Options

Best configuration to mount two solar panels on T@B 320?

Hi, I have two flexible solar panels I'm mounting to the top of my 2014 T@B 320. There are three configurations that are possible, and I'm wondering which will likely give me the best output, other factors being equal. Excuse the rough drawings, but these would be looking directly down on my camper from above. The fan is drawn in, as well as a vent that sits port side to the fan. The vent is why I can't just mount them on the most ideal part of the roof, which would be the very top, straddling the fan port and starboard. I could mount one on the starboard side of the fan, but then I'd have to put them in an L instead a balanced configuration. The panels are represented by the yellow rectangles. Thanks for any input!

Configuration 1: Across the back
This would put them both just rear to the fan running width-wise. I think this may be the most ideal setup because they both face the same direction and are as high up on the roof (and thus more horizontal) as possible. A secondary benefit to having both panels behind the fan is that they are then rear to the peak of the roof and will receive less wind and maybe impacts if I have the panels up there while I drive.

Configuration 2: Down the back
This would put them lengthwise just rear to the fan, and I could have them further apart to the sides of the camper or closer together down the middle. This may be slightly less ideal since the rear slopes more as it goes down, and thus the panels will be somewhat less horizontal than config 1.

Configuration 3: Straddling the fan front and back
This setup puts them each on the highest available points on the roof, but since it peaks and slopes down in either direction from the fan, they face slightly opposing directions. Also, the more forward one faces into the wind and potential flying debris while driving, though this is where T@B puts the factory panels, so maybe that doesn't matter and this is a better location for some reason.

Does it change your recommendation if I'm considering mounting them semi-permanently rather than permanently, so I can move them into sun when needed? My plan is hook and loop tape and/or permanently mounted O-rings I can use to pass a lock through the corners of the panels. Otherwise, if I wanted to make it permanent, I'd also do the velcro but finish it off with VHB tape. I don't really see any benefit to making them permanent, since they are light, will take only seconds to re-mount onto the velcro after stopping, and while I drive my TV will be charging the battery anyway. Thoughts? And do you think with enough velcro they'd remain fully attached or they'd turn into sails if I kept them up there while driving without the VHB tape?

Ideally I'd love to leave them mounted on the roof all the time and only remove them when I find an amazing camp spot in the shade.
Jeeps & T@Bs  :peace:

Comments

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 451
    Personally I'd do front/back. You'll  have to orient the camper less to catch the most sun.
    I have the original from the factory on the front and was considering a second but I now have a portable which winds up doing most of the charging as it's easy to aim it toward the sun.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 616
    Another decision to be made is wiring them in series or parallel. Do your own research, but I recall parallel was better for panels that may not see the same solar energy and better for shadows on the panels. Need to confirm the controller can handle the higher current with parallel, verses the higher voltage with a series connection. Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts. 
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    HappyHankHappyHank Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2023
    Thanks for all the input. In the end, I decided to remove the air conditioner anyway, so covering the vent isn't an issue for the foreseeable future. I like the panels on the peak of the roof and down one side, so mounted them straddling the fan and down the back. I doubt I'll re-install the air conditioner, but the panels come off easily so they won't pose any issue if I need to use the vent in the future. This setup avoided an extra hole in the roof and allows me to move them into sun when needed. I also realized for my purposes I probably don't need to keep them on the roof while driving, so that changed my approach, making my main concern security. I mounted these hooks at each corner of the two panels with Sikaflex adhesive so I can run a lock through each of them (8 total) to slow down any potential thieves.

My system is set up the same way Renogy has it in this diagram.

(edits for clarity)
    Jeeps & T@Bs  :peace: