Options

Question: Air8 cooling performance on newer 2021+ 320 T@Bs

splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
We have had a T@B 320 before (2018) with the window AC unit above the port (driver) side window.  When the camper was in direct sunlight on high heat days the interior struggled to cool and was hot and humid inside. We now have an Airstream 20FB (love it), but we are entertaining the idea of a new T@B 320 CS-S with Air8 cooling unit. Can/would anyone (with experience) share how well the cooling performs when the T@B is in direct sunlight on hot humid days? Another reason why I ask is the reason we passed up the a 2020 T@B 400 (and got the Airstream) was because the cooling unit did not perform adequately. 

Also the bug screens were useless on our previous T@B are the still the same or do they now keep the bugs out?

Previous: 2018 T@B 320 S (Sprout)
Current:  2020 Airstream Bambi 20FB (Pearl)
TV: 2019 Chevy Silverado (Rhubarb "Rhuby" 1500)

Comments

• Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 1,002
    I can't comment on the Air8 performance in the current 320s but can on the bug screens.  They have not changed, same style.  However the T@b 400 ditched the Air8, the 320 still uses it, and went back to the Cool Cat AC unit which works great in the 400. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    The cool cat returned to the 400 in 2021 (because the Air 8 couldnt hack it) and it will freeze you. It's actually over powered for the 400 but I always say I prefer to be too cold than too hot. I had a 2019 400 with the cool cat and it was above adequate even on 90+ humid days and my 2022 400 is the same. Cools the 400 in no time. 
  • Options
    good to know but we are wanting get the 2022 320 CS-S; wondering if the air8 works well in that model

• Options
    Right, I just thought maybe you were avoiding the 400 based on knowing the Air8 didn't cool properly. Just wanted you to know that's no longer an issue.
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    We have the 320 CS-S and used our AC for the very first time last weekend and it worked well. It was humid with temps in the upper 80's both days and we had periods of direct sunlight.  We're brand new T@B owners, so time will tell, but we were pleased with our initial use.
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    @TabbyShack Yeah, I would just keep the airstream then. If the updates to the T@B 320 since 2020 and the type of camping we do the T@B 320 is a better fit. The Airstream is great, but a little harder to be spontaneous. Plus I have an offer for more money than we paid for it. 

• Options
    @Buckster thanks for the insight! We enjoyed our 2018 T@B 320 and the newer models seem to tick all the boxes for us. 

• Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    We just used our AC for the first time this weekend in a 2022 Tab 320 S. The weather was very humid and high eighties both days. We had some sun from morning till about mid-afternoon. I believe the panel temp at the start of our trip said the trailer was 88°. On the plus - it cools great! It had no problem keeping the trailer at 72° overnight and 76° during the day.

On the minus, it sounds like a jet engine when it comes on - I have flown jets quieter than this thing! At night it was a major disruption when it cycled on and off. But it turns out there is a way to reprogram it where the fan stays on continuously with just the compressor cycling on and off - I learned about that trick on this forum! It was much better! We slept so much better the second night. The downside is we don’t want the fan running all day so I will have to constantly reprogram the AC back and forth. Why they designed a system that doesn’t have an auto mode and a continuous fan mode is beyond me.

Kevin
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    @splatmatt We owned a Geo Pro 12SRK that we really enjoyed but were looking for something a bit bigger with an inside bathroom.  After doing a LOT of research, we decided the 320 checked all our boxes as well.  We love this camper! The only negative (at this point) is the size of the 12V fridge, it is considerably smaller than the 3-way fridge on the 12SRK.  We've purchased a cooler to help, but we're considering an additional 12V. Other than that, we couldn't be more pleased. It's a lot of camper for such a small footprint which we prefer.
    2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    @Flybone89, those temps sound good and probably wouldn’t want much cooler. But do you think the system had the ability to further  cool the interior to a lower temp during the daytime if you desired? 

• Options
    Flybone89Flybone89 Member Posts: 59
    @splatmatt I think so - the only test variable missing for me was we probably had less direct sunlight all day. But at one point we were actually chilly in the trailer when it was well over 80/80 temp/humidity. That was partly due to the fact that the thermostat doesn’t seem to be very accurate. We had it set at 74° while we waited out a thunderstorm and the compressor never turned off. The temp on the panel jumped around a lot between 74 and 76. But it was getting down right cold! It had to have been 74 or less. I then set it at 76° and then it seemed to keep a more reasonable comfort level. We also have a visor that we use and that kept the door side shaded at times too.

But at least on our first outing I felt confident it can keep the rig pretty cool. We are heading to Myrtle Beach in July so that will be a test for sure. But optimistic it will do ok - it just may need some tinkering with the thermostat.

Kevin
  • Options
    acwilsonacwilson Member Posts: 5
    I’ve had my 2022 320 since early October. I live in Texas. I’ve used my Air8 several times in hot and humid conditions. I freeze my poor dog out. This weekend will be a good test, as it’s supposed to be triple digits where we are camping. I definitely recommend reprogramming the thermostat to have the fan run continuously. 
  • Options
    acwilsonacwilson Member Posts: 5
    My update after a toasty weekend in South Texas:
    The Air8 reliably kept my trailer 20 degrees cooler than the outside air temp.  Yesterday was a hot 102 Fahrenheit and my trailer was in full western sun for 8-9 hours. I had window covers on all of my windows, those sew at home fabric ones that it seems are on a lot of tabs. I had the thermostat set to 76, it ran continuously to keep my trailer at 82-83 degrees. 82 is much more preferable to 102, so I wasn’t disappointed. The lack of shade was my biggest weakness. 
  • Options
    @acwilson thanks for sharing that info!  We may just keep the airstream and install trailer mover to the axle to increase mobility in tight spots.  I do miss the the T@B - but after standing in them again I forgot how much I stooped inside - lol.