Options

Picking a Hitch Lock in a couple seconds

2»

Comments

• Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    I use to work in a bike shop that sold Abus locks, very good German made locks. I talked to the rep on a visit and he basically said there is no such thing as a non picklable lock, given enough time any lock can be picked. They have ratings that go up to 20 on their locks, the higher the number to long it takes to pick it. If it takes more than a few minutes to break in thieves will be deterred unless of course they are in a place where they know nobody will bother them.  
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    jrhamel said:
    I use to work in a bike shop that sold Abus locks, very good German made locks. I talked to the rep on a visit and he basically said there is no such thing as a non picklable lock, given enough time any lock can be picked. They have ratings that go up to 20 on their locks, the higher the number to long it takes to pick it. If it takes more than a few minutes to break in thieves will be deterred unless of course they are in a place where they know nobody will bother them.  
    Really good point.

I think that is the whole goal of the locks.  Nobody will prevent a determined thief with enough time from accomplishing their mission.  Our hope is to deter them if possible.  

I did buy a Proven Industries lock.  I hope it will deter thieves, but the reality is nothing is "bullet proof."
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I wasn't referring to picking the Proven Industries lock although I have watched that video too.
    I mean the video that shows drilling the lock and popping it open in 30 seconds. No special skills required for that. :bawling:
    Is this only a problem with some puck lock models or all of them?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmLf-Wsr0o
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 987
    As inferred to in one of the above posts, time is the enemy of thieves in most instances.  The longer it takes to cut or drill out a lock the more likely they will move on or not attempt it.  Not too many thieves actually pick locks, they drill them out or cut them.   I am currently using what I had from my last trailer.  A trimax hitch lock, coupler lock and a trimax wheel lock on each wheel.  If I leave it parked for a long time behind my house I will even add some grade 8 chain with a strong padlock tucked up under the trailer.  They are not the best locks and I may upgrade in the future.  However there are a minimum of 4 locks on the trailer so I think that helps in the time to steal department.  A determined thief can defeat any security if they are really committed.  I just hope I can make the other 99% move on to the next one and that 1% never comes across my trailer. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado