Options

best quiet generator for T@B 2007

Hi folks,
Any suggestions for best quiet generator to power trailer?
Thanks! k

Comments

• Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 615
    Honda EU2000i is pretty quiet.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    BZEBZBZEBZ Member Posts: 6
    Great thanks Rich. I assume you use it in your T@B...what does it run for you?
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    The Honda EU2000i was discontinued in 2018 and replaced by the slightly more powerful EU2200i. I have one of those and it runs everything in the trailer. I installed a Micro-Air EasyStart 364 on the CoolCat a/c to further reduce the demands on the generator, but what it really does is quiet the a/c restarts to a very reasonable level. 
    There are less expensive generators, but every one of them compares themselves to the Honda and that should tell you something. Here's an example of one of the recent in-depth comparisons. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1sPy3Al6M
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    BZEBZBZEBZ Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Jean and Arnie. Two favorable comments which steer us in the right direction! Happy Camping!
    k
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    edited September 2023
    I started with a Honda 1000, then purchased a Honda EU2200i a few years back.  Both are "quite" for a generator.  I recently purchased a "dual fuel" Pulsar PG2200BIS.  It states a 59dB noise level, don't recall the Honda noise levels for comparison. I much prefer the propane option compared to gas.  Something to consider before buying any generator.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    AUTiger83AUTiger83 Member Posts: 12
    The Hondas are very good, but expensive.  There are a dozen different brands of dependable INVERTER-style, CLOSED CASE generators that will offer comparable performance at 1/3 of the cost.   And they have features that aren't on the Honda, such as remote-start (like a car fob), electric start (press a button, no pulling a cord), and dual fuel (gas or propane, no more gas cans to carry).  There's a great channel on YouTube, called Gavin's Garage where he reviews generators and their use in RVs. 
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    @Tabaz How did the 1000 Honda work out for you? I have the Honda 2000 but always wondered if the 1000 with softstart on the A/C would run the 5000 btu A/C. Thanks Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have a 2016 320.  The Honda 1000 easily ran the A/C alone (no microwave, etc. on at the same time).  Did not use the softstart option.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 507
    @Tabaz Thanks so much for that info. The 1000 is so much lighter than the 2000, Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    What @Horigan said, or if money is a factor, I purchased an equivalent in size and quietness/power from Harbor Freight and have been happy with it.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 39
    F150 Powerboost w/7.2 kW on board generator! Tows nice too.  B)
  • Options
    FoobarFoobar Member Posts: 13
    The Hondas are the gold standard as far as quiet (relatively) reliable generators are concerned.

If you're looking to cut corners and go cheap, you might want to look at MaXpeedingrods's MXR3500 

It's usually on sale for a fraction of the equivalent Honda and it has performed admirably for me at a volume level that allows for conversations to happen easily within the vicinity of the generator. You can also get a dual-fuel version if you want flexibility of LP/Gas. I went with the Gas only version.
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock / 2023 Rivian R1T - Long Island, NY
  • Options
    uncleb0919uncleb0919 Member Posts: 2
    fwunder said:
    F150 Powerboost w/7.2 kW on board generator! Tows nice too.  B)
    I am looking at buying an F150 in the next month or so. Does the generator work well? Any other thoughts on the truck?
  • Options
    fwunderfwunder Member Posts: 39
    I am looking at buying an F150 in the next month or so. Does the generator work well? Any other thoughts on the truck?
    I love my Powerboost. I have used the generator mode to power my house and run the AC and Alde heat in my Tab 400  ( no different than 30 amp campground pedestal). It sips gasoline too. I have documented the generator mode to consume about 25-35 miles of fuel ( ~1.5-2 gallons )  over a twelve hour period powering my Tab ( AC or Heat on ) or 10 circuits in my house during outage. It's quieter than my Honda EU2200i too! Tows like a dream. If you are used to driving a sub compact, it's going to feel enormous at first. Park away from the crowd! LOL
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2023
    A more expensive option than even the Honda, but with no exhaust and almost silent operation, so can be used indoors. Much longer service life than ICE generators, with essentially zero maintenance over its 20 year life. Easily portable, so can serve as a backup for your house if needed. It's also fairly easy to add a portable solar panel charging system, which would allow you an almost infinite run time, assuming some daily sun was available.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    uncleb0919uncleb0919 Member Posts: 2
    fwunder said:
    I love my Powerboost. I have used the generator mode to power my house and run the AC and Alde heat in my Tab 400  ( no different than 30 amp campground pedestal). It sips gasoline too. I have documented the generator mode to consume about 25-35 miles of fuel ( ~1.5-2 gallons )  over a twelve hour period powering my Tab ( AC or Heat on ) or 10 circuits in my house during outage. It's quieter than my Honda EU2200i too! Tows like a dream. If you are used to driving a sub compact, it's going to feel enormous at first. Park away from the crowd! LOL
    I just puled the trigger on the truck and can’t wait to take the trailer out and try the generator. Love how the truck drives so far!
  • Options
    TabinatorTabinator Member Posts: 24
    fwunder said:
    I just puled the trigger on the truck and can’t wait to take the trailer out and try the generator. Love how the truck drives so far!
    Happy to see there's a growing Powerboost/T@B combo community.  I too love my Powerboost.  Took it on a few test runs last fall and am planning on a 2 week off-grid adventure in the spring.  The generator is so amazing - super quiet, super efficient, super powerful - and the truck itself is a dream to drive.  Enjoy your new toy :-)
    2018 T@B 400 in the company of 2009 Ford Flex 2023 F150 Powerboost