Options

How do I connect my iPad to the Television?

Hi, I have a display connector to HDMI Cable for my iPad. But nothing happens when I connect it to the television. Has anyone had success with this?

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I've had success with it.
    • Use the Digital AV adapter (lightning or USB-C depending on your iPad) made by Apple (knock-offs may not work for DRM content)
    • Plug both the HDMI cable and power cord into the adapter
    • Plug the power cord into a power source
    • Plug the HDMI cable into the TV
    • Set the TV input to HDMI
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Some people have had trouble getting DRM content (Netflix etc) to display on the TV using non-Apple adapters. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    KC_CampsKC_Camps Member Posts: 6
    Thank thank you so much! I searched the Forum first, and finding nothing, I worried it was too dumb a question!
  • Options
    rcarlson1957rcarlson1957 Member Posts: 180
    Just heads up. Many of the popular streaming services (Amazon Prime and Netflix) no longer support Apple’s Lightning to HDMI adapter to a TV regardless if it’s an apple connector or not. We download multiple shows from multiple streaming services for offline viewing when we’re camping so we don’t have to worry if we have a signal or not. Some services (like MHz Choice - were a fan of foreign shows) still support it but many do not. Alternatively, for those that don’t you can download them to a windows based device for offline viewing through the hdmi port on the TV. We use a small inexpensive windows microcomputer (the size of an Apple TV) in addition to our iPhone and iPad. We also use an Apple TV like at home but only when we have a real good WIFi signal. I’m slowly putting together a list of each streaming service, their limitations (downloads) and if support Apple lightning to HDMI interface. 
    2018 TAB 320S Silver/Black w/Dandelions
    2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL (AWD) Lunar Silver Metallic
    Rick and Barbara - North Texas 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
    Enjoy doing and sharing mods
  • Options
    Just heads up. Many of the popular streaming services (Amazon Prime and Netflix) no longer support Apple’s Lightning to HDMI adapter to a TV regardless if it’s an apple connector or not. We download multiple shows from multiple streaming services for offline viewing when we’re camping so we don’t have to worry if we have a signal or not. Some services (like MHz Choice - were a fan of foreign shows) still support it but many do not. Alternatively, for those that don’t you can download them to a windows based device for offline viewing through the hdmi port on the TV. We use a small inexpensive windows microcomputer (the size of an Apple TV) in addition to our iPhone and iPad. We also use an Apple TV like at home but only when we have a real good WIFi signal. I’m slowly putting together a list of each streaming service, their limitations (downloads) and if support Apple lightning to HDMI interface. 
    I have occasionally used the Lightning Digital AV Adapter to watch TV in my T@B, so I was curious about this. Last night I plugged an HDMI cable into my TV at home (LG), and used the Apple adapter to play Netflix, Prime, and Hulu content (downloaded and streaming) to the TV from my iPhone 13 Pro. I did get some error messages, but by unplugging the adapter from my phone, and then plugging it back in with the movie running, it did play to my TV. I'm running iOS 16.5.1(c) on my phone (so not the iOS 17 beta). Unfortunately my trailer lives about an hour away, so I can't test it in the T@B. Also, I recently switched to a new iPad with a USB-C connection, but I don't have that adapter to test it.

What kind of error message are you getting? If it's an HDCP Error the problem could be either the HDMI cable (be sure to use a newer HDCP-compliant HDMI cable) or it's possible that the problem is the TV itself. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Marceline. We use multiple streaming sources (Prime, Max, Hulu, PBS, Acorn, Britbox, Masterpiece, Paramount, etc) to watch downloaded shows off line (so much easier without having to worry about cellular/wifi signal). Problem  started about IOS 16 because of HDCP implementations to combat pirating. HDCP is a living, growing standard that is being updated frequently. We use HDCP compliant HDMI cables and switches. Some services give a playback error while others will just play audio and not video and some work fine (MHz Choice). I think it has something to do with lawsuit Apple lost in Europe regarding their proprietary lightning connection while everyone else uses USB-C and streaming services no longer supporting it. When you did it at home on your LG TV did you still have an internet connection to the TV and/your IPhone? If so, that will allow playback from those streaming services to the TV. If you try it without an internet connection you'll probably run into the problem I mentioned. My wife downloads shows to her iPad/iPhone for those that will still work with the interface and for those that don't I download them to a small removable microcomputer that I have in the T@B. Unfortunate to have to do that but it is what it is. It's not a problem with Apple devices with USB-C connections. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 381
    Hi @rcarlson1957

I experience the same streaming playback error with a OEM Apple adapter.

I'm a bit fuzzy with your last sentance.  Are you saying the playback error does not occur if a USB-C connection is used?  

Thank you,
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Yoshi_TAB  I currently don't have any Apple devices that use USB-C since all of ours (iPhone/iPad) have lightning connections. But when researching the problem I was told it only has to do with Apple's proprietary lightning to HDMI adapter. I got around the problem (other than shows we download from MHz Choice) by getting a small (about 4'x4"), removable, cheap ($139 on Amazon) Beelink Mini PC and a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad and connecting it's HDMI port to the TV HDMI port. I would think a MacBook would work for that purpose too. I also only use the mini PC for downloading shows from streaming services and storing digital copies of all the manuals for the T@B. 
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)
  • Options
    qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 471
    Marceline said:
    I've had success with it.
    • Use the Digital AV adapter (lightning or USB-C depending on your iPad) made by Apple (knock-offs may not work for DRM content)
    • Plug both the HDMI cable and power cord into the adapter
    • Plug the power cord into a power source
    • Plug the HDMI cable into the TV
    • Set the TV input to HDMI
    So I just jumped in here since we are driveway camping until we complete our house sale and we are both tired of holding our IPad to watch shows. I went to Amazon and got the Apple made Digital AV adapter (I have a 5 year old IPad with lightning connector) with Amazon basics HDMI cable and hooked it up today and we can play all our services and also Bluetooth the audio to our JWM72A Jensen unit. I  only saw the HDCP message on the Prime video but the video and audio still played fine. I turned the speakers off on the TV via the menu on the TV remote and the audio sync was perfect, but the TV speaker audio worked as well.

Like most things tech, that may change, but in my experiment of one, it works for my 2019 400 Jensen and TV.

BTW we have a good home internet/WiFi and so we were streaming all the test content.

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    rcarlson1957 said:
     When you did it at home on your LG TV did you still have an internet connection to the TV and/your IPhone? If so, that will allow playback from those streaming services to the TV. If you try it without an internet connection you'll probably run into the problem I mentioned. My wife downloads shows to her iPad/iPhone for those that will still work with the interface and for those that don't I download them to a small removable microcomputer that I have in the T@B. Unfortunate to have to do that but it is what it is. It's not a problem with Apple devices with USB-C connections. 
    I put the iPhone into airplane mode and made sure that it was disconnected from cell and wifi to rule that out. The TV itself was also not connected to the internet via wifi or ethernet cable. As I said, at first I got an error message but after tinkering with it (unplugging and plugging the adapter back in) I was able to play content downloaded from Netflix. I just now tried the same thing again to double check. My iPhone will definitely play to the LG TV I have at home via the adapter. Maybe Apple received so many complaints that they fixed the problem with an iOS update? Or maybe the problem is with the Jensen TV? I'll try to check next time I'm in my trailer. If the problem is the Jensen TV, I've seen some posts that mention putting an HDMI splitter between the source and the TV to solve the problem.

In any case, your microcomputer solution seems to work well, and it has the advantage of being something you can leave in the trailer and you don't have all that downloaded content clogging up memory in your iPhone or iPad.

I realized that I do have the USB-C adapter, just I just tried playing downloaded contact from my iPad to my home TV and that definitely works as well. 

PS. I just fired up my old iPad with a lightning connector and it plays to my LG TV via the Apple adapter. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Marceline Cool. I've also found the Apple lightning to HDMI connector can go bad easily...we've gone through a couple over last 2 years. I used an HDCP compliant HDMI switch in my T@B. It's a 3 port unit. Run the HDMI cable from Jensen TV through shower wall and out from under driver's side bed to the switch. Then have a shorter HDMI cable off each port going to the Apple HDMI/Lightning Adapter, Microcomputer and an Apple TV. The ideal situation is when we have a good Wifi signal at campground and used Apple TV like at home but that is rarely the case. I just updated our iPhones and iPads to latest update and will try the services like Netflix again. Thanks!
    More Smiles Per Mile! B)