Options

Any experience with Weize lithium batteries and warranty

I'm going to take the plunge and go lithium.  It will be a single 100ah battery to replace the stock 75ah lead-acid.  I've been looking at batteries and the Weize battery looks good.  It's been reviewed by Will Prowse and he speaks highly of its build quality and reviews on Amazon look good.  It's $399 on Amazon now and it has the cold temp cutoff that I need because of where we camp.

One thing bothers me and that's the customer service and warranty.  The battery has a 10 year warranty but I can't find any information on what the warranty covers and I cannot find any website or phone number for a contact.  Search Weize website or Weize customer service and you just find dead ends.  The warranty does no good if you can't contact anyone.

Has anyone had experience with Weize?  They've been making batteries for a while and their parent company make TPMS stuff for cars, so it's a bit of a mystery as to why I can't find any information on them.

An alternative could be the CHINS battery, currently for $319.  It has good reviews and their customer service seems good based on the reviews I read.  I can install a Victron Battery Sense for $40 to pair up with the Victron mppt charger to get the cold temp cutoff.  That battery has a 3 yr warranty.  Or Renogy has their 100ah Bluetooth battery on sale for $550 with a 5 year pro-rated warranty and the low temp cutoff.

Thanks for any feedback!  
2021 320S BD
2006 F-150
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    My thinking is that if you can't find any info on them now, you certainly won't if you need warranty service.  My experience has been that outfits that brag about their great quality, wonderful warranty, and superior service but make it difficult to contact them probably have a reason for hiding.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,678
    edited February 2022
    It is astonishing the price drops on these 100ah batteries. I bought the "AmpereTime" 100ah back in September for 400 dollars, knowing going in that it did not have low temp sensors.  I'll use a temp monitor on my solar controller (not a Victron).  My camping "low temp protection" would cut in long before it got cold enough for the battery! 
    I am a Will Prowse fan, and his battery reviews were so compelling I bought the lithium, even though it is a bit of overkill for me.  The price was right, and he showed me exactly what I was buying.  If I was truly brave, I would have bought the components and made my own lithium.  It really seems pretty easy to do.
    This is Will's review of the Weize, from October 2021. He has the exact reservations as you do about the lack of contact, etc.  He has many reviews of many different batteries that are available, that might be just as nice as the Wieze, with a little better customer service.  (Try to arrange  your videos by newest:  the lithium battery space is changing very rapidly.  On another thread tonight, someone here installed 400 ah of lithium for "only" 1400 dollars, which is pretty amazing.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    As another data point, I’m putting two Ampere Time 100s in my 400 next month. I’ll keep you all posted on the results.
    My OE batteries are not lasting as they once did and I need the humidification feature on my CPAP so I don’t destroy my sinuses. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    gibsitogibsito Member Posts: 1
    I realize this was posted awhile ago, but for anyone else who winds up here looking for Weize warranty info, you can find it here:  https://www.weizeus.com/pages/warranty-policy .   There is contact info on that page as well.   They have a California warehouse and presumably process US warranty claims there.  My biggest question is 'how difficult is it to successfully file a warranty claim with them?'   I've found precious little info on that. 

One review I saw was from a man who had three batteries go bad in 10 months.  He said Weize wanted him to bring the batteries to them in California, but he lived in Alabama.  On their site they ask people with warranty claims to send them photos or videos of the issue.  In my experience with other vendors that was enough to get the claim approved, and they'd send me a new item without me having to return the defective one.   But will Weize do that?  I have no idea.  As far as the man with the bad batteries, did he cause that to happen or was it defective batteries?   It's impossible to know for sure.
  • Options
    ocasioocasio Member Posts: 1
    In my opinion, if you can't find any information here now, you certainly won't if you need warranty service.  My experience has been in my electric bike that have good quality, long-time wonderful warranty, and superior service. 
  • Options
    techietabtechietab Member Posts: 159
    I have had 2x 100Ah Weize batteries (mounted in the tongue compartment) in my 2021 320 S since August and am very happy. The only major downside to them IMO is the lack of onboard heating capability for colder months.

I built my own battery heat system for them (12v tank heater pad from Facon attached to an aluminum panel cut to size, piece of foamboard insulation underneath, wrapped sides of each battery in several layers of radiant barrier), and I use a Victron Smart Battery Sense device mounted in between the batteries to monitor temperatures. I have the heat pad directly wired into bus bars I installed, and mounted a generic toggle switch to turn the heat pad on/off (though it has its own thermocoupler to auto-regulate when on). The batteries are able to maintain a nice steady ~50-54 fahrenheit when the ambient air is in the low 30's.

Northern VA
    2022 T@b 320 S / 2021 Subaru Outback