Options

Etiquette for using parking lots like Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, etc.

CandJBCandJB Member Posts: 16
edited October 2023 in Camping & Travel
I'm new to RVing and I've seen several references to people using business parking lots for a quick boon docking overnight stop. Is there some sort of etiquette one should follow relative to the business, like asking permission first, being sure to purchase something from the business, etc.?

I'm a motorcycle rider and try to avoid actions that feed peoples' negative stereotypes of bikers. I'm sure there's something similar for RVers.
2023 T@B 320-S Boondock; 2019 Subaru Outback

Comments

• Options
    JilongJilong Member Posts: 85
    If I stay overnight at a parking lot, I always make sure I make a purchase at the business. If I arrive early enough, I will drop in and ask if it's okay, just as a courtesy because they may ask me to park in a particular location. Also, I will usually chock my wheels but I don't unhitch or drop stabilizers to avoid the possibility of damage to the parking lot.
    2018 Tab 400 × 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD
  • Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    It's a parking lot. You're parked. All you should have to do is plug your 7 pin back in to drive away. Don't unhook, no stabilizers, no awnings, no chairs, no outside cooking, etc. Been using rest areas and parking lots for overnights for 40+ years and have never been told to move or leave one.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    RTWCTSRTWCTS Member Posts: 113
    We always ask permission inside the business (and make a purchase), as some localities have regulations about overnight parking. We try to remember that we're parking overnight and not camping, so we don't set up anything outside. 
    If you think you may do this frequently on travel days Harvest Hosts may be something to look at. It does have an annual fee but adds many locations. Most of the places can be reserved online. I usually find/reserve from the 'navigators seat' while my spouse is driving.
    Have fun with this, for us its part of the road trip adventure!
    2023 TAB 400 Boondock
    2018 T@B 320 Sold
    Racing the Wind and Chasing the Sun
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @CandJB asking permission is a good place to start. There have been other discussions and questions regarding etiquette and security at these type of locations. Do your due diligence. Use an app that rates or gives opinions on the specific location. Use that info as a guide, not as gospel. 

@Jilong, we were once in a sketchy situation and had to remove ourselves quickly. We do NOT chock or put stabilizers down as that places one or both of you in that sketchy or dangerous situation longer than you need to be when you have to undo anything you've done. Get up and go immediately. Trust the sensation at the back of your neck.

Otherwise, enjoy. Even in the back lot at Cracker Barrel we've smiled at the antics of squirrels and gotten pleasure from watching bunnies devouring dandelions. For the most part, the journey is as important as the destination.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.