Options

T@B 400 (2019) Rear A/C Vent Blowing Directly in my Face (Solved)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834

My problem is the round a/c vent in the back bed area is so low down it blows directly on my head and face. Its unbearable. I've resorted to blocking the vent with a pillow but that's not working very well. I've also tried turning it every possible way and it simply blows on my head from a different angle after bouncing down off the sloped ceiling. It's a problem even with the vent fan on low. It still blows very hard.  I realize the large fridge is the reason the vent is so low.  I was also trying to find a vent where the lovers can be partially closed but I haven't found anything yet that looks like it will work and/or fit.

Is this bothering anyone else? Have you come up with a solution?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    We haven't had an issue, BUT then I read you have large fridge and if that moves the vent closer to bed that might be it? It seems to me there was a single compromise with small fridge, size. With big fridge there was a ton of things changed, add the AC vent to the list
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Yep, looks like it.  I'm going to take a better look this weekend to see if its possible to switch the a/c vent with the speaker which is up high. I would probably have to add a piece of the vent pipe for it to reach but that's easy. Just not sure how to get at everything without a major dismantling of the fridge and wall.  It seems to make alot more sense to me to have the speaker at head level than the vent.  My dealer has posed the question to NuCamp to see if they have any suggestions. Maybe we will hear back tomorrow.  I love my big fridge though.  
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I have the same vent and have thought about a fix.  You might try rigging up a deflector to redirect the air.  It could be made out of some sort of plastic and shaped to fit. 
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Thanks grubbster....I think that will work. I did buy one at Lowes but it didnt fit right.  Whatever I find out it figure out I will post back here.  
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I think this might work. I just ordered it on Amazon.  I didn't post the link because I think we are not supposed to post links in the forum.
    Valterra 1221.1409 A10-3351VP Rotating/Dampered Heating and A/C Register-4" ID x 5-3/8" OD, Light Brown
    Sorry about the big font, it won't let me fix it!

• Options
    greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    Another possibility might be turning around so your feet are by the a/c vent. 
  • Options
    Yes, that's likely going to be the fix for this.  It's just going to be annoying an another way though with the light controls and the cubby at the other end.  

The vent I ordered did not work. It fit, it looked good, and it closed but it left an opening around the outer edges and allowed almost as much air to pass through as with it open, and it whistled when fully closed.  I may just try some tape over part of the vent. It that fails then I will sleep at the other end.  It seems like such an obvious design flaw to me.  I can't imagine anyone can really stand to have that much air blowing on their head and face when sleeping.  

I'm still waiting for NuCamp to respond through my dealer to find out if there are any other potential areas where the duct could be re-routed.  Would be a major task though to move it and have to cut a new hole.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    This is still a major issue for me. Has anyone tried relocating that vent to blow out in another location? Im going to open up the panel below my fridge to see if it might be accessible to reroute the vent to come out a new location closer to the floor below the fridge and large drawer. Nucamp never got back to my dealer on this last year and I didnt want to really ask again. 
  • Options
    ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    I’m sure our experience might not be real helpful, but I love the vent in the back, as I need to feel air moving or I get sweaty.  However, my wife doesn’t, and like you, hates air blowing on her.  She sleeps closest to the vent, and we find there is one angle we can turn the vent to blow that goes over her head and then comes down on mine.  So we are lucky, I guess.

It seems you ought to be able to remove the vent and place a piece of tin foil inside and remount. I would think that might completely block the air flow if done correctly.  I know that is more of a ‘permanent’ fix and you might wish you had the air back there in the daytime, but it might solve your evening woes. If temps aren’t too high I’m guessing you could compensate with a slightly lower thermostat setting at night to allow the other 2 vents to handle the cooling load for the entire trailer.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Funny thing...I get sweaty too and keep the temp on 73 just to stay cool enough and it feels great EXCEPT it freezes my face off! Haha and I just dont like the feel of the air blowing directly in my face....but love it from the neck down! I'm not high maintenance at all am I!  I will think about your suggestions!  I would be fine if there was an actual low setting. Low is still super strong!
  • Options
    ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    I might be confused, but can't you torn the air vent so that it faces another direction when it is open?  I have turned all of my vents so they direct air where i want them to.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    and Also, on the TaB400, moving your head to the opposite end, is not not really going work, as there is a shelf ext from the galley in the way.  Also, the built in “headboard” is on the drivers side.  Blocking or relocating the AC air vent in the bunk area is the best solution.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Like @ecstatic I'm confused. 

Can you not adjust the air veins on the vents to redirect the flow? I've rotated all three of mine so they direct the air upwards. 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    edited August 2020
    No matter where I direct the adjustable vent it either blows directly on my face, or with it pointed up, it hits the ceiling and reflects back down on my face. Even on the low fan setting it blows very hard. I know if I tried to sleep at the other end, I will bang my head on the counter ledge that runs above the bed on that side.  I think the perfect set up would be if I can relocate the vent to below the fridge or below the bed so it comes out low....and then I will probably complain about being too hot! Hahaha
  • Options
    85Redwood85Redwood Member Posts: 52
    YES!  We faced the same issue with the low AC vent in the bed area.  I posted on it here: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/11262/2021-tab-400-with-3-way-fridge-bed-ac-vent-at-head-level-icebox-mod-time 

I opted to install a 4" duct damper behind the drawer below the fridge.  The damper probably cuts up to ¾ of the air flow making sleeping less of an icebox experience.  A link to the damper at Home Depot is in my post above.
    2021 T@B 400: boondock, 3-way fridge, microwave, solar
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 L
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will definitely check out that post. I thought I was the only one who had an issue with that.  Dont get me wrong, I like to sleep very cool but not in a wind tunnel! I even stacked two pillow shams against it and it STILL found a way around to blow in my face. I've been hating this for a year and a half!  I also had the short cycling issue and figured out to point front vents down as much as I could. It still short cycles but not as bad.

