Options

Grab handle ideas

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Not a mechanical engineer, but I do love a good blueprint!  :-)
    If I'm interpreting this correctly, it looks like @MuttonChops' v4 diagram was the winner. The wall looks like a self-supporting stress-skin type panel with aluminum "framing" at the edges and some thin backing plates incorporated at select locations.
    It's not clear if all the little numbered squares are additional reinforcements of the same or different material.
    Interesting that these are labelled as "exterior view" when they are clearly an interior perspective. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks @Bill@ndRox, for your follow up with Elsie & sharing the blueprints - a very pleasant [valley] surprise!  The EGS strips certainly explains the strength achieved for fastened hardware like handle, shelving, cabinets, etc, without aluminum framing.

As @MuttonChops pointed out, some details are still a bit sketchy as to the exact placement of the EGS reinforcement, with regard to under which surface of the wall they are located.  Agree that the vertical strip shown near the door would need to be under the outside surface for support of the stock handle; but the vertical wood shelf mounting shares roughly the same lateral alignment on the wall, just higher up, so that seems to suggest the EGS at the shelf height may be under the inner wall surface.  Maybe this particular drawing is just not that specific; while a cross-sectional view would be more accurate for our purposes, but then you'd need multiple drawings to show the many internal views of all the EGS mounting locations, so not practical.

@Bill@ndRox, where you said "There is an open space in the wall between #4 vertical and the door frame.", I assume you were explaining the apparent scale discrepancy in the drawing where the two vertical 3-inch wide EGS strips between door & window are shown nearly touching, but the total width of that part of the wall is shown as about 9 inches, which would seem to imply about a 3-inch space between them.

At least we now know how NüCamp achieved such apparent magical strength from a plastic wall without using framing inside.
    It does make me wonder whether it might be possible to insert your own strip of EGS, but you might have to remove a window or door and one would still need to get it past the framing around those, so no easy feat.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2019
    Well, I finally came up with an egress handle that seems to work.  I purchased an identical handle to the one mounted outside, opened up and took off the outside one, took out the screws (4), drilled holes right thru the wall (be careful as you will run into the edge of some aluminum framing). Placed (4) bolts 2” long into the holes and mounted the second handle opposite the outside one. The wall is between them and they’re attached to each other. Really tight and secure feeling.  I used a small nut for a washer for the top bolt so I could close the handle lid.  Now I exit by grabbing both the indoor and outdoor handles, one in each hand and step out, AND I DON'T HAVE TO GRAB THE SCREEN DOOR FRAME ANYMORE.  Thanks everyone for your great ideas.
  • Options
    melpetermelpeter Member Posts: 112
    After reading all your wonderful posts with photos and diagrams and amazing solutions I just drilled pilot holes into the Azdel. That stuff is very tough! I used Command tape and mounted right to the Azdel. I’m supposed to wait 24 hours for the tape to set before giving it a good tug, but I think it’s going to be quite strong. If not, I’ll just have some holes to fill. 
    2017 Tab 320 S
    2014 Mazda CX 5
    Traveling very light to be kind to my transmission.
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    edited June 2021
    We hated grabbing the screen door frame when exiting our T@B and had been thinking about different options, but couldn't decide what to do. The @William_Keever post motivated me to return to the problem. We thought very seriously about copying his location, but when testing different spots his just didn't feel like a natural place to grab while leaving the trailer to us. Ended up with this (below). Feels solid now, but time will tell.
    edit to mods:
    Thank you for moving this to a better spot ....
    Looks like I'm late to the party. Lots of good stuff here.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• Options
    YanniLazarusYanniLazarus Member Posts: 343
    So, my current project is to add an interior grab bar... I do really like the idea of mounting it on the side of the wood door frame as shown by anoldur. I'm thinking this grab bar shape might be easier to use.   Thoughts? Also wondering if blocking between the door frame and the adjacent upper shelf frame would make everything stronger. 
    Yanni Lazarus 2020 T@B320S, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, Central CT
  • Options
    Just figured out what I want to do.... use two black handrail brackets mounted on the side of the wood door frame,  with a 16" section of round wood handrail, mounted vertically and finished to match cabinetry.  Should be just the right projection for comfortable use.   Photos eventually,  I promise! 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Photos eventually,  I promise! 
    I'll be waiting. That idea sounds really good. Wish I saw it before I did mine. =)

