Options

Considering Isabella TAB 400 Sun Canopy

Greetings! Searching for a sun canopy for our 2021 T@B 400 Boondock aka Boony. The Isabella canopy is costly, over $800 but we watch a video and it looks super solid, many more "bones" than some of the others. Anyone have any experience with this one? Many thanks for all comments.
2021 T@B 400 Boondock "Boony"
Towed by 2023 Ford F-150 "Frida"
New River, AZ

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2021
    I have told the story many times of üCamp19 in SugarCreek, Ohio about how I helped a new owner by installing their new Isabella awning. It was on the west side of their new 400. 50+ mph straight line winds came through the campground. My visor was damaged as was lots of other PahaQue awnings, tents and visors that were on the west side of the T@B’s. The Isabella stayed in place, and needed no adjustment after the winds. That sold me. 

I have an Isabella Awning for my new T@B 320 Boondock. I plan to use it a lot this summer.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    @mbeckerpasha
    I have one for my 2021 T@B 400. It is a quality piece.
    Setup isn't hard, but it takes a good 15 mins I'd say. You also need a tall reach, or a short step stool to affix the support strut that is at the high point  of the T@B's roof. I can do it from the entrance step, but it is a stretch (I'm 6' tall). I do install it by myself without problem, but it is a lot easier with two people, as there is a lot of loose canvas until you get various poles in place. I've been afraid to leave it up in strong winds, but short of that, it is rock solid, and tied down properly, I have no doubt that @Verna is correct about its sturdiness.
    I don't think there is anything on the market that approaches the overall design and quality. 
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    We have the Isabella on our T@B 400.  The price did give me pause, but after using it several times now, we are very happy with our purchase.  Everything about it exudes quality, much like the T@B itself, with the heavy sail canvas and all-aluminum structure.  The Danish pictograph instructions for it was a bit of a head scratcher the first time we set it up, but now it is a methodical, easy process.  I can set it up by myself quite easily in 10-15 minutes, but it does go faster with two people.  With the T@B Boondock, the height in the peak of the awning is too tall for me to reach from the ground, so I use our small Yeti cooler as a step stool to reach the higher spots where you install the cross arms.  With the six cross arms in place, you can get the fabric very taut; no flapping in the breeze.  The kit comes with tie downs if necessary.  The awning frame also has adjustable feet to allow for uneven terrain or give you options to vary the pitch.

I like how the sides are not so low as to block your view out the front and back, and is high enough to walk under if needed.  We’ve used the awning several times, and have received several compliments on it. The only downsides for me is that the clips on the ends of the cross braces can be hard to snap onto and remove from the aluminum end frame.  They are held in place by friction, but that is what makes it so solid I suppose.  The awning in the bag is pretty big and bulky, and we store it on the floor underneath the dinette table while traveling.  We are very happy with the awning, and do not hesitate to recommend it.
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 617
    edited April 2021
    Has anybody tried sealing the stitching seams on the Isabella to make it waterproof, or at least water resistant?  It looks like a great design, but here in the PNW, we need a rain shelter.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sorry, @Horigan, due to family responsibilities, I have not even removed mine from the bag. But, should I find the seams are not waterproof, I would not hesitate sealing the seams with a commercial seam sealing product. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    mbeckerpashambeckerpasha Member Posts: 22
    Many thanks to All for these helpful comments! Heading into the hot, sunny months, it will be so nice to have some solid shade. 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock "Boony"
    Towed by 2023 Ford F-150 "Frida"
    New River, AZ