Options

No power with brand new battery

I installed a 200ah LiFePO4 12v battery over the weekend. I also have had my T@B plugged into shore power. When I disconnected the power, I noticed that there appears to be NO power going to the camper (no lights, no fan, no electronic tongue jack, etc.).  I obviously checked the battery disconnect switch and all the fuses and breakers.  Everything appears to be normal.  Here are some pics from the VictronConnect app.  Any suggestions on next steps to troubleshooting? Bad battery?

2022 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
SW Ohio

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    The battery is showing as fully charged.  Did you check that breaker that is hiding inside the passenger side storage area? It has a yellow button. Sometimes that gets hit and trips the system.  Oh wait, looks like you have a 320 so I don't know where that yellow breaker is located on a 320.
  • Options
    BucksterBuckster Member Posts: 62
    Yes, I have a 320. I cannot find a yellow or extra breaker.

2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    edited May 2022
    Checked the fuse at the battery?  The one on the positive wire from the battery to the trailer?
    I had the same sort of issue this morning, and I pulled the battery fuse...it was good....and put it back in....and the battery began to charge.  I haven't looked or played with the battery fuse in any way. Somehow, it just had worked itself out a tiny bit.
    PS: the Gloso breaker that TabbyShack  describes are in the 400's, but I'm not sure they have been added to the 320.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    I definitely need to check the fuse at the battery.  The manual gives the following steps to troubleshoot when there is no 12V power:

a. Check your battery circuit breaker to make sure it is not tripped.
    b. Check your battery connections to make sure all leads are tight and properly connected.
    c. Check your battery fuse located in the 55-amp converter. i. If the problem is not found in these locations, call your local dealer or service center to have the problem diagnosed. 

@pthomas745 Are you talking about step c above? What and/or where is the 55-amp converter?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    This file, the very first photo shows the battery fuse I'm talking about.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3512/fuses-for-newbies/p1
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 447
    The converter is part of the "power center" aka where the breakers and fuses are. There are two different "safeties" between the battery and the 12V distribution. One is the 40A fuse at the bottom which is the reverse polarity fuse. It protects agains accidentally connecting the battery cables the wrong way. Then there is a circuit breaker that sits close to the battery. In my older 320 it is right in the positive battery cable. This one protects against the cable coming from the battery shorting out, e.g. rubbed through insulation. 
  • Options
    I checked the fuses in the "power center" but didn't think to check the line fuse at the battery. I'll bet that's it. We keep it at my daughter's house so I will check it tomorrow. Thanks for the responses.
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Update: it was one of the line fuses coming off the battery. Once I replaced it, the power was restored to the camper.  However, the Ultra-Fab Electric Tongue Jack (3502-7) still does not work.  I checked the the 30 amp slow blow fuse and it looks okay.  I didn't have an extra one nor did I have my multimeter to test continuity, so I'm only going on sight.

If the fuse is not the culprit, does anyone have any other ideas about what I could check?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Buckster I had the ultrafab jack and HATED it. I spent more time replacing blown fuses in that thing than it saved me in jacking time! 
  • Options
    @TabbyShack Besides the 30 amp slow blow fuse on the wire, are there any others in the unit itself?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited May 2022
    Not that I recall.  Are you sure the fuse is good? On mine the fuse would blow if I raised it too high and also if I lowered it too low. Do you by chance have it currently in either maxed out position? 
  • Options
    The fuse looks okay but until I put my multimeter on it, I don't know for sure.  I did raise it up to the max, so that may be it. According to the manual, it automatically shuts off for 15 seconds. This is unresponsive. I'll check the fuse.
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    I ended up ordering a big pack of 30amp fuses and I kept them close at hand and I ended up having to put in a new fuse twice almost every trip. I put my manual jack back on and here I am 6-7 years later and I won't even consider a power jack. I even exchanged the one I had thinking it was bad but second one did the same thing.  
  • Options
    Quick question: Is there a difference between a 30 amp slow blow fuse and a 30 amp glass fuse? Will they both work in this application (with my electric tongue jack)?
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 447
    Everything you (n)ever wanted know: https://components101.com/articles/choosing-between-slow-blow-and-fast-blow-fuse-for-power-protection

A slow blow can handle brief high current situations which might be beneficial with the tongue jack reaching the end of its travel. 
  • Options
    I just replaced the fuse and it didn’t correct the problem. The lights on the jack come on so I know it’s receiving power. I called Ultra-Fab and they are doing a warranty replacement. It was used less than 10 times. 
    2018 Nissan Frontier 4x4
    SW Ohio
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    I frequetly had issues with the fuse to trailer jack on a Vintage 1960 Avion. New electric jack.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country