Options

Solved: How to Slightly Modify the Tongue Jack to Allow Tailgate Clearance

georgianwindsgeorgianwinds Member Posts: 41
edited April 2021 in Modifications & Upgrades

How to Modify the Tongue Jack to Allow Tailgate Clearance

After purchasing a new tow vehicle, I found that I needed a few extra inches of clearance to allow my truck tailgate to drop without hitting the jack handle on my 2019 T@B. I wanted easy access to my covered truck bed while travelling, my setup does not allow for a folding side mounted jack and I preferred not using an extra long hitch ball mount. So the easy solution was to simply remove the jack handle and replace the handle with a 1/2 inch diameter hex head bolt. The tailgate now clears. Using a 3/4 inch nut driver in my drill I could really quickly lower or raise the tongue jack. Using the manual crank for the scissor jacks (also 3/4") could always be a backup to the drill.  Problem solved. A $1.50 bolt and about one hour of work.

Steps

Remove the cover plate. Knock out the pin holding the handle in place using a punch and a hammer. Save the pin. Pull out the jack handle. Cut the one and a half inches of thread off of the new bolt leaving 3 1/2 inches of unthreaded bolt. File any burrs off of cut end. Lining up the old handle with the bolt, mark the position of the new hole on the bolt and then drill a 5/32 inch hole in the bolt. Grease the bolt and gears (if needed) , insert the bolt and replace the pin. Reattach the cover plate and test using a drill fitted with a 3/4 inch nut drive. 

Good to go and clears the tailgate. Pictures follow.

Materials Required

(1) 5” long hex head Zinc plated bolt (1/2” diameter)

Tools

Flat head screwdriver

Hammer

Punch

Hack saw

File

Drill (drill press preferred)

5/32” drill bit

Grease

Camper - 2019 T@B 320 CS, TV - 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel
Scott & the S.S. PorT@Bella

My Teardrop Mods  https://georgianwinds.wixsite.com/teardropmods