Hitch height on Subaru

zorrozorro Member Posts: 7
I'm trying to find out how much the rear end of a Subaru outback drops when hooking up a older (2012) T@B trailer without bath or carrying water. I would like to hear from a Subaru owner. I need to choose the right hitch height rise.

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I can’t help with the Outback drop but I do have an adjustable drop hitch that I’d be happy to sell inexpensively plus shipping. Lowest setting is 8 3/4”. I needed a 10” drop for our new Ascent. Just let me know if you (or anyone else) is interested in it. It has never been used.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • SneakleSneakle Member Posts: 131
    We have a 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6 as one of our tow vehicles for our 2018 Tab 320s. I can't be specific because I'm not with the car and hitch at the moment. But I will say that it sets down pretty low and our ball has a small amount of drop. It hits the pavement at the entrance to steeper driveways. I would think no drop at all, or a slight rise would be preferable to what we have. Of course it's a mistake to over compensate too much and have your trailer tongue higher than level. Sorry for not having a specific answer but chime in because we have the same tv. Maybe you could buy a couple of balls, level your trailer and try them out; returning the unused.
    Tab 320s Boondock
    TV: Toyota 4Runner
  • JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
    On our 2009 Outback with a pair of Sumo spring inserts installed, it drops 1/2 to 1 inch depending on the load.

Personally, I would level the trailer and then measure its height off the ground. Then get the appropriate rise or drop for the car factoring in a 1" sag on the car.

I actually use a 2" rise at the present, but will probably go to a 3/4" rise next spring as that will help level the trailer since the front rides a bit high now. 
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab