Options

Bottom Cover Removal on TAB 320 Boondock

Anyone have experience with this?  Not much found on the search.  Noticed water dripping from the plastic undercover at the edge on driver-side wheel while repacking bearings.  Removed fasteners and plates from the driver-side edge of the cover and a pint or so of fresh water poured out.  2 weeks ago dewinterized AF from water lines and sanitized the lines.  Did not notice any water under TAB at that time.  No pink discoloration, chlorine smell or old stale water smell in this mostly clear collected water.  I'm guessing there is a fresh water system leak somewhere under there so need to inspect.  Tips for removing the bottom cover?
2021 320S BD
2020 V6 Chevy Colorado

Comments

• Options
    BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 271
    Do you store your trailer in the open? Is it possible this is rainwater?
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    The bottom 'air shield' is not watertight so if the trailer is towed in wet conditions for example water between the Tab Floor and Air Shield is not surprising.  Everytime I've lowered a section of the Air Shield I've gotten a bath - - - however trailer has no plumbing leaks, holds pressure for days - - -

As for tips on removing the Air Shield . . . none, just know that removing all the screws is easy . . . while getting them back into the same frame holes is a real pain.  If you don't have a project reason to  drop the Air Shield - - - save yourself and your back some pain and leave it be - - -
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    Wondered about rainwater possibility.  It is stored in the open now but could not figure out how that could be given the air shield appeared connected properly all around and the front and back had upturned ends.  Water does find a way I guess.  Fresh water tank does maintain its pressure too which is a good point.  Interesting.  Will continue to observe.  Thank you.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    Maple_GeekMaple_Geek Member Posts: 203
    A bit off topic but while you're looking at the bottom cover, take a look at the screws holding the brackets that hold the cover in place. I've found that several of mine were just snapped off due to corrosion so I bought some #8x3/4" stainless steel self tapping screws to reinforce.
    2022 T@B 320S Boondock
    2021 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off Road
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Instagram: new.t@bventure
  • Options
    crosstrnrcrosstrnr Member Posts: 20
    I just removed the cover on my 2019 320s Boondock Edge and found the cavity filled with wet leaves. We park in the driveway and I can only assume the leaves came in when we were blowing leaves last fall.

Removing and re-installing the over was fairly easy. I used a drill/driver with a 5/16" nut driver. Just be sure to line up each screw with its hole when putting them back in.
    2019 320s Boondock Edge
    TV is 2007 Kia Sorento EX with 3.8L engine
  • Options
    crosstrnrcrosstrnr Member Posts: 20
    Here's a picture which shows where mud and leaves came in.

2019 320s Boondock Edge
    TV is 2007 Kia Sorento EX with 3.8L engine
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    It would sure be nice if NuCamp would have enclosed the bottom with Azdel as I saw a big snake crawl up into mine! I drove it around the neighborhood  hitting as many bumps as I could find trying to get him discouraged from making it his permanent home! Never was sure if he left! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,676
    My family lived in Goose Creek, SC, a suburb of Charleston.  Went back for a visit, and there was a big birthday party for a 2 year old across the street.  Cake, kids, BBQ, drinking, NASCAR.  Lots of fun.  Grandma gets in her car to leave....and discovers a rather large snake curled up in the passenger seat, and, correctly, goes into a full panic attack.  The snake...just disappeared into the area behind the dash of the car.  Daughters take grandma to the ER for a checkup,  and the dads (did I mention drinking?) decide to start dismantling the car to find the snake.  Lots of kids in a uproar about getting to see a snake!  Somehow, the Goose Creek police show up.  Car parts start coming off, no sign of the snake.  Someone remembers Luke, one of the neighbors, had snakes and iguanas as pets, and he was summoned over.  He quietly explained the snake was comfy and warm where it was, and the best way to remove it was to make it uncomfortable.  Using a small fan, and he blew air all around the dash area.  The snake, who wanted a warmer spot, crawled out from the area near the firewall.  Luke simply grabbed it carefully and lifted it out.  (Not poisonous, but I don't remember what kind of snake). The kids were thrilled.  Took the boys about 4 days to get Grandma's car back into driveable condition.  This was the most South Carolina day ever.
    Long story short: if you want to remove a snake from a comfy and warm spot, get some cold air in there and it will come out!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    MobeanMobean Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2023
    I had 2 screws break off from corrosion.  Able to remove one but could not get the other.  Put everything back and replaced with stainless steel as you did Maple_Geek.  I plan to replace the rest before summer's end following a squirt of Kroil...
    Interesting snake stories but cannot figure out how a snake got under there let alone leaves or water.
    2021 320S BD
    2020 V6 Chevy Colorado
  • Options
    MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 106
    I have water dripping after it rains.  I wondered if it can seep through flooring where I have dampness?   
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin