Options

TAB 400 Jack and Jacking Points

falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
I have seen the nuCamp video about changing tires using the stabilizers and the tongue jack to raise the tire on a 320.  I think though that nuCamp has repudiated this measure for the 320 and even then I have seen nothing about changing tires on a 400.  Does anyone know of a "school-approved" method for raising a tire to change it?  Does anyone know if there are strengthened jacking points on a TAB 400?  It appears that the points where the axle is attached to the frame might be strong enough for a jack.  Are there any other points on the frame strong enough for a jack or jackstand?

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    The frame that is part of the axle is the point that I use.  Have removed both wheels several times and it seems strong enough.  I used a scissor jack once behind that point behind the wheel.  As the T@B raised, it tilted inward an slid off the jack.  not a good thing, no damage done though. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @atlasb Are you saying the jack slid or the frame distorted?  Or the whole TAB moved sideways?  What style of jack are you using now?

• Options
    vhollowvhollow Member Posts: 71
    If you scroll down in this thread: 

Tire Jack...In Order To Hit The Road...Jack!!!!

there is a good picture of the 400 lift point recommended by NuCamp. I have used it without problems (putting the stabilizers down on the lifted side, and adding a jack stand along with the floor jack I used, for safety). Sorry if his comment shows up twice....
  • Options
    The jack that was an issue was a common scissor jack for most auto's.  As the T@B raised up it tilted to the side and slid off the top of the jack.  It punctured a hole in the plastic belly pan but and the jack distorted to the point that it is junk.  I use a 3 ton low profile floor jack now and always have the stabs down in position once I have reached the final jack point.  Also slide a jack stand under for added safety.  only have one tire off at a time.  I found early on, if you try to use the stabs to level the 400, you can distort the cabin enough to give issue opening and closing the door.  The stabs are only for the purpose of stabilizing the trailer so it doesn't rock when in use.  Was interested in aftermarket jacks but could not find a solution that would work with the BAL frame.  The frame is designed to be light and provide support but can be torqued or twisted easily. 
  • Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    Atlasb.   Seems you have experience with changing a TAB400 tire.   Can you give advice on what you carry to make a field tire change as a low profile floor jack won’t be available on a trail?  
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    I used to carry the above mentioned scissor jack. Since I had the issue with it and it is no longer around,  I can always use the Jack that comes with the tow vehicle.  Most tv's still have a jack but in the interest of lighter weight a lot of auto mfg's have not only deleted the spare tire but the jack also.  Most auto part stores and even WalMart carry jacks.  Just be careful to make sure the jack is properly placed under the axle frame where it meets the trailer frame and not directly under the axle.  Watch as you jack up to make sure it is following the frame up and not creeping off the jack.  I always run the stabs down but not to the point of contact until I have the wheel off the ground.  Also, make sure to loosen the lug nuts before raising the tire.  Once I have the tire clear of the ground, I then run the stabs down to make contact with the ground.  When changing away from my garage, I keep the T@B attached to the TV.
  • Options
    After dropping the coroplast belly pan, I was able to take a photo that was perpendicular to the tire and showing the complete jacking point.  Problem remains the same although now I know we can use a bottle jack U adapter and though it would puncture the Coroplast, it shouldn't damage anything above the belly pan.

THe SafeJack would have to be placed so that it wasn't under the axle housing in case the trailer shifted and it came in contact with the Safejack upper arm but that should be easy to come-up with a sticker to mark that spot off with.   Anyone have experience using this Safejack product?

Would still prefer a factory adapter suited to this exact size and placement that would go on top of a scissor or if not that, a bottle jack but until then .....

• Options
    The problem I am running into is that the jacks I have found (bottle jacks or scissor jacks) don't have enough lift to get an inflated 205mm tire off of the ground.  It would be worse with the boondock 235mm tire.
    This SafeJack cradle looks interesting though.  I assume you straddle the bracket transversely?  I am considering trying to fab something similar that would parallel the axle bracket and turn up under and around the axle and between the frame cutouts without touching the axle.  It should also have a lip on the outside to keep the whole thing in position.  However, none of that addresses keeping this adapter steady on a scissor jack lifting pad.  Maybe some "ears" down around the jack pad?
    Still need to figure out the total amount of lift issue though.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I have found an elegant solution to the TAB 400 jacking problem.  At least, my problem, it may not work for many (or any) others.  Turns out the jack that came with my 2011 F-250 has a 17" total extension height.  More than enough to get even a Boondock tire off the ground. In addition, the saddle on the top fits the axle bracket perfectly and swivels to align.  If you aren't towing with an F-250 you can probably find one of these in a junkyard for not much money.  I'll bet the jack design hasn't changed much over the years so any fairly recent F-250 (or maybe even an F-150) jack will probably work.  Don't forget to get the handles as well.

