Options

Backup/Observation Camera Idea

I’ve had a couple of Logitech Circle View cameras in my home and have wondered if they might work as a backup/observation camera for my Tab 400.   The thought is to attach the camera inside the rear window with a suction cup or Velcro while traveling.   The camera comes with a 10 foot USB cable which I could plug into the outlet in the cubby by the bed.   I’d use my iPhone to receive the image in the cab of my truck.

Thoughts on if/how this might work?
2021 Tab 400 Boondock, 2021 Toyota Tacoma, Juno Beach Florida

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    I'm not familiar with the Logitech cameras but I have been using a similar setup with a NUCAM (NOT anything to do with nuCamp!) camera from an outfit called Nuvending.com.  It is powered by the USB port in the trailer and connects via bluetooth to my iPad in the tow vehicle.  I have the camera attached with a suction cup to the rear window of my 400.
    I also have a surveillance (Petcam, Nannycam, Babycam,etc) camera from Wyze.com that I think might also work and is much, much less expensive.  The only issue with the Wyze camera is that it needs wifi.  I'm wondering if the hotspot on my iPhone or iPad would work.  If so, the benefit would be that you can check up on your pets, campsite, etc. when you are away from camp.  I will report as I explore this further.
  • Options
    screwlosescrewlose Member Posts: 18
    Pretty sure it is going to require a constant Internet Connection to work.
    If it mentions HomeKit at all it needs a connection back to Apple to work.
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    Wouldn’t my iPhone give me the Apple connection?   I think you are right about wifi - would need to work off the hotspot.
  • Options
    rrcbovrrcbov Member Posts: 109
    . . .  I have the camera attached with a suction cup to the rear window of my 400 . . .
    I going to try a Wyze camera on my upcoming trip - will report back.  Do you have a picture of the suction cup arrangement?   Was thinking of using a suction cup soap dish to attach the Wyze
  • Options
    @rrcbov
    I am using Delkin Devices Fat Gecko suction mounts for a variety of cameras.  They seem to hold suction very well even in the hot Texas summers.  Not really very pricey either.  Check bhphotovideo.com.  Search for Delkin Fat Gecko suction mounts.
    Wyze has a window mount for their Wyze Cam V3 but it is a permanent mount (although I think you can take the camera out of the mount) and I'm not sure I would want to commit to something permanent while I am experimenting.  The Wyze Cam V3 has a 1/4"x20 screw thread on the bottom and will attach to most camera mounting systems.
  • Options
    maxwellllllmaxwellllll Member Posts: 15
    @falcon1970 @rrcbov Just curious if either of y'all (or anyone else!) has found a functional solution for this.  I want to add a simple backup camera to my 400 that would A) mount on the interior of the window, and B) that is capable of transmitting to the front seat of my tow vehicle.  
  • Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    I recently got this backup camera from Costco: https://www.costco.com/hd-solar-powered-backup-camera-with-6-hd-monitor-and-adjustable-lens.product.100975703.html

I have used it on 2 trips and it works perfect! I had to use their special extender hardware they included to attach the frame as the license plate light got in the way but that was no problem. I was worried about range since this is intended for a vehicle but I know it works no problem from 25 feet or so (from my Tab 320 to where the monitor is in our TV). My only complaint is that it has an auto shutoff on the monitor that even at the highest setting will shutoff when I am taking while to back in to a spot. But it has motion detection so I just wave my hand and it comes back on.

Kevin
  • Options
    maxwellllllmaxwellllll Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the reply.  I'm probably still going to try to do an interior mount option (i.e. a camera that'll stick to the rear window). Not sure why I'm so hung up on, but it just makes sense to me.  
  • Options
    The Wyze camera is a very good camera.  I have several around my house.  It does use an internet connection to provide the picture to your iPad or iPhone.  I'm thinking that it might work well with a personal hotspot on your iPhone or iPad.  I do not know that though.
    I have a different brand camera from an outfit called nuVending.
    Nuvending NUCAM 32GB Wireless Portable Magnetic Base Battery Powered RV/Trailer/Truck Hitch Backup Camera NuCam WR Surveillance IP Camera w. 1/4"-20 UNC Hole, Motion Detection Recording Night Vision 31 reviews Regular price $199.99 View     
    It works well as a rear view cmerta on my TAB but I wish the focal length was a little shorter.  By the time I get a good view of a vehicle behind me that vehicle is right on my tail.  I have it mounted on the stargazer window of my TAB400 with a Delkin Fat Gecko suction mount.