Did you get the powered damper?  And, does it whistle loud when its closed? I bought a replacement plastic vent that had a built in damper but it whistled so loud I couldnt use it. 
  • Options
    Hey @TabbyShack ... I didn't get the powered damper (yet)...that'd be about $150 all told.  We haven't slept in the 400 since making this mod but we have laid in the bed and the air flow is nicely reduced.  The damper is a smaller diameter than the the metal duct it's in so air can still get by....enough air that there is no whistling....even if there was a little whistling it would be a couple of feet away behind the wall.  The drawer comes out easy enough so that if its a hot day and you want max cooling then you can reach in and fully open the damper and repeat the process at bedtime to close the damper.  Installing the damper was fairly easy...cut the flex duct behind the drawer (use wire cutters for the metal wire), roll-in insulation on each side, insert damper, zip-tie plastic ducts to damper housing, roll insulation over metal housing to prevent condensation.  If I decide to keep this cheaper option I'll tape up the insulation leaving just the duct handle exposed (oh yeah...I put a plastic washer between the duct handle and the duct to act as a bit of a thermal break).

I'd love to know how you address this...I guess we all have our crosses to bear...the Air8 folks complain of not enough cooling and the the CoolCat folks complain of too much!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thanks so much for the pics! That is a HUGE help!!!  Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I feel so bad for the Air8 people!!!! I know I'm lucky to have an over cooling problem!!!!  I understand now how you've got it set up. This looks definitely dooable! I just got through replacing all the white plastic service covers on the TAB with new black plastic ones, so this looks like a task I can tackle!  I will update this post once I get this done. I had considered looking into a smaller less powerful A/C, but then you don't know what you'll get...then you may have an too hot problem!....which is much worse.  

I'm wondering though if that extra air pressure now coming out the front vents isn't going to make the thermostat be even more wonky? 
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    You know you can always put your pillow against the outlet and block it off.
  • Options
    85Redwood,

I just took the panel off below the fridge and the drawer to see what's behind there, and I'm thinking about putting in a splitter and splitting off to another duct to come out that front panel close to the floor.  I would have to make a new 4" hole on the front there, but that shouldn't be a problem.  I'm thinking then, it would cut back on the air flow in my face, but not push that additional air to the front.  Then I would have two vents in the back area.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Actually, when I went on the website to order another vent cover, I see they sell one with a built in damper. I tried another style/brand and that one whistled when closed, but before I go to all the effort to modify the existing duct work, I'm going to order this replacement vent damper and give it a try.  This is the exact same brand that is currently in my T@B.  Its made by B&B Molders. You can buy it at RVLOCKSANDMORE SKU #:BBT-94269.  If it doesn't help, or whistles, I can then use it to make my new vent opening in that panel. 

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited August 2020
    Another option is to relocate the bed AC vent to come out on the top right side of the drawer unit under the fridge, or out through the wardrobe.  On the drawer, you would loose some storage, but the easiest is to make the drawer narrower at the top with a notch cutout, to the drawer front for the vent, allowing the drawer to open, and be flush with the vent when closed.  The rail is towards the bottom, so it would not need to be changed.  Just shorten the right drawer top, and add a divider inside the drawer.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @TabbyShack keep us posted regarding how that new tan vent with damper performs.  Thanks!  Here's the link: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/B-B-Molders/Grills-Vents-Registers/Heat-Vent-4-Connection-w-Damper-Tan

Maybe this black one also with a damper is an option too: http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/B-B-Molders/Grills-Vents-Registers/CP-TVD-BLK_2
  • Options
    I saw the other one, but the B &B Molders one is the exact same one that is currently in the camper. I thought we were not allowed to post links? Maybe that is a different forum.  
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @TabbyShack, you can post links as long as it is not to an external site to help sell you T@B or equipment. No links to a sales site that you profit personally from. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Oh great to know! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Just installed the vent with the damper. I havent tried it out yet with the AC on since I'm at home and tropical storm passing over, but here is a photo of what it looks like. It also closes all the way if you prefer. 
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 393
    @TabbyShack - I like the look of those. Do they rotate for air direction 360° and then rotate backwards to close? 
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2021 Lexus GX 460, Kansas City MO
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @TabbyShack. I see your fix is a variable close outlet. Which i assume you would close while sleeping. Why is that different to covering it when sleeping? In my tab, i store the dinette bed pad upright under the bed lamps. This moves me slightly foreward. My pillow typically is either over that outlet or close enough to block it from directly blowing on me. Just curious.