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    edited June 2021
    @YanniLazarus ... Something to keep in mind with your proposed idea is that I found the door frame is not as secure as I would of liked. It's held in place with pocket holes. It has a good amount of strength, but the twisting force that these handles will apply could be a problem. The further away from the wall the handle is extended, the more torque will be applied. Chances are that your plan will work fine, but you may want to do a temporary set-up (maybe with c-clamps?) to test it out before committing.
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Ahhh, fellow innovation traveler,  I worry too.  I'm pretty sure I'll end up putting blocking between the door frame and the upper shelf side panel to reinforce everything by tyingit all together. 
  • Options
    It does seem to be my third or fourth design that works for me...  here's a mock up held in place with my hand.   General railing rule of thumb is to have 1-1/2" clearance for fingers.  That set this position.   The hand rail brackets put the rail too far away from the door jamb. Assembly and finishing to come. 
  • Options
    @YanniLazarus ... I like this better than mine because the handle is not around the back the way mine is. Should be easier to continue holding as you're stepping down. Curious, how are the flat pieces attached to the round? Long screws (or maybe shorter with counterbores) going length wise through and into the round? Again, I'd clamp that in place to see how much torque it places on the screen frame. Good concept!
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    Anoldur, I admire your work,  so that compliment means a lot.   After the photos I countersunk screws in the face of the handrail,  then glued dowels in the holes.   Will sand smooth.   I'll be going heavy on the poly/ stain finish to cover my sins - my dark cabinets hide blemishes better than the lighter ones.  And I'm still tinkering with the fit of the rectangular brackets.  My world: big ideas... few tools! 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    A little off topic, but still following the "Grab Handle Ideas" theme, I liked the exit handle enough that I bought the chrome version for the bath. At 6' tall and almost 68 years old, standing up to get off the john in my 320 was a challenge. Had to open the door and grab the wall just to pull up pants. :o
    Screws fastening the top of the handle were not a problem. There's wood behind the wall there that supports the television. At the bottom, the screw closest to the door frame hit what I believe is the aluminum wall support. The other two went into the foam and were worthless for anything but holding it into location. Probably not what most people would consider, but I J-B Welded both upper and lower backing plates to the wall in addition to the six screws. It's solid as a rock now, but if it does fail, it'll have to rip the wall apart before it comes off.
    This should have been my very first mod!
    Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    @AnOldUR Yep, I added a similar grab bar in that same bath location a couple of years ago. It really ought to come that way stock!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    This is going to reveal my master plan,  but what the h...  I love it when anoldur (or anyone else)  does a mod and I can take advantage of their work to push my version a little bit forward.   If that shower bar was horizontal would it catch the blocking behind at both ends? 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    @YanniLazarus ... Improving on an existing ideas is what make the sharing of information here so valuable. Most of the mods done (including mine) are based on seeds planted by others. They get better with each new revision.
    As for mounting the grab bar horizontally, there's a thread here somewhere where that was done. There's a long vertical void on the outside of the wall where the plumbing runs. I would think that success would depend on the length of the grip and if you plan to reinforce that location.

Stockton, New Jersey

• Options
    This is going to reveal my master plan,  but what the h...  I love it when anoldur (or anyone else)  does a mod and I can take advantage of their work to push my version a little bit forward.   If that shower bar was horizontal would it catch the blocking behind at both ends? 
    Remove the TV & mount from the other side of the wall (it’s wood framed, but hollow). You’ll be able to see exactly where the extra plywood for that mount is, which will make it way easier to tell if you have enough support for a horizontal install. And if not, you may be able to add some additional wood in there.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I put extra wood backing on one side and mounted this. It has a tray to hold soap or whatever. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Nice, where do you have a link for the bar/rack bit?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16 I saw this somewhere on this forum but now can't find where I bought it from, Sorry I am getting old I guess! Art
  • Options
    @Denny16 I think Lowes carries it, or one very similar.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks @gulfarea and @VictoriaP, will have to check them out next time I go to the city.
    cheers
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    Thanks @gulfarea and @VictoriaP, will have to check them out next time I go to the city.
    cheers
    Found it… https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Home-Care-Brushed-Nickel-Wall-Mount-Grab-Bar/3344808

In my admittedly very urban area, every Lowes has between 4 and 6 in stock, so hopefully your closest one will have it too.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks Victoria, gave a grand weekend.
    cheers
  • Options
    @VictoriaP Yes that is it! As I am in my 70ies I could not remember where I got it. Also I put a wire tie in the center to stop the plastic tray from falling down. Thanks Art
  • Options
    Thanks again Art for posting this shower mod.  There are a lot of older campers here, that might find this useful, including me!  =)
    cheers
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I remembered it from a while back because I wanted to do it—it’s another mod I’d REALLY like to see as stock, not just for those of us with perhaps limited mobility, but because there’s zero storage in the 320 bath! Unfortunately I don’t have the skill set to add additional support to that wall, so I settled for the single grab bar by the door, which is still extremely helpful and I could do it on my own with minimal tools or ability. 😁
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    abeabe Member Posts: 1
    I know this discussion is old… but I wanted to add to it. 
    We just put in a strong vertical tension bar between the floor and ceiling snug against the door frame and wrapped it with rope. The forces exerted on it are more horizontal as one exits and the pressure gets transferred to the door frame without putting the stress on the frame itself. 
    We had to relocate the fire extinguisher, but it works very well as a stable point for exiting

2016 Jeep Cherokee / 2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge