3 amps draw?  And on DC it is a lot higher because there is no control of the temperature.
    1.3A @ ~120VAC  or   13A @ 12VDC  both are about 150 watts.  The same power for either voltage supply as would be expected.

• EjiEji Member Posts: 12
    My Nordic 3 way fridge works on power hook up. The little green indicator light stays off when I switch to the battery mood. What am I doing wrong ?
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Eji said:
    My Nordic 3 way fridge works on power hook up. The little green indicator light stays off when I switch to the battery mood. What am I doing wrong ?
    The green light should only come on when running on propane.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    According to Norcold installation manual:

DC Operation (3-way and/or fan models only)
    12 volts DC voltage
    (11.5 volts min. - 15.4 volts max.)
    Current Draw
    11.7 Amps at 12 Volts DC
    13.6 Amps at 14 volts DC

AC Operation
    120 volts AC voltage
    (108 volts min. - 132 volts max.)
    Current Draw
    1.4 Amps at 110 Volts AC
    1.5 Amps at 120 Volts AC

‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited March 2018
    No kidding!?! It's actually optical? That's cool! 

Thanks Dale! (I love learning new stuff)
    The green light is not really a light. It is a type of fiber optic that is transferring the light from the propane flame. So no flame no light.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    This actually leads to an interesting question...does it make more sense to run the Norcold on AC via an inverter than on DC?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

ChanW said:
    No kidding!?! It's actually optical? That's cool! 

Thanks Dale! (I love learning new stuff)
    The green light is not really a light. It is a type of fiber optic that is transferring the light from the propane flame. So no flame no light.

Very interesting, indeed!

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited March 2018
    jkjenn said:
    This actually leads to an interesting question...does it make more sense to run the Norcold on AC via an inverter than on DC?
    Based on the Norcold literature cited above, the wattage (V x A) is roughly equivalent on either DC or AC. That suggests it would be an electrically expensive wash either way.

I'm also assuming the inverter itself doesn't consume any power of its own to do its magic. If I'm wrong about that, than using the inverter could actually be less efficient.
    2015 T@B S
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    ScottG said:
    jkjenn said:
    Based on the Norcold literature cited above, the wattage (V x A) is roughly equivalent on either DC or AC. That suggests it would be an electrically expensive wash either way.

I'm also assuming the inverter itself doesn't consume any power of its own to do its magic. If I'm wrong about that, than using the inverter could actually be less efficient.
    Depending on the inverter, there is some efficiency loss.  85% efficiency is about average.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    ScottG said:
    jkjenn said:

Depending on the inverter, there is some efficiency loss.  85% efficiency is about average.

My next mod. On 120v the fridge works better and has a thermostat. 12v never seems to stay cold so I am looking for a 200w inverter dedicated for the fridge. This will be for travel only.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    That is a good idea.  How different will the amp draw be by using an inverter?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    Wow, totally makes sense now why the “light” comes on before the thermocouple warms up enough to keep the gas flowing.  That always bothered me before, thanks for the insight!
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
    SAM said:
    That is a good idea.  How different will the amp draw be by using an inverter?

From what I can tell, a 200w  will draw 10 amps at full load and can boost to 400w. Since the ac side of the fridge has a thermostat it will fluctuate between load and no load. The 12v now draws 11-13 amps.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    So I ordered a 200w inverter, will use the 10gauge wire I ran for the 12v fridge so load will not be an issue. Could use the cig lighter plug but want a more permanent install. Will test next week.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    Installed the inverter under the sink and used the 10 gauge wires I ran for the 12v fridge. Ran them thru a battery disconnect switch to isolate the inverter when at a cg on 120v. Just have to move the plug from the 110v outlet to the inverter, turn everything on and drive away. Fridge runs on 110v and thermostat turns things on and off as needed. Best thing is the inverter draws less than the fridge on 12v does.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
    @RollingBnB how did your 3-way fridge 110 setup work? I tried it on my last trip, but my AGM batteries were not up to the job. I depleted them too low, too many times. But while they were working, it was keeping the fridge at 53 degrees with an outside temps over 100. Not meat worthy, but we have relegated the 3-way too a veggie and fruit crisper. Since all we use is almond milk, it's safe for that and our probiotics that need to be stored in a cool place. Oh yeah we kept eggs, salsa, tortillas and our non-dairy cheese. Any thing that needs to be kept 40 degrees, stays in the ARB in the tow vehicle, that stayed on the entire 14 days. 
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    @dsatwork So far it's worked great. TV keeps the battery fully charged and the frig stays @ 36-40 degrees. Heading out on a month long trip soon so it will get a real test.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Well, I got to say, I love your solution @RollingBnB. Way better!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @dsatwork So far it's worked great. TV keeps the battery fully charged and the frig stays @ 36-40 degrees. Heading out on a month long trip soon so it will get a real test.
    Please let me know how it goes
    dsatwork said:
    Please let me know how it goes
    Will do. It has worked fine for short (250 miles) trips, will see how it holds up on a 7,000 mile trip. My concern is how well made is the invertor. The frig thinks it's plugged into shore power so no issue there.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    edited August 2018
    This is not correct for all fridges. Mine (2014 Max S with Norcold 3 way) uses an actual light. How do I know? Mine failed and I replaced it with the factory part which is an electrical light. The only thing going to it was wires. No fiber optic cables.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
    After almost 30 days and 7k miles the inverter test worked great as long as I remember to turn on the lights in the tv. Ran the fridge on 120v while driving and it stayed at the set temp no matter what the weather was like. I’m happy with results.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Glad Alan found a very clever solution to his problem! Mine was slightly different. I was running the Norcold on 12v and my ARB 50 quart fridge from my Ford Expedtion will in transit. The 7 pin connector would not supply enough power to the Norcold. Result was depleted TAB batteries upon arrive at the campsite. Solution was to run an 8 gauge wire from the Ford battery to the TAB batteries on a separate line from the 7 pin connector. I now can run my Norcold AND ARB off the Ford battery while in transit without depleting the TAB batteries.  As an added bonus, The ARB runs off the TAB batteries via a separate line to then while at the campsite. VERY happy with results. Many thanks to my good friend and his Dad for sorting this all out.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
    I only have the one item to power but it is all the 7 pin can handle 
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az