• Options
    @falcon1970 Great Post!  This looks like an ideal & elegant solution and only around 12-pounds.   While it still has the small bottle jack base, there are solutions for that as well.   In case anyone is looking to get this set-up, it took a bit to sort but you'll need both the 2-ton jack and the handle which they call a tool kit.  Plenty of options including EBAY for used ones.   I'll probably just carry an 8x8 metal plate so the jack can sit on a solid surface when off pavement.

Two-Ton Ford Jack Assembly Part #7C3Z-17080-AE
    Jack Tool Kit (Handle) #HC3Z-17005-H  which replaces 8C3Z-17005-H
  • Options
    @Awca12a. I like the idea of an 8"x8" plate for a base.  Maybe even a couple of wedge shaped metal shims under that in case the ground isn't entirely level.  I vaguely remember such shims being used in the old days for wheel alignment.  I'll have to look around a little.
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    With such a limited area for jacking where are we supposed to place jackstands?
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @BigGrover  No problem when in the shop.  That L bracket is 9” long
  • Options
    Updated the procedures.  Feedback is always welcome!
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    BigGrover said:
    With such a limited area for jacking where are we supposed to place jackstands?
    I would simply lower the stabilizers as safety and leave the bottle jack in place.  With the trailer still attached to tye TV, nothing will move.  Since the nuts will already be cracked, you should not have to use force at all, noting that will induce movement to tye trailer.  Those jacks are made to handle a lot of weight, specially the ones for full size pick-up truck.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    If you look at the PDF write up, you can see where I placed mine.  
  • Options
    This is sort of an off topic question but directly relates to jacking.  I use the BAL leveler and sometimes I need just a little bit of help toward the end to get the camper level. I was wondering if I could slip a bottle jack on the jacking point to get jyst a bit of a boost when the cranking gets to heavy for me? 
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't see why not, the jack is on a solid lift point. I wouldn't lift off the ground, those jack points and a bottle jack aren't very stable, I bought a floor jack to use due to experiencing the tab falling off the bottle jack. Tire was still on, no damage, but an eye opener!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @N7SHG_Ham I agree that a bottle jack was very sketchy. I got this one on Amazon. Its kind of a two in one. I am still very careful though.

2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    @JeffroNC that jack has enough lift capacity to get your tire off the ground?  I like the design of that a lot better than my bottle jack with the tiny little circle top.
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @TNOutback it's rated for 3 tons so I don't think one wheel of the 400 is too much  I have tried it and it worked. As it usually goes, I carried it for 9500 miles but didn't need it.  =)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    bellimagesbellimages Member Posts: 28
    JeffroNC said:
    @TNOutback it's rated for 3 tons so I don't think one wheel of the 400 is too much  I have tried it and it worked. As it usually goes, I carried it for 9500 miles but didn't need it.  =)
    Honestly I never thought about the need for a special jack. Had I needed to replace a tire while boon docking, I might have been screwed. Anyway, I like the look of this jack, and it's operation. I'm thinking about getting one ordered. Unfortunately it will be just one more thing that I'll need to pack along. UGH
    2018 Tab 400
    Nissan Frontier PRO-4X (4.6 liter automatic)
    Roof mounted solar panels
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    I just got the jack mentioned by @JeffroNC above and it looks quite sturdy. I have a  400 BDL 2019 and noted that the clearance under the jack point demonstrated is only about 1 inch, So I wonder if this jack would fit under a standard TAB 400? Also I am trying to see how to fit it and get easy access to the lever operating the jack. Right now it seems that that placing the jack point on the cradle makes you reach under the trailer to operate the jack as the cradle does not rotate.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @qhumberd
    You could roll the 400 up on a leveling block/piece of wood to gain additional clearance if needed.
    My jack arrives tomorrow...thought it would be good to have some safe way to lift either my truck or trailer if needed on the road. The more self sufficient we can be, the better.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    qhumberd said:
    I just got the jack mentioned by @JeffroNC above and it looks quite sturdy. I have a  400 BDL 2019 and noted that the clearance under the jack point demonstrated is only about 1 inch, So I wonder if this jack would fit under a standard TAB 400?...
    There will be even less clearance with a flat tire, so you'll likely need to roll onto something with a BDL also.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited June 2020
    @JeffroNC I purchased the jack you reference, and I’ve discovered two problems:  the saddle on the stand is turned the wrong way for the jack point, and it’s too tall to fit under the frame!  I jacked the tongue up as far as it will go on my BDL, and still cannot get it under the frame, and that’s with a fully inflated tire!  It is a heck-of-a jack though!
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Could you possibly drive the rig up onto your leveling blocks enough to get the clearance you need to get the jack under the frame? 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    That is not going to work with a flat tire. 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Would the issue be damage to the wheel or that it still wouldn't give you the room you need? 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    My rig is in storage so I can't get to it. What's the height from the ground to the jack point on a 2020 T@B 400 Standard? I have a 3-ton jack in the Tahoe but suspect it's too tall...especially with a flat. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com