Options

Attaching metal plate for a backup magnetic camera

New T@B 400 owner, just picked it up from the dealer last week. I have a solar backup camera with a magnetic mount. I am looking for a way to adhere a thin metal plate on the back for the magnet to mount. I am worried 3M dual sided tape will eventually fall off from the heat and grime. I thought about Dicor lap sealant but not sure about that either, maybe JB Weld? The camera is a AMTIFO magnetic solar wireless camera. Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Several years ago I attached a license plate holder to the back of a friend's T@B CS with "3M Dual Lock."  It is an industrial strength Velcro-like product that is simply amazing.  I also used this same product to attach a heavy accessory to the interior center counsel of my tow vehicle 13 years ago.  It has held in the Phoenix summer heat without fail.  Last week I was prepping my tow vehicle for sale, and was simply amazed at how easy it was to remove that accessory attachment on the center counsel. Once removed using "Goof Off," there were no visible signs the attachment was ever there.  Can't say enough positive things about 3M Dual Lock. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    BTW, my friend visited Phoenix with her T@B CS last month.  The license plate holder was still rock solid in place.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    I’m in the middle of a solar panel install and, after lots of internet research, have decided to attach the L brackets to my 400 roof with 3M VHB tape followed by a hefty bead of Sikaflex 221 around the edges.  The theory is that the VHB is probably enough, but the Sikaflex will provide extra adhesion while protecting the tape from the elements.  In practice, I’ve found no one reporting failure with this method and I’d think your metal plate would be under a lot less stress than my L brackets.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    RMo said:
    I’m in the middle of a solar panel install and, after lots of internet research, have decided to attach the L brackets to my 400 roof with 3M VHB tape followed by a hefty bead of Sikaflex 221 around the edges.  The theory is that the VHB is probably enough, but the Sikaflex will provide extra adhesion while protecting the tape from the elements.  In practice, I’ve found no one reporting failure with this method and I’d think your metal plate would be under a lot less stress than my L brackets.
    There are different types of 3M VHB tape, so be sure to get the type that's appropriate for your application.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    New T@B 400 owner, just picked it up from the dealer last week. I have a solar backup camera with a magnetic mount. I am looking for a way to adhere a thin metal plate on the back for the magnet to mount. I am worried 3M dual sided tape will eventually fall off from the heat and grime. I thought about Dicor lap sealant but not sure about that either, maybe JB Weld? The camera is a AMTIFO magnetic solar wireless camera. Any suggestions? 
    As long as you choose the correct version of 3M VHB and rigorously follow the mounting instructions, it should hold. Like @Tabaz I'm a big fan of 3M Dual Lock fastening tape and use it for all sorts of things. The advantage of using the Dual Lock would be that it would make it easier to remove the plate & fastener later, if needed. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Where on the back of your 400 are you thinking if mounting the camera?  I have a rear view camera that I have been mounting on the rear window with a suction cup.  The suction cup holds well but I'm not happy with the camera.  This camera might be a better solution but I am wondering where it could be mounted.  Above the window would probably be the best place but that would put it out of reach for cleaning the solar panel on the camera.  Below the window might be too low for a good view of traffic coming up from behind.
  • Options
    RMoRMo Member Posts: 147
    Marceline
    There are different types of 3M VHB tape, so be sure to get the type that's appropriate for your application.
    I went with the often recommended VHB 5952, although 4950 is also recommended for panel attachment.
    2019 T@B 400
    2017 Highlander Limited
  • Options
    gruvtgruvt Member Posts: 3
    I'm going to try this suction mount (aluminum base I believe) and attach a metal plate to it for the camera magnet, camera is wireless on battery so no wires and I can move camera about. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BYSMQHC3?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CJVB17HZ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
    2019 T@B 400 "Dorothy" Wizard of Oz reference....
    2020 Honda Ridgeline
    HQ Vermont
  • Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 88
    Check the post "2023 TAB 400 adding wireless backup camera - easy power" for an easy way to mount the camera on the black plastic trim in the rear. I did this with my 320 S and getting access under the black trim was pretty simple.