License plate light wiring on TaB 400

johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
OK....adding a rear view camera on the back of my Tab 400 by removing the bottom screws on the large plastic trim and tapping into the existing license plate light wiring.  But unfortunately I don't have power to the light nor camera. I believe that I pulled too hard on the existing wiring either causing a break in the wiring or causing an existing connection to come loose.  I have not starting tracking down the wiring yet. Does the wiring enter back into the Tab via the under bed storage area?  If it does not where should I start looking.  Currently, there is a factory green and white wire running to the license plate light.

Thanks

Johnny

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't know for sure, but I would guess all the light wiring runs along the frame someplace to the front. Removing the plastic cardboard to expose that area is where I would guess what you need to do to expose wiring? That may be totally wrong and it is internal someplace. Can you trace back from the seven way pigtail and see where the front end disappears to?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    did you turn on your running lights?  the license plate light is not on all the time.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
    @Cbusguy

Yes, I did.  That is why I think I damaged in some form or fashion.

• johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 19
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I don't know for sure, but I would guess all the light wiring runs along the frame someplace to the front. Removing the plastic cardboard to expose that area is where I would guess what you need to do to expose wiring? That may be totally wrong and it is internal someplace. Can you trace back from the seven way pigtail and see where the front end disappears to?
    @N7SHG_Ham

I guess I will crawl under the tab this weekend and check it out.  Thanks for the idea.

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    On my 2019 TAB400 the umbilical cord runs along the left (looking towards the TV) side of the A-frame to a junction box located in front of the cross member.  From there various wires run from the junction box (inside a wire loom) to a spot under the AC box and then up through the floor into the box.  From there they run under the shower floor pan (no longer in a wire loom) to the space under the closet, then through a cutout into the Alde area, and all the way to the back end of the driver's side of the trailer.  Wires that power the taillights on the passenger side run along the space where the Alde convector sits behind (and below) the bed.  The license plate lights are also there.
    Remove the cover (about 6 screws) over the very rear of the bed and all the wiring is exposed.  There is a compartmented arrangement of plywood that I think provides support for the rear of the bed.  The wires will be hidden by that but you can gently pull the wires up to see the entire run.  It will be pretty obvious which wires power the license plate lights.  I'm betting one of the crimp connectors wasn't correctly crimped and didn't actually grab enough of the wire to hold when you pulled on it.  Correctly sized wire nuts will provide a better electrical connection and several tight wraps of electrical tape around the wire below the "bell mouth" of the wire nut will provide protection against someone pulling too hard next time.
    On my TAB there was plenty of slack in the wire runs.
    Oh, by the way, you will have to unscrew the hinges that allow the center section of the bed to raise and lower.  Disconnect the gas spring arms before you unscrew the hinges!  That will keep the spring arms from driving the bed platform forward and wacking you across the thighs.  It will also make it easier to flange everything back up later on.
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Another bad crimp.......seems to be a theme here
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Cbusguy said:
    Another bad crimp.......seems to be a theme here
    I am not impressed with the wiring, no manufacturer should be using butt splices and scotch locks as oem wiring connectors in the quantity NuCamp does, very disturbing for long term electrical reliabllbility.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite