Options

Kia Telluride or Hyundai Palisade?

1991sb1991sb Member Posts: 27
We’re planning to buy a new TV soon.  The Toyota Highlander is high on our list, but we’re also curious about the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade (both highly rated by Consumer Reports).   Anyone have have experience with either of these vehicles?  

Many thanks!
Bill & Sharon
New Mexico
2021 T@B 320s (“T@Bañita”)
2023 T@B 400 Boondock (“Redwing”)
2020 Subaru Ascent (“Bubbles”)

Comments

• Options
    Sean_DebSean_Deb Member Posts: 9
    I can offer no personal insights, but I really like the looks and layout. Options etc. Of the Telluride, if I were planning to buy a new vehicle this would likely be it. 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited July 2020
    No experience here, but from all the reviews I've seen so far, the Telluride sounds really great in so many ways.  One standout item is the self-leveling suspension for towing.  In many ways it seems to beat both the Highlander & the Subaru Ascent.
    Here's one comparison..
    https://allcarvideos.net/2020/02/12/kia-telluride-vs-subaru-ascent-2020-suv-comparison-test/
    Highlander has been at the top of our list too, but probably not anymore.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    nmdreamnmdream Member Posts: 27
    Cannot assist on the drive train choices but I was absolutely taken back by the long term drive train warranty and the safety feature in Hyundai's SUV models. Cost per feature of comfort was not even close compared to Toyota.  It actually surprised me how much the lead was.
     I love Toyota and it was my first choice until we did the features comparison.  Hard to go wrong with a Toyota. We have had success with both brands.
    Either way it was a tough choice but I feel really good about the one we made for us. 
    Hope you can take your time in deciding.  Lots of research and Good Luck
    2020 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate 181 HP w/Hayden 678 Rapid Cool
    2019 T@B 320 S 

• Options
    badnutsbadnuts Member Posts: 9
    We pull our t@b 400 with a 2020 Palisade.  It pulls so nicely that I barely know I am pulling anything at all.  The backup camera that comes standard on the Palisade allows me to see the hitch while backing up which means that I can do it easily by myself.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2020 Hyundai Palisade, Duluth Minnesota
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I'd give up a lot of little niceties for a vehicle that can be more capable off road.  Subaru's 4WD system has always been a step ahead of the toyota/honda SUV drives.  Not sure how the Telluride stacks up there.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    josephstoryjosephstory Member Posts: 4
    This Palisade/Telluride TV thread may be a little stale, but I am commenting since our TV is a 2020 Kia Telluride S with AWD, (5000 /500 lb towing capacity/tongue weight limit) and we just purchased a 2021 T@B 400 BD-having traded in our 2021 T@B 320s BD.  As expected, towing the 320 was very comfortable with the Teluride, well within its capacity.  Much browsing in this forum left me questioning the wisdom of attempting to tow the 400 with a Telluride.  And, the question about whether an A-frame trailer (or the Tellluride) could handle the stress of a weight distribution hitch has been vexing as well.

Well, we have been able to tow the 400 BD well with the Telluride, using a 4500# weight rated Fastway E2 weight distribution hitch to increase our comfort and confidence in towing the 400.  But, without the weight distribution hitch engaged, our Telluride rode low in the rear while towing the 400.  And,  the lightened front axle felt a little light in steering, although still relying primarily on drive from the front wheels.  I am not experienced towing trailers, but wasn’t keen to gain more  towing experience under these circumstances.   I never felt I was about to lose control and experienced no trailer sway, but never felt comfortable with a towing combination I felt was not properly balanced.  I never drove faster than 55 mph with this TV/tow combination.

For us, the weight distribution hitch was the answer.  It’s not just a matter of feel.  Distance from the wheelwell fender above the wheel hub to the ground when the Telluride is unloaded is 32”.  When the Telluride and 400 are loaded for camping, hitched up, and the weight distribution hitch is engaged, the Telluride sits 1 inch lower at the rear measuring point.  Add one passenger, and the difference is 1/2”.  Add the driver, and I think both measurements would have been 31”.

When measured on a CAT scale, the tongue weight was 420#, with the front tub loaded with 1 propane bottle,60% full, and one set of Anderson levelers, 5 stabilizer pads, the black/grey water discharge hose, a slinky, and a black water garden hose and connectors, plus various gloves and sanitizing wipes. I also added a Husky 3000 lb electric jack to the tongue, which weighs ~24 lbs more than the standard manual BAL trailer jack.

All three axles were well within published weight limits-the drive axle weight measured was only 60 lbs heavier than the steering axle measurement, and the trailer axle weight was 680 lbs below the 3900#  gross weight/trailer axle weight limit.  

I now keep my speed below 65 mph, but using the weight distribution hitch am far more comfortable with the handling and responsiveness of the tow at this speed than I was driving 10 mph slower without the weight distribution hitch engaged.  

So far so good towing the T@B 400 with the Telluride in the hills of North Georgia, and the Pine Belt of South Mississippi.  I’ll revert if anything changes, but am confortable towing the 400 with a Telluride, assisted by the weight distribution hitch.
  • Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 21
    Test drove Tel and Pal last Fall.  Liked them a lot, but at the time there were so few available on dealer's lots that they insisted on sticker price AND an additional charge of 2 to 3 thousand just because they thought they could get it.  I liked the car, and could have paid the price they were asking, but refused to enable that pricing model.  Bought a Highlander instead.  How is pricing a year later?